Thread: URGENT! Help needed ASAP!

URGENT! Help needed ASAP!

A baby bird was found in our yard today by our dog. Fortunately, Cinnamon hasn't hurt the bird! The bird has been making it's way all over the yard today and no signs of a mama bird. It's supposed to hail tonight and we are worried that the hail could hurt the poor thing. We've made a box for it with some towels, a little dish of water and some bread crumbs. We poked holes in the box and our putting some saran wrap over the top with holes in that. We were worried a stray cat might get to the bird if it wasn't protected in the box. What else should we feed the bird or do for it? We've never rescued a bird before and great! Thanks a bunch!
    Chris

Call the animal control in your town. They will contact someone from the Wildlife rescue. If you know where the nest is, try to place the bird back. Make SURE you wear gloves when handling it so your scent doesn't stay on the baby, otherwise the mama will reject it.

Good luck!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Having rescued a few wild baby birds, here is what we did.

While holding the bird, we took a pair of long nose tweezers and took small pieces of bread dipped in warm water and fed the bird the way it's mother would. We also collected insects for it.

Make sure the bread or insect is right at the tip of the tweezers and keep them closed while feeding the bird.

Does it have all it's feathers? Does it attempt to fly? Do you know what kind of bird it is. Would you be able to get it into a bird cage? We did this once with a baby black bird, put it in a bird cage and had it on top of the bar-b-q on the back gallery and the mother bird came down to feed it.

Have you tried feeding the bird by hand to see if it would take the food?

Sorry for all the questions.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

I think with baby birds it's similar to other found animals in the wild. I only know from a few types of found critters (fox kits, chipmunks etc) that if there is chance they haven't had fluids for awhile, they may be dehydraded and forced fluids could hinder, not help. Any wildlife rehabilitation site would be best, if at all possible at this point. Thank you for trying. Baby birds are more fragile however, and her advise (RG_) having the experiance is no doubt right.

The bird has half feathers and half baby down. We are not sure where the nest is. It seems like it is trying to fly- we are thinking it fell out of the nest while attempting to fly. We'll try to feed it with some tweezers.
    Chris

I've rescued a few myself and I suggest to not feed the baby bird bugs or worms, feed it eggs it's healthy for the baby. I've lost a few birds by feeding it bugs and worms because the bugs and worms contain bacteria that kills them. Also to give it water you should either dip bread in water or use a siringe(sp?).
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

Should it be cooked eggs or raw eggs?

I tried to give it some bread dipped in water on the tweezers and he wouldn't go for it. He was closing his eyes like he was tired and his breathing was slowing down- the breathing seemed more relaxed instead of frightened.
    Chris

You really need to find a wildlife rehab person as soon as possible. By not knowing what type of bird it is you won't be able to properly feed it. Besides, most states have laws against unlicensed people having wild animals and handling wild birds. There are many good reason's for that. It is a really good thing you found it now you need to get it to a person that really knows what they are doing.

Denyce

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    Originally posted by moosmom
    Call the animal control in your town. They will contact someone from the Wildlife rescue. If you know where the nest is, try to place the bird back. Make SURE you wear gloves when handling it so your scent doesn't stay on the baby, otherwise the mama will reject it.

Good luck!
    That's a myth Donna...a bird won't reject it's own babies, and are well known to nurture other species even. Is there any way to fasten a basket into a tree high up enough for the parents to respond? Chances are good the adults are in the area, and will respond to the cries of the fledgling. If there's no possible way of doing so, I'd find a re-habber that knows the proper diet for the bird, and knows how to release it without the baby imprinting on humans too much. Here's one link I found by typing "fledgling birds". http://www.la-spca.org/education/others/wild_birds.htm
    It's very difficult raising many types of songbirds, and the vast majority won't make it. Starlings, sparrows etc. are more rugged, but it's much better to get the bird to someone who knows how to care for the bird properly. Good luck!
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Thank you for all of the replies! We kept the bird inside all night in a safe spot to get through the storms. We tried several ways and types of food but he wouldn't eat. We put him back outside in a safe spot so he would have more of a chance of surviving then if we had him.

I know our dog will leave him alone and since we have the dog, cats never come into our yard. We have a lot of birds around so I"m hoping one of the birds will make sure he gets food.
    Chris

baby bird

dont feed it water, try cat/dog food after soking it till its soft, feed it about every 15-30 min from 7am-7pm,