Thread: Did anybody hear about the dog mauling?

Did anybody hear about the dog mauling?

Another dog mauling in San Francisco, CA. A twelve year old was mauled to death by the family's pit bulls. One was shot to death by a police officer because she was preventing the officers from entering the apartment. The other pit bull was incredibly shy and hiding in a corner from the officers. He showed no aggression. A decision has not been made with what to do with the surviving dog. I'm too lazy to get an article on this.

Thankfully, the media has been VERY gentle with this story. Most stations are focusing on what was done to provoke these dogs to bite and how these dogs are not born vicious, how the temperament depends on the owner. So sad...

I heard about it last night and I was upset. I'm glad though that they are focusing more on why the dogs attacked versus just saying oh they were pits and that's why they attacked. It all goes back to the owners and how the dogs were treated.
    Amber: Mom to Connor, Carson, Sadie, Maggie and Grant

Very sad. I feel for the parents.
    I too wonder what the 12 year old boy had done.

We were discussing this yesturday with my family.
    My Aunt said no Dog should ever turn on it's own family.
    I agree up to a point. But....some Dogs do
    not have what we would consider a perfect temperments.
    (we tend to forget they are animals.)

Just look what some of us humans do to others.

Unfortuantely we will not know what happened.
    I bet their were prior warning signs from
    the pet or pets involved and also how their son
    treated his dogs.

----<---<--<{(@

Here's some more enlightening information. And most people are agreeing at this point that these looked to be American Bulldogs and not pit bulls. So sad for the family but once again the dogs didn't 'turn'....the signs were there before, they were just ignored.

More information:

1. The dogs were not trained.
    2. The dogs were not altered.
    3. The family were in the midist of a major move to another state.
    4. The dogs were often tied out in the grarage.
    5. The father of the child was frequently unemployed and planned on BREEDING the dogs for income.
    6. The female may have been in heat.
    7. One neighbor reports that the children frequently HIT THE DOGS IN THE FACE.

Source:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NGQAD3UJ61.DTL

Ouotes:

"The dogs were familiar on that stretch of Lincoln Way, often tied up with rope outside their garage, being walked by Steve Faibish or even roaming the street unleashed. Neighbors described them as friendly, but rambunctious and poorly trained.

Randy Geyer, who lives two doors down in a cottage that faces the Faibishes' backyard, said he frequently saw Nicholas and his two siblings with the 80-pound dogs in the yard.
    ~Kat

Exactly. Those few critical points- being intact as well as poorly trained and continually abused- would definitely trigger any dog.

Are you sure they're ABs? I saw the news and these guys definitely looked AmStaff to me. I don't think they were pitbulls, though. They were way too big and had a Staffie looking head to me. It's so sad because there have been so many dog bites and dog maulings in San Francisco alone. It makes you wonder if there's something over there or a continual owner habit that triggers these guys...

"I'll tell you what I would do: kill every pit bull in San Francisco," a red-eyed Brennan said earlier between sobs. "I don't like pit bulls, never have."

The person needs help.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I just read about this in the newspaper, how very tragic . It said in the article the boy was home alone with the dogs .

Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Thats a big pit bull, not sure about that one, I think it was hardly the dogs to blame in this situation.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Yeah, 80 lb pit bulls. They look a lot like the Am Bulls the byb's are pumping out. And the director of the hs said they have a 110lb pit bull there? Um, does he even know what breed the dog is? Most likely an AB.
    ~Kat

Originally posted by Giselle
    It makes you wonder if there's something over there or a continual owner habit that triggers these guys...
    Owner habits and breeder habits are to blame. Just looking at the dogs and hearing about the size, it's obvious they were already poorly bred by some BYB that was breeding for size and not temperament. These people bought into that, looking at the dogs as cash crops instead of pets first. So it's really the owners and the breeders who are to blame and the kid himself for hitting the dogs. The owners were irresponsible in many ways and allowing these dogs to run loose is a big one.
    Being left alone isn't the real issue, the kid was old enough to be left alone and old enough to know better than hitting a dog. He could have been hitting one of them before he was attacked or he could have gotten in the way of them breeding or fighting. A lot of excitement can get Pit Bulls riled up and it was probably the boy that got them that way.

2 hormonal dogs + an abusive punk kid = disaster
    Love is Adoptable. Adopt a Pit Bull.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Animals Die.

If Pit Bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Pit Bulls.

I saw this article today, I have been one of these pit bull apologists they are talking about. I am starting to think they need to have some more regulations, I would never want a breed ban but because of bad parenting and bad pet ownership a boy is dead and both of these dogs.

They should make it against the law not to spay and neuter all dogs unless you are a licensed breeder imo...

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...AGRDD4EPE1.DTL
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Originally posted by caseysmom
    They should make it against the law not to spay and neuter all dogs unless you are a licensed breeder imo...
    Ditto.
    Love is Adoptable. Adopt a Pit Bull.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Animals Die.

If Pit Bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Pit Bulls.