Page 59 of 77 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566676869 ... LastLast

Thread: Johanna (Cataholic) & Sister Jessica continue to Request Prayers for young Samantha

I want to bump this up. With all the attention on Phred, I didn't want little Sammy to be forgotten.

Still thinking about you sweetie and hoping that you are improving everyday. There have been no more uppydates since the 7th.
    Last edited by slick; 01-12-2006 at 03:01 PM.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I happen to know a little girl that is making her first trip to Shriner's Orthopedic tomorrow (Friday)! This will be the phase of the journey where Sam will be outfitted with prostheses. I don't know how long this process is, but, it is exciting. Shriner's is in Lexington (or, Louisville!) Kentucky- about a 2.5 hour trip for Sam.

May tomorrow be the start of something big!

Catahoilic thanks for the up date. I am keeping it posted here while Phred is unable too.
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel

Oh that's exciting news! We keep our fingers crossed for Sammy. One good thing: during her life prosthethics will continue to develop. She is in a much better situation than a child would have been ten or twenty years ago and it will continue to improve.

Oh, good luck with that, Sammy!

I thought of you yesterday Sam!! There is a young man in one of my college classes who was born with a birth defect and had to have both of his legs amputated above the knees shortly after he was born. He gave a presentation about it and showed off his prosthetics.

I was so impressed. I actually didn't notice the prosthetics (Even though they don't remotely look like legs) at all because he walks normally. He said that his parents were an enormous support to him growing up, and helped him find a way to do whatever he wanted to do, and now he plays basketball and baseball competitively and he'll be running a 100 meter dash in the paralympics!

You're a vey lucky girl to have such a wonderful family behind you, and I know you'll be able to do whatever you set your mind to as well! I'm so glad to hear that you're back to yourself, though I don't get it about the Chee-tos, ick!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Johanna, I'm sorry I didn't see this update sooner. Thanks so much for the great news. Go Sammy!!! You are still in my thoughts and prayers sweetie.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

--Polar Express

I want to bump this up. With all the attention on Phred, I didn't want little Sammy to be forgotten.
    Sammy will never be forgotten - so small but so brave, she is an inspiration!
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Sammy forgotten? Bless her heart, with all of these "Aunties" and "Uncles" praying for her there is little chance she will ever be forgotten.

Sammy, we love you........... and I say a prayer for you and your Mommy and Daddy every day.

New update
    January 13, 2006 at 08:48 PM EST
    We had a nice trip to Lexington, and were very impressed w/both the facilities and the staff. Sam was up at 6 a.m. for the journey, and stayed up until the trip home, so it was a long morning for her. She only cried during the x-rays, something she hates. We discussed the general game plan, and they gave us stuff to do at home w/her to desensitize her stumps, which mainly consists of touching/massaging them w/lotion, wash cloths, our hands, etc., to get her used to being touched there again. We will also continue hip stretches with her. We'll return in @6 weeks for molding/casting, to allow time for the final scabs (from this last bout) to completely heal; if they heal sooner, we may return sooner. Then after the molds are made for the prosthetist to use to make the first legs, I'll return w/Sam for about a 2-week inpatient stay, so she can be fitted and they can work w/her. Most of Sam's "therapy" will be done by us at home; they show you how & what to do. They don't fit children w/"full" (knee-jointed) legs until @age 4, so Sam will have the shorter version to practice on until then. We also discussed the possibility of bone overgrowth w/child amputees, and the potential need to go in periodically and "shave" back part of the bone in the stumps, so it doesn't cause pain/problems for her; this is a problem they anticipate w/most kids in these circumstances, and they watch for it and treat it accordingly. All in all, it was a hopeful and informative visit; it was inspiring to see other children getting around on their prosthetics, and we're so glad that experts in the field will be doing all they can for Sam.
    Sam is feeling better each day, and continues to eat (what & when she wants!); we are not keeping her on the feeds all night long anymore--instead, we let her eat what she's going to at each "normal" meal time, then supplement after the meal accordingly, to make sure she's getting enough calories/nutrition. We're heading in the right direction, and the tube should be out soon. I still haven't heard anything about her labs, but I assume if the news was bad, they know how to track us down! We will see them next week, and see her plastic surgeon as well, and maybe have her fitted w/her pressure suit. Sam's starting to scoot around a little, and is definitely more active each day.
    Thanks for the continued support.
    Jessica

Such good news!

I truly hope Sammy and family's lives stay on this positive turn and only ordinary problems come up from time to time. They have had their quota of big problems.

Sammy, you have so many folks thinking and praying for your health and welfare. I hope some day, you will be able to understand all of this and it will give you comfort.

I am very impressed about this visit. Modern medicine is amazing, isn't it. But not as amazing as Sammy and her parents.

I hope the little girl is continuing to improve.

Way to go Sammy!!! Not a day goes by that I don't think about you and say a silent prayer. Jessica, I think it's great that you can perform the therapy at home....even with furkids, being at home is so much better.
    --unknown

--Polar Express

Monday, January 23, 2006 at 05:48 AM EST

Sam's doing very well, and is once again scooting all over the place.

Her feeding tube is out, and her last labs were fine;
    her iron was a little low, so we're giving her iron drops in her juice.

The plastic surgeon said the last scab should be gone in a couple weeks,
    and she can start wearing her pressure pants then;
    meanwhile, she's wearing the top part, which is like a long-sleeved onesie,
    and includes gloves. She won't wear a glove on the left hand until after her tendon-release surgery, which should be sometime in the next month or so.

There's nothing new from immunology; they are going to check a couple more things, and are then thinking about putting Sam on long-term antibiotics just as a safeguard.

Sam was able to visit her friends at preschool last week,
    and she really enjoyed that;
    she also had a playdate w/her friend Jillian two doors down.

It was so nice to see her having fun with other children.

Other than that, she's enjoying each day, and
    especially likes her daily baths!

Thanks,

Jessica

/s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Glad your back Phred I was just going to add the latest glad you beat me.