Thread: do you think this is a puppy mill?

do you think this is a puppy mill?

i saw this ad in a newspaper in Indiana. how on earth could someone have this many breeds and NOT be a puppy mill? it took 3 ads to put all the breeds he has!

PETS & SUPPLIES - ADORABLE PUPPIES Q Bichon's Q Corgie's Q Dachshunds Q Lhasa Apso Q Cairn's Q Mini-Pins Q Pekenese Q Yorkies Q Cocker's Written Health guarantees Maple Valley Pets (812)636-0078 [email protected]

PETS & SUPPLIES - ADORABLE PUPPIES Q Bichon's Q Yorkies Q Cockers Q Shiba's Q Poodles Q Pugs Q Pom's Q Papillon's Q Boston Q Maltese Written Health guarantees Maple Valley Pets (812)636-0078 [email protected]

PETS & SUPPLIES - ADORABLE PETS Q Jack Russells Q Mini Schnauzer male Coming Soon Q Persian Kittens Q Beagle pups (812)477-8666

i e-mailed the person and asked to come by and see the puppies. i'm really hoping for the best. that these dogs this person is breeding are well cared for. if i see what i think i'm going to see i'm calling the police.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

2. Definitley something fishy in denmark.

those adds make me so
    Maybe it is a pet store that buys cheap miller puppies?

Niņo & Eliza

Yes, this is a puppy mill. Any breeder that breeds more than one type of dog is most definitely a puppy mill.

www.nopuppymills.com

Originally posted by wolflady
    Yes, this is a puppy mill. Any breeder that breeds more than one type of dog is most definitely a puppy mill.

www.nopuppymills.com

WHOA. Okay, now that's generalizing quite a bit! I know plenty of reputable breeders (no, beyond reputable) who breed multiple breeds. A puppy miller is one who breeds for the prospect of money, not the breed future. Oftentimes, this involves mass breeding multiple breeds.

However, this does not bar reputable breeders from breeding and improving multiple breeds. Plenty of BIS winners were the outcome of a multi-breed kennel.

Edit to Add: YES! BYB/Puppy miller is all over those adds!

For crying out loud, it's P-E-K-I-N-G-E-S-E!!!! Sheesh...

Originally posted by Giselle
    WHOA. Okay, now that's generalizing quite a bit! I know plenty of reputable breeders (no, beyond reputable) who breed multiple breeds. A puppy miller is one who breeds for the prospect of money, not the breed future. Oftentimes, this involves mass breeding multiple breeds.

However, this does not bar reputable breeders from breeding and improving multiple breeds. Plenty of BIS winners were the outcome of a multi-breed kennel.

Edit to Add: YES! BYB/Puppy miller is all over those adds!

For crying out loud, it's P-E-K-I-N-G-E-S-E!!!! Sheesh...
    Unfortunately I'm speaking from experience (working in rescue, working for a vet hospital, dealing with puppy mill dogs from the local pet store...very very sad).

Maybe I should have been more clear before being jumped on. Most breeders that breed this many dogs...is most likely a BRB/puppy mill...

Very few reputable breeders (if there even is such a thing) will breed scads and scads of different breeds like this and advertise. There are a lot of "red flags" to look for and this one raised them all...I'm sorry, but I disagree and this is most definitely a classic case of puppy mill. Granted, not all puppy mills are going to have deplorable conditions. On the contrary, some can be quite nice...considering...

Any breeder that breeds more than one type of dog is most definitely a puppy mill.
    That's the part I disagree with, Wolflady. I don't disagree with you in the sense that any body who breeds DOZENS of breeds is not reputable. The part I'm having a problem with is where you say anybody who breeds more than one breed of dog is a puppy miller. I think we have a slight misunderstanding; otherwise we're on the same page.

I think this one is definately a puppy mill. One of my favorite ploys is the posting a seperate ad for each breed. I find places that do that quite often in our paper. Of all the mills I've seen there is only one that I would consider not shutting down. There were about 75-100 dogs all in clean kennel runs with food, water, and vet care. This shocked me, a good puppy mill? Well breeding for profit is never good. Good luck on your mill sting. I haven't even seen Autumn's mill yet. I've heard horror stories and I've looked for the street its on when I passed through Brillion but I've yet to find where it is.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

well, the person e-mailed me back and told me i had to make an appointment to see the puppies. he said that his kennel is ran from his home. they are all family pets. i told him i can't have a puppy now, but maybe in the near futer. will you have any available then. he said he always has pups.

i don't really plan on getting one. just so everyone knows.

It's too bad you have to make an appt. It gives them plenty of time to clean up and make things look better than they are.

Poor dogs.

Yep, that's so true! I bet that's what they are doing, fixing up everything to make it look some what reasonable, but as soon as you leave and no apmt, i bet there will be trouble.

Its a puppy mill
    So many need homes,and there study trying ti make a buck.

ya know. i'm keeping the guy's phone number. maybe once i get moved up there i can make an appointment and go see this place for myself. if the dogs are not taken care of in anyway i'll call the police.

should i do it? it would be a few weeks before i could, but i'm guessing the dogs will still be there.