Thread: Motorcycle Helmets!

Motorcycle Helmets!

As me and my girl were driving to the Rascal Flats concert on saturday evening the roads were wet and it was sprinkling rain. As we were getting close to our exit to the Ford Amphitheater traffic was getting thick. We were following behind my friends SUV so my sight was limited in front of me. As i peaked around her vehicle i see what looks like an explosion. We immediatly stop in the middle of the highway as there is peices of a car and a motorcycle in front of us. As i get out of my truck i look into the distance and see a couple lying on the road. My stomach starts to turn not knowing what i am going to see when i approach them. There was another couple on a bike that was riding with them and my friend had to hold them back from the injured couple becouse they were so dramatic. As i approached the man on the ground there was excessive blood pouring out of his body. He was trying to move and get up. As a approacehed the girl you could see her bones popping each and everyway out of her skin in many different parts of her body. As someone turned her over to see if she was breathing her head was split and you could see her brain. Both eyes were rolled back into her head. We had a bunch of towels in our vehicles becouse we were sitting on the grass at the concert, we used all our towels to assist them untill help arrived. I am not sure what exactly happend in this accident. The other vehicle was a black 4 door car that all the windows were busted out of. Possibly the bike flipped over the car or the people flew through there windows. As i said it looked like an explosion and all happend to fast. Not one of them were wearing a helmet even the other couple on the other bike. As the ambulances and officers arrived they thanked us for our help and asked us to move along our way. I dont know if these people survived. If anyone know anything about this accident that happend in the east bound lane of 1-4 right b4 the Ford Amphitheater exit on saturday at about 7:45pm please respond to this post.

And people...... please wear a helmet.

That is really scary.
    I see if I can find anything on it.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Yikes! This does not instill confidence in me as I go for my motorcycle permit tomorrow! It is the law to wear your helmet in NC - which is where I live...however I'll do most of my traveling in SC - no helmet required! I would ALWAYS were a helmet! I couldn't imagine my head hitting the pavement unprotected! I am not invincible....

*Prayers for the victims and families*
    ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <><

<>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><>

Faith is being able to jump first and grow wings later

When a waterbug leaves his friends and climbs the stalks, he is unable to return. But he gains a beautiful new body and a glorious perspective on a new world. He knows his friends will join him with their new bodies one day...one glorious day

Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Having been a paramedic for years hubby says no helmet no butt on the seat of his bike. I get a lot of Harley guys in my shop in the summmer most of the older ones that are riding with their kids all agree no helmet no ride.
    Hope you were able to help anyone there. Most people just looky lou and don't stop. Praises to you for doing so. If I ever am in Florida and in an accident I hope you or Kay are around to help.

UPDATE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell
    I didn't see the accident but, I have both the bike and the car involved here in my tow yard. My driver said both people on the bike were in really bad shape, I'm sure I'll hear in a week or so how they are when someone comes to retrieve the vehicles. Oddly enough the car is damaged far worse than the bike.

This is a reply i have recieved from a different forum. I am making progress here and will keep you guys informed.

I thought helmets were the law in Florida? We used to go to "Daytona" every spring and I know quite a few people who had to go out and buy helmets just for that because helmets are not the law in Illinois.

When I was riding, I never wore my helmet. I was all for the "freedom to decide" side of the issue. The one thing that changed that was seeing my dad in the hospital after their car accident. He banged his head really hard on the b-pillar of the car and was really out of it for quite awhile. By out of it, I don't mean unconcious, but I mean loony toons out of it. He would see my Grandma (his mom) in the TV set when the TV was turned off (she has been dead for years now) and other such silliness. I know what I went through with him, and he was in a car accident, not a motorcycle accident. I swore then and there that if I ever got on a motorcycle again I would wear a helmet because there is no way I could put my parents through what I went through watching my dad.

I still believe it should be the individual's decision to wear a helmet or not, and of course people who wear helmets can still die from a motorcycle accident - internal injuries are nothing to mess with, but for me and anyone I can influence, I would recommend a helmet anyday.

One last note of interest, I don't know whether to pray these two live or not because sometimes life after a serious brain injury is no life at all.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Yikes, that is awfully scarey. Motorcycle Week begins this Saturday here in Laconia NH and we get HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of motorcyclists from around the US and Canada arriving in the state. NH doesn't have a motorcycle helmet law so when there's an accident, it's usually a fatality. I always thought if I ever bought a bike (okay a Vespa scooter), I would wear a helmet. I hope those people are going to be okay.

Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
    I thought helmets were the law in Florida? We used to go to "Daytona" every spring and I know quite a few people who had to go out and buy helmets just for that because helmets are not the law in Illinois.
    The helmet law changed here a few years ago, now bikers are not required to wear them. Yeah, Daytona is really big with bikes. Every spring Daytona has "Bike Week" and every fall they have "Biketober Fest".
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Originally posted by KBlaix
    The helmet law changed here a few years ago, now bikers are not required to wear them. Yeah, Daytona is really big with bikes. Every spring Daytona has "Bike Week" and every fall they have "Biketober Fest".
    Thats not exactly true. The law in Florida is that if you carry Ins. of 10,000 or more, you don't have to wear a helmet and any thing less or no ins, at all. you have to wear a helmet. I know it sounds stupid, but that's Florida's law.

In our case even if we had 1000,000 in ins. we would still wear our helmets. It's just dumb not too, who cares if your insured enough, it could be a matter of life or death. 10,000 is not going to cover a life lost.

I've been meaning to comment on how stupid that no helmet law is. No helmets in Florida but yet they've been really cracking down on wearing seat belts. They're trying to make it a law that they can stop someone for not wearing seatbelts, yet no helmets on motorcycles. How messed up is that?

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Yikes. How sad. My friend is a cop and he said that this is the worst law reversal in history. He swears he'll never stop another person for lack of seatbelt use (out of protest) because its the same thign: the law was in place to protect the driver and passenger. Yes, it may not be the coolest looking thing or the most comfortable, but it serves a purpose.