Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP!! I am having problem to integrate my new cat with my 3 other cats

How did it work out?

I just stumbled upon this discussion that's a year old now - but if you're still here - how did it work out?
    Katti

Katti, welcome to pet talk, there are many great people here.

Of my 11 furkids that live inside with me, none of them fight nor do they attack each other. I have found a way to determine how well they will get along with other non-related furkids.

When I went to the shelter last Friday (Jan 31st), I had in mind to get a little black kitty that showed an interest in coming home with me. After I picked him up from his cage and began to walk next to the other cats in their cages, I felt him growl and hiss at them. It was then that I knew that he would have a difficult time integrating into my pride. So, I also remember holding a somewhat reticent kitty that previous Monday. When I identified him among the other 5, he passed the same test. This is the one that I adopeted. When I brought him home the others did not attempt to attack him, nor did he hiss and growl at them. Although I have 3 furkids who do not readily accept another pet into the pride, they still did not attack him. Now, he plays, sleeps, and is beginning to eat, with the others. It has been less that 5 days for them to accept him.

......wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 02-05-2003 at 12:26 PM.

An old posting...

Wayne, this post is over a year old. I suspect the author of the topic did not stick around. It is a good topic though, and maybe should be a permanent topic!

Wonder how this poor guy worked out? Sounds like a rehomer to me!

SAS Vt. After I posted, it was noticed that the thread was dated last year! So, it is conceiveable that someone would answer it, not realizing its age. How often do any of us check the year of a post, but rather only the day and month? If you check the member's list, there are myriads of folks who posted once to, maybe, 5 times and then left. I'd say about 20% of them actually stick around long enough for us to get to know them.

If they do not return, as you pointed out, that the problem has either corrected itself or has been taken care of. I wish some more of them would stay around longer, however. I am thinking that most of the Pet Talkers are not kids, but have families of their own,and/or are retired. If you scan many of the other cat message boards, many of them are frequented by kids -under 18 years of age. I suspect that some of them find the predominant age group here not to their liking. Those that do become part of our Pet Talk family, are certainly welcomed.

Perhaps we could start anoter thread-forum named "new cat integration problems" or some such title.

........wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 02-04-2003 at 07:37 AM.

Me, Too!

I also am having difficulty integrating my newest cat into my cat family. My husband and I lost our only cat, Genevieve, to intestinal cancer in April 2000. We thought we'd wait til the end of summer to adopt another cat, since Genevieve's medicines had had to be given to her twice a day for the past year, so we couldn't ever leave home. Of course, we got so durn lonesome that this plan went by the boards before a month was up. We adopted three Siamese Crosses from local rescue organizations within the next two months and they blended without a hiss or a swat! We thought we were pretty amazing at this, but boy, we have found out differently since then. I took in a seven-year- old Siamese boycat, Mau, this past August as a foster, but fell in love with him and adopted him too. He is a very large cat who doesn't have a dominant personality, but who doesn't allow himself to be bullied either. The problem is my girlcat, Dinah Lee, who at first had a bit of a crush on him, but now wants to kill him and drink his blood. We keep him segregated during the day, except that we allow the two boys in to visit when we are there to supervise. Dinah lies in wait outside his room and if she can sneak in, she'll attack him on sight. Mau will retreat until he finds a good defensive position, then will growl and hiss menacingly until she backs off (he's twice her size). I have put Dinah into a cat carrier and brought her into Mau's room a couple of times. She sits quietly, but Mau hisses at her from across the room whenever she looks at him. At first, Mau seemed very rattled by Dinah's attacks, but it seems now like he finds them exhilarating! Is this a good sign? Is there hope? Please, any advice would be appreciated!

Sorry I can't help with the integrating problem, Kittykay, but I just wanted to say what beautiful kitties you have! They all look so soft and plush. And even plushier for Mau. Seems they have the meezer coloring but not the small bone structure of a Siamese. They are beautiful and look utterly spoiled and pampered. And I really wish I could reach in and give that Mau a nice big tummy rub!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Tubby and Peanut's Mom

Thank you for your compliments on my four bubelas. They are our joys. They're all Siamese crosses--evidently the coloration and personality transferred, but not the body structure. Love to Tubby and Peanut.