Thread: My dog likes to play with her poop!!!!

My dog likes to play with her poop!!!!

This is my family's first time to own a dog. Her name is Mini. She is a Havanese. We brought her from a breeder when she was 2 months old. She is 7 months old now. I knew the breed from internet - it is a rare pure-bred, very friendly and smart. Also, I got lots of information from internet about how to look after and train a dog. The advise I got about housetraining a dog is to take her out consistently, confine her in a small area until she is housebroken. I use gates to confine her in an area of 3.5 x 3.5. Now, she is almost house broken - whenever we take her out, she usually does her business. And I want to give her more freedom - I let her stay in the family room. But the problem is when she is alone for a long time e.g. 3 hours, she will make a mess - pee and poop everywhere. The worst part is she will take the poop to her bed and play with it ( says break it into pieces ) and it bothers me the most!! Please help!!!

Most likely she's upset that her humans have left her.It can take a long time before a dog is comfortable enough to have the run of the house. Leaving the dog in her crate can make her more comfortable if she's alone for long periods of time, because that area or her crate becomes her cave. Remember, she's only 7 months old, and she's got a long way to go before she's a mature dog.

We used to give Mini a crate. But the problem was - I found broken/pieces poop in the crate every morning. Once I removed the crate, Mini did not poop in her area in the morning anymore. Isn't it strange?? That's why she does not a crate and only has a bed. We use a crate only when we travel with Mini.
    I think the problem for Mini is that she usually has human around her and always gets lot of attention ( we have 3 kids ) and she can't stand seperation. How long can I leave a 7-month-old pup alone by herself. How to train her to be more independent??

I'm going to upset some people here - but you are all getting used to me doing that by now, aren't you?
    I have never used crates, except in extreme situations, and do not believe they are needed by the vast majority of dogs, or people come to that. Nobody really understands the workings of a dog's mind, we can only make educated guesses. It may be that many dogs see the crate as a den and a place of safety. I feel you run the risk of making the dog isolated from the world and insecure away from the crate. (I am not, for a second suggesting this is what is bound to happen, and have seen many well trained,happy sociable dogs who have been crate trained from day one.) I just don't believe that every dog should be crate trained and I don't believe it is always beneficial. I think that many people train their dogs to the crate because they think they should and, in fact there is no need for it.
    Your pup sounds rather stressed to me. First off is there any way she could have access to the outside more often?
    Try taking all her toys away from her and only giving her two or three when you are leaving her - do play with her, just don't leave her with the toys while you are there. Get a couple of Kongs - fill with dog food and freeze. Leave one with her as you leave, making sure she has toileted before you go. It will give her something to do. Teach her to play fetch and always make sure she is exhausted before you leave her. Train for all you are worth - short sessions when ever you can - tired in body is not the same as tired in mind. Add a few pieces of pineapple to her food - this will also put her off mouthing her own poo! I hope some of this is helpful - keep us up to date, please, and good luck!

Actually Carrie, I absolutely agree with you on the crate issue.

Thanks for the advice, Carrie. My 9-year-old twin sons play with Mini a lot and my 14-year-old daughter pets Mini like crazy. My mother-in-law is usually with Mini during daytime. I am the one who takes her out 6:30 every morning. My husband grooms and baths her. We usually walk her in the evening (except Winter). Basically, every family member takes part in looking after her. Mini is seldom home alone. I think Mini is a lucky dog that has people around her all the time and I don't understand why she is stressed??? But I will take your advice when we need to leave her home. When she is alone, should I confine her in a small area or let her stay in the family room?? Thanks again!!

I would say - without knowing the dog - that you have tried the confined area thing and as long as the dog is tired and has something to occupy her and somewhere comfy to sleep try just leaving her. Try to make it for very short periods at first and gradually work up. Good luck!