Thread: Hello. Long Time No Talk, with question

Hello. Long Time No Talk, with question

Hello i'm back , ive been lurking occasionaly.
    Rio is great and happy, and Bax is well 7 MONTHS OLD!!!
    He's a big hairy beast, so handsome,clever, and fluffy!
    My brother has just rescued a GSD 2 yrs old intire, boistrus male, called brandy, hes great with my dogs etc!
    Pictures on there way!

My question is that Bax has quite bad back legs, hes a bit wobbly, not in pain, but i was wandering if there was any vitimins/exersizes i could to to improve them, as i want to do agility and manwork with him?
    Anyhelp much apreciated!

Ky rio and Bax
    Ky = Me, Rio, the new addition Donnie and Tia (the fuzzy ferts) = My Love My Life My All.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Nice to see you! Glad to hear everyone is well, but, sorry to hear about Bax's legs, is that hip displasia? I hope not! I don't have any advice, but, I'm sure someone in here will stories and/or advice to give you. I hope he is able to improve!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I'd actually have his legs looked and by a vet to rule out anything to serious if you haven't already. I have one with arthritis and 1 that had hip dysplasia. The arthritis one was put on glucosomine/chondroitin, the hip dysplasia one required surgery so depending on the problem will depend on how to treat it w/o making it worse.

I'd see what is causing his back legs bad first. Some things may not be helped by vitamins/supplements.

I wouldn't even consider doing any agility with any dog that has any kind of mobility issues.

I saw pics of him on your other thread & he is a cutie! Kudos to your bro for saving him.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

If his legs are quite bad then that pretty much rules out agility.
    I agree that Bax should be seen by a Vet to determine the best
    treatment for him. He's still young and hopefully could be helped
    a lot. Good luck.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I would go to the vet and rule out hip/elbow dysplasia. It's VERY common in GSDs --- it happens all the time. Out of all the breeds, GSDs get it the most. It can be quite serious, so I'd get that checked out. Otherwise, give him glucosamine supplements (and/or chondroitin or shark cartilage) to help strengthen the ligaments and prevent dysplasia. I'm not sure of the exact amounts, but I do know that the stuff you buy for dogs is usally pretty useless. The stuff made for people is better.
    I've been BOO'd!

I agree with Wolfsoul definitely see your vet about this!! It sounds like he's a 'hock-walker'... this has become very, very common in show-bred GSD's. I've met many GSD's that have problems with their hind legs and back and hips because of the way show (AKC, mostly) German Shepherds are bred - for a very exaggerated sloped back and haunches and hocks. It looks striking, but this is the downfall of all of that show breeding ... I met a GSD pup that had been abandoned, he was absolutely *gorgeous* but he couldn't walk on his hocks because they were so grotesquely sloped/exaggerated. He was AKC registered from prominent show lines, and he was dumped by uneducated people who did not want to deal with the vet bills

He probably will need supplements and maybe even physical therapy if it gets worse, OR he could just be going through a clumsy puppy stage ! I HOPE it isn't dysplasia, it would be horrible if such a young pup got it! Bax looks super handsome I hope this is nothing and he gets all better soon.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz