Thread: Baby Bird

Baby Bird

Hey

My neighbor found a baby bird in one of her horses stalls and didn't want it to be stepped on so she gave it to me. I don't know what kind of bird it is how old or anything. We have been feeding it worms. so any advice would be great. I know nothing about birds. My sister took the camera or I would have some pics. I'll take and post some when she gets home.
    I'm So glad God created animals, I don't know how I could live without them!

Kadesh^

What does the bird look like? The best thing would have been to find the nest it fell out of or find a safe place nearby in the barn, because the mother would most likely find it and take care of it there. Does it have most of its feathers or is it real young looking?
    Not many baby birds live when people take them in. A kind heart and worms isn't enough usualy. You would need to know what type of bird it is to know what to feed it. I would take it to a wildlife rehab place to get tips on care. Good luck, I hope it survives.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

It is grey/Black with yellow on its beak. It has some feathers but not all.

Kadesh^

make sure you keep him warm enough as well.

good luck!

It's not fully feathered?
    EEK!

How often have you been feding this bird? You need to contact a wild rehabilitation center for them to help you feed this bird. If this bird is less than a few weeks old (which is very likely), you'll need to go out and buy handrearing formula and feed anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. Try to locate the crop on this bird; it's like this balloon-like thing right in front of the bird's throat. When the bird is "full", the crop will become large and round. Just like your stomach, the crop will empty every so often. Once the crop is ALMOST empty (NEVER let the crop go completely empty), feed the bird with the handrearing formula. Make sure the handfeeding formula is warm, not hot! And continue to feed the bird little insects and worms. Can you tell me what kind of feathers the bird has? Are they fluffy? Or are they sleek-looking, like an adult bird? I'm *hoping* this poor thing was just plucked and actually is fully feathered, but I need you to answer this for me

As was mentioned before, keep this bird warm! Since wild birds can tolerate much colder temperatures, anywhere from 80-90* F is good. But I would suggest you place the bird in a clean plastic aquarium and place a heating pad underneath one side of the aquarium. This way, if it gets too hot, the bird can waddle to the unheated side of the aquarium. Baby birds are very precious and I'm anxious to know if it survived the night...*cross my fingers*

Edit to add: You can find Lafeber's Handfeeding Formula in any PetSmart. In the meantime, please contact a wildlife rehab center.

He did Live through the night. I found the crop and have seen it full. most of the feathers are like an older one but still has some fuzzy ones. I havn't been keeping track of how often I feed him, I just feed every so often. I have bee giving him water soaked bread and worms. Hes in my dogs crate and the weather has been real warm lately that my room ussually dosen't get below 75-80 degrees. so he should be warm enough. Thanks for the info.
    My sister forgot the camera at work so I haven't been able to take pics. I 'll have to see if I can get it back.

Kadesh^