Thread: What kind of illness is this?!?

Jasper has HIP Dysplasia

hi!

my friend's dog, Jasper, suddenly fell ill, he's 5 years old. His hind legs suddenly became numb and he just kinda drag his hind legs in order for him to walk. Jasper made a trip to the vet and he was confined for examination. The vet said that a nerve in his legs was destroyed and that made his hind legs useless. What's worse is that the vet said that Jasper won't be able to walk again, EVER! This happened too fast -- just within one day. The vet also said that his liver is failing. HOW COME?!? What kind of sickness is this???

Hope that somebody will be able to help me and my friend.

Thank you.
    Last edited by ellensy; 01-28-2002 at 07:19 PM.
    ~eLLeN~

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~~Anatole France~~

If her vet doesn't know, I hope they contact someone who will be able to help. We have an excellent veterinary school not too far from where we live - maybe her vet could email them - the Tufts Veterinary School, grafton, Massachusetts - and they'd be able to help?

Do let us know what happens.

What kind of dog is Jasper?

I've heard of bunnies becoming paralyzed in the hind legs after becoming seriously frightened by something. But I've never heard of it happening to dogs.

Did the dog get into any kind of poison by accident? Twist the wrong way (like a sprain)?

I've never heard of an illness that has done this.... I hope the vets can help Jasper.

I've seen carts made for dogs and cats with paralasis....
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I hope hes ok :[ Maybe it's hipdisplacia (sp...???) Let us know how things turn out

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Oh I'm so sorry for your friend and her pup. I agree with Karen. With such a devastating diagnosis, I would definitely try to seek out a second opinion. Did he sustain any trauma, have an accident, causing nerve damage??? The liver failure diagnosis should certainly be looked into further. I have a lot of info and links to K9-carts, should your friend (hopefully not) need them. Prayers for your friend and dear Jasper. Poor baby. Please let us know how things are going. Again, I'm so sorry for Jasper. He is so young
    Last edited by tatsxxx11; 01-28-2002 at 06:11 PM.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

slleipnir, you're right. Today, my friend went to other vet and they confirmed that Jasper has Hip Displasia, and they said that it is in a very serious stage. And that there is a little chance for cure. Is there no cure for this??? They say that if it does not get better, Jasper has to be euthanized. My friend is devastated and I don't know how to help her. Is there no cure???

Thank you for your concern.
    ~eLLeN~

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~~Anatole France~~

I responded to your other post ;]

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

A "cure" is sadly out of the question.
    A "fix" depends on the type of dysplasia and how much money your friend has to spend, I'm afraid.
    In some cases the head of the femur can be sculpted to fit the acetabulum or relaced with a false head - as in hip replacements in humans.
    In others the cup that the head of the femur sits in (acetabulum) can be shaved of bone to accept the head more comfortably, or, in some practices, even be replaced.

There are a lot of things to think about here....money for the most major surgeries not being the last on the list!! Quality of life for the dog has to be top priority - surgery is not a fix all, recovery time can be a major factor and the pain and stress the dog is put through has to be taken into consideration. Likely recovery and the age of the dog as well as the record of the vet, nursing time and possible complications are all factors.

Next to this, as many people who may have puppies from the same source and the breeder, if possible, need to be told about this. (I have a horrid feeling the breeder either doesn't know enough to be breeding dogs or knows exactly what they are doing and you don't have any way of getting in touch with them.)

A very difficult situation and as the two vets have disagreed so far I would go for a third opinion - and a fourth if need be! Two such different diagnosis would worry me. Let us know what happens.

thank you Carrie for the infos, i will update my friend about it. Please include Jasper in your prayers. Thanks.
    ~eLLeN~