Thread: Rats?

Rats?

I can I dock a rats tail

I don't own rats, and never have... But I don't think I've ever heard about docking rats tails... What would be the purpose of doing this?
    (I could be completely wrong though.. LOL)

My mom hates rat because of there tail and I was hopeing that I could dock a rat tail

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I wouldn't dock the rat's tail.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I wouldn't think that's a good reason to dock a tail...

simple question..

simple answer... NO

rats need their tails for balance.

Sometimes some ratties will be born without tails. But to dock them would be out of the question.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

There are tailless ratties out there. Not sure how hard it would be to find a tailless rat breeder though..

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

NO you can't the rats NEED their tail. If you notice someone holding a rat or a rat walking on a rope or something thin they wrap their tail around it. Find a tailess breeder (I didn't know they had tailess rats!!) Good luck!

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month

Please don't do this -- a rat's tail controls it's body temperature. Without it, your rat will DIE. There are tailless or "manx" rats out there. They are generally expensive though and can be hard to keep due to their lack of control of body temperature.
    I've been BOO'd!

that is disgusting

Their tails cannot be docked. . . even if they could be, you'd be spending a LOT of money for the anesthesia and surgery required to dock a rats tail humanely. Gawd. If your mom doesn't like rats, don't get one! Wait until you're moved out to get one. Try researching Hamster and Guinea Pigs, if you really want a small pet.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

UUUGGHHHH! Why would you want to do that??? Poor rattie, DON'T DO IT!! Leave his tail alone. Get another small animal if your Mom doesn't like their tails.
    Amber: Mom to Connor, Carson, Sadie, Maggie and Grant

Docking a tail might kill them and it might not, I recieved a rat a couple of years ago and half her tail had to be removed because of an accident at her old home, she lived about 3 years with me.
    Try and find a tailess breeder.
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

Why in the world would you want to do that?? Please leave his tail alone.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    There are tailless or "manx" rats out there. They are generally expensive though and can be hard to keep due to their lack of control of body temperature.
    I thought I should also point out that if you got a tailless rattie (docked or from a tailless breeder), you'd be spending quite a bit on the second rat too (as you'd need at least one other rat to keep it company).

I think the smart and responsible thing to do would be to wait until you are living on your own. I'd do anything to have a couple ratties but my mom doesn't like their tails as well so I'll just have to wait.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

As all others have said, docking a rats tail is NOT a good idea. While there are tailless breeders out there (I bred the first dumbo tailless in the Northwest) it's very hard on a rat. Tailless breeders breed manx rats to a certain standard. There is a great chance of manx rats having spina befita and balance problems, and them not being able to regulate their temperature. Manx rats are born with their hips set wider apart, to compensate for their lack of tail which helps in balance. Please wait until you are older and moved out to get a rat if your mom dislikes their tails. Docking tails just to make a rat prettier is inhumane.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.