Thread: Motorcycle owners?

Motorcycle owners?

I had my FIRST taste of a motorcycle last weekend...it was the first time I was even close to a bike!! My brother-in-law just got a Yamaha _______ (?? I don't know what it is, but is one of their largest street bikes) and I got to take a ride on Ocean Blvd!! It was AWESOME! Now I'm obsessed and planning on getting a "mini-model" of my own. I'm looking at the Honda Rebel in black

Does anyone own a motorcycle? What's been your experience with it? How was it learning when you were a "newbie"? What your opinion of this bike for a BEGINNER (and I mean that in every sense of the word) who has only ever sat on a bike for about 2 miles?
    ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <><

<>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><>

Faith is being able to jump first and grow wings later

When a waterbug leaves his friends and climbs the stalks, he is unable to return. But he gains a beautiful new body and a glorious perspective on a new world. He knows his friends will join him with their new bodies one day...one glorious day

The rebel is a great first bike. It's easy to handle, and won't overpower you.

Check the motorcycle safety foundation for rider's courses, most of the time there's a local chapter that has riding lessons for a small fee, they supply the bikes, all you normally need is a helmet and your learner's permit/license. The MSF courses normally also help you with the riding test for your license. If you have no experience on motorcycles, these courses are an excellent starting point.

Make sure you wear a helmet. It may be more comfortable to ride without one, but the first time you get a rock or other road debris kicked up into your face you'll be glad you had the brainbucket on.

I'm not an owner but I surely hope to be one some day. Here's my dream bike.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

a GOOD Pair of glasses/goggles and gloves.

a smile on your face and great weather....

Rent the movie, EASY RIDER....not for the ending, but for the 'feeling'!!!

I'm sorry that you got your first ride on a motorcycle....

You'll never pass one on the street without looking and drooling.

I don't know much about that bike sense we ride super bikes, a whole different style bike and ride, but I know I would tell everyone not to get a bike any more then 600cc to start out with, small is even better. The problem with getting to small, is when you get your riding down you always want to move up some, so starting with 600cc is, in most cases is something you can live with for years.

The helmet is a must, can't say that enough....never ride without one, even if it's just a short short distance.

Here's a pic of what we ride, its a Honda CPR900RR, custom bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

we own a whopping THREE motorcycles,2 of them sport bikes,and one is a cruiser that needs to be fixed.
    I havent driven one yet,but i really encourage you to wear a helmet,a motorcycle jacket...something like this...

wear jeans and closed toed shoes.
    I go riding with my dad everyweekend,and i enjoy it alot!
    I would suggest going to a riding class,thats what my brother did...and he had to do that anyways to get his motocycle license.
    Last edited by sammy101; 06-04-2005 at 08:48 PM.

Some items I forgot......

I wouldn't buy a new bike for my first bike. While you're learning to be a competent rider, You'll probably dump it while trying to start it forgetting it's not in neutral, dump it at a stoplight, have a couple of minor issues misjudging turns, etc...

There are some advantages to a used bike. They're cheaper, and if you decide you don't want to ride after all you can resell it without getting hammered on the price, and those minor scrapes everyone gets in their first years of riding won't freak you out. Also, the lower price leaves you more money to spend on safety gear. Yes, you can buy a helmet for $39.99 in JC Whitney, but do you WANT a $30 helmet protecting your head?

When you do start riding, in addition to the helmet, long sleeves, long pants, boots and gloves are a minimum. Denim is OK, leather is better. (If I had been wearing leather I might have avoided a little road rash and one heck of a lot of cactus spines in my behind) People who ride wearing shorts and sneakers are statistics waiting to happen.

Thanks a million everyone!! I am so excited about the thought of owning my own bike...but I'm very cautious at heart, so I definitely plan to be "bundled up" in all the safety gear! It will be fun shopping for some LEATHER! hehe I am looking for a safety course now. I think they offer one at my local community college, so I'll have to get signed up for that soon. I have some other friends with bikes that are going to help me out and teach me the ropes, so that will be good. I anticipate staying on my dead-end street for a LONG time until I get all handling under control. And the thing about used bikes is the route I "want" go go, but there are none in this size/price range in my area. A lot of street bikes and large harley's but I can get a new Rebel for less than all the used bikes I can find. I probably would have a fit if I scratched up a new one doing something stupid though

Anyway...I am schedule to test for my permit on Tuesday and from there, I'll be ready to head down to the bike place to start looking in person at them. I have a friend going with me next weekend so it could be as early as then that I am the proud owner of a motorcycle!
    ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <><

<>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><>

Faith is being able to jump first and grow wings later

When a waterbug leaves his friends and climbs the stalks, he is unable to return. But he gains a beautiful new body and a glorious perspective on a new world. He knows his friends will join him with their new bodies one day...one glorious day

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    My ex had a yamaha r1, and, it was definitely exhilirating to ride on it. I like motorcycles a lot, and, would like to own one some day, but, I don't have the need for speed, like a lot of riders do. I'd prefer to just relax and enjoy the fresh air, and, maybe go 80 mph. Even that would be crazy, though. I think Chris took me about 125 on his once. Not cool. I wasn't all that scared, because I trusted him, but, it just wasn't comfortable. It probably would be more comfortable being the driver, but, as a passenger, it pretty much blew. Bikes are super hot, though. I'm always checking them out when I see them on the road.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer