This is from today's (5-14-05) Akron Beacon Journal:

Push to find homes for greyhounds

Claims of 500 dogs facing death untrue, but good homes still needed for the retiring racers

The rumors flying across the Internet are hurtful and untrue.

They claim that 500 racing dogs are facing imminent death by euthanasia at the Plainfield Greyhound Park in Plainfield, Conn., but that's a lie.

They also say that the track is closing, also a bunch of baloney.

"The true story is we have dogs for adoption, they're in great shape and they're wonderful pets,'' said Karen Keelan, assistant manager. "I don't know what your stand is on greyhound racing, but there are pros and cons in anything. My father was the first one in the business to start an on-site track adoption program.''

They love their dogs, she said.

The track has invested generously in the future of its retired racers and assumed responsibility for finding homes for more than 2,000 of them in the last 12 years, she said. The track also coordinates with rescues in Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

Here's what is really happening: The park is switching from year-round to seasonal racing. The last race will be run today. At some point this summer, it will reopen for simulcast betting. Plans are being made for a reopening in 2006.

Dogs available

Meanwhile, the park has 200 to 300 dogs up for adoption. "We are currently taking an inventory,'' to determine the exact number, she said. People can call 888-267-1099 and leave their name and address and Keelan will send them a packet of information. Web surfers can go to www.greyhoundpets.org and download adoption papers from there. The adoption fee is $75.

Also, the track is organizing "hauls'' to deliver dogs to regional locations where demand is high. This might work out for Northeast Ohioans.

"We've had a tremendous outpouring from all around the country, and as much as I dislike bad press, this has sparked an interest in adoption,'' said Keelan.

"The rumors are just awful. I hate reading them. There are even people asking for money (in behalf of the greyhounds) on the Internet and people will send money to whoever this is!''

So cool your jets, surfers.
Here's more information from May 13th in The Greyhound Daily News

Plainfield readies for closing

Plainfield Greyhound Park will close its doors after its May 14 performance, while organizers continue to make progress in relocating Greyhounds from the Connecticut track to other tracks to resume their racing careers, or into credible pet adoption programs.

Most of the top-grade Plainfield racers and promising younger pups will be heading for other racetracks, while hundreds of others will be placed with adoption agencies throughout the country. In fact, more than 150 Greyhounds have already been transported to adoption programs, even though the track’s closing is still three days away.

The track has stated that it will keep its kennel facility open indefinitely after the closing, until all Greyhounds are properly placed.

In a recent Hartford Courant article, Plainfield General Manager Karen Keelan expressed outrage over accusations that hundreds of Greyhounds would be put to sleep after the track closed. “It makes me very angry because it’s not true,” Keelan told the Courant on Monday. “We do the right thing. We’ve put a lot of effort and resources into adoption.”

Keelan added: “There’s been so much interest I can’t empty my voice mail fast enough. But I’m responsible for them (the Greyhounds) and I need to know where they’re going. We’re going to do this organized and methodically.”

Pre-closing adoption efforts are going so well, there’s speculation that the placement of the Plainfield Greyhounds will be completed well before many observers had originally anticipated. Still, organizers are making sure that groups requesting Greyhounds from Plainfield are qualified and experienced in Greyhound placement.

Representatives of Greyhound Pets of America, tha nation's largest independent adoption organization, and regional adoption groups from nearly a dozen states and two Canadian provinces are assisting Plainfield management in overseeing the placement effort. Other organizations, including the American Greyhound Council, and individuals are providing assistance and volunteer service to aid in the effort.

The 29-year-old Plainfield track was one of the first to start in-house adoptions through its program in the early 1980s.