Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How many of you.....

How many of you.....

...have had people ask what breed your dog is and when you tell them, they say: "it doesn't look like one" or "no it's not" ?

My RED Pit Bull Ginger was volunteering at Barnes & Noble with us this weekend when a guy asked if she was a purebred Weimeraner(sp?). I told him no, she is a Pit Bull. He said "mixed with Pit?" I said no, just Pit. He said, "No. She doesn't look like a Pit". I told him that Weimies are big and blue with floppy ears. Ginger has big bat ears.

Ok, so he's trying to tell me what MY dog is or isn't and apparently he doesn't know what either breed looks like or he wouldn't have to ask. Anyone else have this problem?
    Love is Adoptable. Adopt a Pit Bull.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Animals Die.

If Pit Bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Pit Bulls.

Oh yes. It happens more so with Nanook, but he's a mix & I am not 100% sure what he's mixed with, but some people think he's mixed with the most un-obvious like poodle. Some people can be pretty persisitant & offensive too. It really bugs me.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

everyone thinks Misty is mixed with something, but i have only had one person insist that she is NOT a pure bred border collie lol on another board this person was talking about how she took her border collie pup to a sheep dog trial, and one of the locals insisted that the BC pup was a DOBERMAN
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Everyone asks if Timber is a collie. I don't think she even looks like one lol. It drives me nuts when people see her and ask if she is a collie.

I had a pit bull when I was younger and we actually made the mistake of calling him an American bulldog. I only recently found out. The vet hadsaid he was a pit bull, but my mom thougt he looked like the dog off Homeward Bound, so we called him an AB. Now that I look back at pictures, I can tell he really was a pit lol.

People had asked if Leather is a wolf mix, and if my old dog Stitch was a white GSD.

I can just see what is going to happen when I get my catahoula. I won't mind educating people -- in fact it will be fun. But I know there will be those persistant few. "There's no such thing as a catahoula leopard dog. I can tell that's an Australian shepherd mix." OR "It's a chocolate lab mix." "Why did you cut off your mutt's tail (if he's a bobtail)?" "Is that a dalmatian mix?" "Is your dog blind (if he has blue eyes)?"

A friend on the catahoula board got a pup from my breeder. She is a black and tan with a white spot on her chest. The vet told her that ALL catahoula are blue merles. IT couldn't be a catahoula because it wasn't a blue merle. It was a dobe or rottie mix. This was even after she produced papers and a pedigree. My breeder was ENFURIATED. She sent a huge email to this vet. I don't blame her, I would be angry too.
    I've been BOO'd!

We have not so big problems with that...
    Nova looks like a English Cockerspaniel or some kind of Setter... She is a English Springer Spaniel....
    And when peoples see my other dog Bubblan who also is a springer they don't belive that they are same breed...

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    People are so goofy. If I see a dog and I'm not sure, I just ask. Especially with bully breeds, it's so hard to tell. My friend had two pits, and, they looked nothing alike. But, I had people all the time tell me that Finn is a golden retriever. Ok. But, the thing that kills me is the amount of people that ask me these questions:

Is that a lab or a retriever?
    Is your lab part retriever?
    Is he a lab or a labrador? **my personal favorite**
    Is he a golden lab? **not that bad, but, still a pet peeve of mine, because there's no such thing**

People don't seem to realize that "lab" is just a nickname for labrador retriever. I've never had one before Finn, and, I can't remember ever NOT knowing what "lab" was short for. Ugh. And, because Finn isn't fat like so many people let their labs get, they don't recognize him as a labrador.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Well, hmmmm, even you guys ask if Autumn is part cocker, it's probably because she has a docked tail but I'm 99.9% sure there is no cocker. People like to stick collie and lab in her quite often too. Pepper is obvious, nothing but cocker. Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking when they tell me what their mix is and it seems so far from their dog. I give them the benefit of the doubt though since its there dog.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I have had people mistake Sheba for either a huskey,
    wolf or an elkhound.
    Never bothered me though.

----<---<--<{(@

I get that a lot, especially with Tia but I don't blame them because Tia doesn't really look like the usual Dachshund. I've had 1 person argue with me that Tia was in fact a purebred Chi after I'd told them that she was a Dachshund. I've had people ask me if Winston was a Rottie before (lol don't know where they got that...). I've only had 1 person slightly know what Tango is and that was only because he has 3 Tollers of his own. Most of the time I get; "is that a Belgian sheepdog mix?" "What an adorable shepherd pup!" Does she have some sheltie in her?" I don't understand where people come up with these things; she doesn't look at all like any of the breeds usually mentioned. I've had a lady go on and on before that their are no such things as Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers, she said somebody tried to sell me a "rare" breed that doesn't really exist

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Tia is a chihuahua?! Ginger is a Weimeraner?! This is kinda funny, where are these people hiding, under rocks?
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

People generally get that Oggy & Flute are schnauzers, the most question asked with them is are they mini's or standards. (standards of course ). With Possum, to be honest we are open for suggestions.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole

ugh, I hate this! Once I was petting a harlequin dane at the Int.KC Chicago benched show, and someone walks by and says "I never knew there was such a thing as a giant dalmatian!" And Niño gets just about everything you might possibly see in him, but the be quite honest, it really all could be possible. here are some of what we get, including the ones I think might be true
    Dal/pit
    dal/ aussie mix
    english setter mix
    dal/ pointer mix
    ACD mix
    lab/ terrier/dal
    purebred dal
    and so many I can't think of off the top of my head.
    Layla got the "is she blind" thing all the time, and also the (Perfectly normal) question, "can she hear" also all the time.
    The worst one is when you are walking Niño through the playground and someone comes right up to Niño's face and asks, "Will he bite me??"

OH! Yesterday I saw a bicolor sheltie and the owners were absolutley shocked I knew what he/she was!

Niño & Eliza

People have asked me if Jesse was an Irish Setter, don't know how they got that one, A cocker spaniel, a German Shorthair Pointer, or a Brittany. The Irish Setter question made me burst out laughing! Lol!

With Possum, to be honest we are open for suggestions.
    Possum is a Basenji! People have asked if Jesse is a Cocker spaniel, Brittany, Border Collie, Irish Setter! LOL! I burst out laughing when they asked me if Jesse was an Irish Setter!

people sometimes think that Jesse is a poodle. in fact, my neighbors refuse to believe shes a purebred cocker spaniel.
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~