Thread: cats touching noses

cats touching noses

Practically all of my furkids will touch noses while they are outside but before playing. Is this a cat greeting? Yet immeidately after doing so, they either form an alliance, a neutrality, or a rejection of each other.

......wayne

( sorry, I got this question in the wrong forum)

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    I think it's a way of recognizing each other. I'm always very blissful when I get the nose greeting from my babies. It's so special.

Yes I'm sure it's a recognition 'thing' - mine are always doing it - but like CC's Mum - I just adore it when they do it to me and seeing as they do it every time they come in - I get lots of nose kisses per day - GREAT!!

Lynne

We also consider ourselves very fortunate to be "nosed by the cat"... Ritz does this regularly with us....I'm addicted
    "Everything is better when Ritz sits on it......or in it"

I read a short book called "How to talk to your cat". It was very helpful. The National Geographic on cats was very helpful too.

Our Lamoni will let us sniff his nose. He will also rub my face with his face sometimes. He will rub my hand with his face even to the point of rubbing my hand with the side of his teeth. According to what I have read, that is the highest sign of affection.

Cats sniff noses as a sign of greeting somewhat like our handshake. If you remember, the handshake started as a way to assure someone that you met that you did not have a dagger in your hand. I think that cats are doing the same thing but with teeth.

If they touch noses with no hissing then that is a sign of peace. At least until the play starts.
    ATB

Charles Kincaid

Misty loves touching her nose on mine just about everytime she jumps on me. I am guessing and hoping that is how she shows me she loves me. She likes the attention afterwards.

nose nose !

Sydney always does this to us !! Of course it is a way of greeting !! I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!

Cats are so affectionate ! Misty is always loving me up and she knows what buttons to push when I am mad at her to make me melt. She takes her head pushes my hand til I am petting my fingers on the top of her head then she gives me her nose and I am putty in her life to do what ever!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mocha does this with my husband... He get's so excited when she does this. He call them "Princess Kisses". She's "Daddy's- Little -Princess- who -can -do -NO -wrong." ........ Shhh don't tell the guys.

I get head butted all the time and then attacked by a huge rough tongue.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

originally posted by Luckies4me I get head butted all the time and then attacked by a huge rough tongue.
    LOL Luckies4me!!!!!!

Ariesrising.......... what a super cute avatar you have!!!!!!!
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

I cat sat for a gray dude formerly known as Tucker (he was once my cat but needed to be an only kitty) now named Otto. He now has the life of Riley in a three story, all window home. His owners are friends of mine who also work for the newspaper I work at.

He loves touching noses with my other cats. Here's a picture of him and MooShoo (Moo's the hairless one)

That's my cat MooShoo. He's a Sphynx and doesn't have any hair. It's the breed.