Thread: Tea Tree Oil Shampoo

Tea Tree Oil Shampoo

ughk,the fleas are horrible!And just dont want to go away!So i'm trying what Kay suggested,Tea Tree Oil.
    I could only find Tea Tree Oil shampoo.Do you think that would be O.K to use on them?I only plan on using it a few times,and it will not become they're normal shampoo.If its not safe,i'll just use it
    It has lots of natural stuff in it,If you want the ingrediants i'll be happy to give it to you.
    They're on frontline now,but it doesnt seem to be working

hm... If its people shampoo, it's not safe for them. You can find Tea Tree Oil in the "natural" or medicine section of most grocery stores, and if not its in any Natural Food/Products store.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Tea Tree Oil Shampoo for dogs would be fine. They have that at many pet stores.

It'd be awfully odd if you can't find Tea Tree Oil. They have it almost everywhere. My dad got our's at Walgreens.

At one of the grocery stores here,they have a section with all the herbal,natural things.thats where i got it from.They didnt have just the Tea Tree Oil,and i even looked for Lavender,but i couldnt find it.I was going to go to GNC but it was closed.
    thanks!

Walmart should have it in their Paharmacy. Tea Tree Oil I mean.

This was posted in another board about the use of Tea Tree shampoo by a person who is devoted to her dogs.

"I have been looking around the web all weekend for causes of "temporary paralysis in dogs." This is what I have found, on website after website:
    Â_
    "Tea Tree Oil - Topical application of tea tree oil has caused temporary paralysis in some animals."
    Â_
    "Contra-indications for Tea Tree – can cause skin irritation and more importantly TEA TREE CAN CAUSE TEMPORARY PARALYSIS IN DOGS!"
    Â_
    "Lotion containing Tea Tree oil had caused an adverseÂ_reaction in spaniels. The lotion caused temporary paralysis of 6-12 hoursÂ_ duration in a total of five dogs."
    Â_
    On Thursday MORNING, Tribble was messy from diarrhea, so I gave her a bath with my new Gold Medal Pets Mela TEA TREE OIL Shampoo. I washed her hind end three or four times with LOTS of shampoo to get her clean. OnÂ_Thursday NIGHT,Â_she couldn't support herself on her hind end and essentially was paralyzed in her hind legs!!
    Â_
    That shampoo is going STRAIGHT INTO THE GARBAGE and I am writing the company a letter. I can't believe they would manufacture a dog shampoo with the main ingredient which has been known to cause paralysis!"
    Â_

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..

I just read a bit about it and it sounds like terrible stuff.

Tea Tree Oil Information

I wouldn't use it. Look around and see if you can find cedar oil, and at that to dog shampoo, or maybe there are some cedar oil dog shampoos already. Cedar is supposed to be really good at keeping fleas away. I know that dogs do react badly to the phenols in cedar oil while it's in shavings, but I'm not sure of the quality of the oil after it's been extracted from the wood.
    I've been BOO'd!

thanks for the info!I wont be using it again on them.
    but i did bathe them with it,and it worked wonderfully.LOTS of fleas came off,which i'm happy.but i wont be using it again.

I've known people to use Tea Tree Oil for YEARS and YEARS on their dogs, several different people several different dogs. We've used it on Simba for quite a while. I'm never once heard of a problem until now.

And I just did a search on the net - there's a handful of sites "against" tea tree oil, and a handful for it.
    Last edited by Kfamr; 05-29-2005 at 08:05 PM.

Well i dont know,i've never heard of a dog getting paralized from this either?I can understand if it can cause irritation.
    well anyways,i'll only use it if they get fleas again,it made their fur really nice.
    heres what i used..it's called//
    Natures Gate rainwater herbal tea tree oil shampoo
    a pure and gentle shampoo made with the softest water and a coconut oil base with Tea Tree Oil and pure extractions of Comfrey,Goldenseal,Arnica,Balm Mint,Soap Bark,Chamomile,Nettle,Rosemary,Hops,Watercress,and Panthenol

and here are the ingrediants
    Water extract of Melaleuca Alternifolia Extract(Tea Tree Oil),sodium laureth sulfate,Cocamide dea,cocamidopropyl Betaine,extracts of comfrey,goldenseal,arnica,balm mint,soap bark,chamomile,nettles,rosemary,hops and watercress,Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein,Panthenol,pepperment oil,citric acid,methylparaben,propylparaben,diazolidinyl urea,chlorophyllin.

DON'T DO IT

Last night I used tea tree oil on my chocolate lab and today he is paralyzed. I AM NOT KIDDING. I am praying that it will go away. He does seem to be doing better today. It's SIMPLY NOT WORTH IT. I would much rather still have fleas than be crying over my paralyzed pet.

DON'T DO IT!!!! Some dogs are obviously very susceptible, and unfortunately, I did not find out mine was until I used it on him.

Originally posted by Kfamr
    I've known people to use Tea Tree Oil for YEARS and YEARS on their dogs, several different people several different dogs. We've used it on Simba for quite a while. I'm never once heard of a problem until now.

And I just did a search on the net - there's a handful of sites "against" tea tree oil, and a handful for it.
    Me too!
    I've used it myself, on me & the animals, including ferrets & rats. For all my life, so has a lot of my friends & family.

I have only bathed my pets with it once before, I never had any flea problems or what not to it more often than that. But I make the shampoo myself & used only a LITTE BIT of oil mixed in with the shampoo. I do use it more frequently on benign tumors, scrapes etc... & I use only like half a drop of it when I do.

I've never heard of a problem until now.

I wonder if it's caused by like an overdose? I know it is very strong & you are only supposed to use a very very little of it. Its super concentrated.
    Maybe the already made shampoos etc... that cause similar affects have too much of it in there? Like a cheap brand or a concentrated brand?

I will continue to use it as I use it very sparingly & it has never failed me.
    A little of it goes a long ways. A tiny tiny bottle lasts me years & I use it kind of frequently.
    Sometimes I'll put a drop on me just to smell good, like foresty. lol
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

my experience

This is simply my tragic experience. I have never before used tea tree oil and thought it would be a relatively safe alternative to frontline and all that other stuff. Not for my dog!!! I'm going home early tonight to nurse him back to health. It looks like the damage isn't usually permanent, he's not in a coma, but it was VERY FRIGHTENING!!! And still is. I'm still holding back tears knowing I was the cause of this avoidable mistake.

I'm sure some dogs aren't affected. from what I found online, it looks like it mostly adversely affects cats. But people need to know that the possibility of temporary paralysis and possible death from hypothermia, dehydration, and eventually coma is real. I never thought I'd be the one to say it, but this is a natural remedy for pets that needs a warning label.