Thread: Our cat and prawns

Our cat and prawns

Can someone help please? We are new and have just registered and hope someone can advise us. We live in southern Spain and our cat Honey Bunny is 2 years old and she just adores prawns. The kind that are already shelled and sold frozen in packs. On occasions we defrost a few and give them to her. She squeaks with happiness when she gets them!!! However, we think we should stop now as they appear to drive her completely crazy!! After she digests them she starts twitching and this annoys her so much she runs around like something demented and then she goes and hides. She seems very upset at his stage. Can anyone tell us why they effect her like this? Thanks for your help.
    Joanna, Ali and Tino (Mr Poodle)
    Paws in Greeting!

i think she runs around because she is happy that she got her prawns.

as far as i know, prawns are fine for cats.

Welcome to pet talk. I do not know this for a fact, but is it possible that she is allergic to them? People are sometimes very allergic to shell fish, maybe that is what is happening. Could you ask your vet for an opinion?

WELCOME TO PET TALK

I'm with Jen on this one. That seems to be very odd and I don't think it has anything to do with being happy she got prawns. I really think you should get in touch with your vet and check it out to see if she is possibly allergic. It's definately strange and merits looking into. In the meantime I don't think I would give her anymore prawns, not until you are sure what this reaction she is having really is. Good Luck and let us know what your vet says.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Thank you all so much for the replies. We will certainly ask the vet. This morning she has calmed down a lot so we will not give her any more prawns until we see the vet. In the meantime, apart from cat biscuits and tinned Felix, she also loves Parma ham and Spanish cheese so she can still have "treats" occasionally. These do not seem to effect her adversely. We are so glad to have found this site and will be regular visitors!!! In the meantime thanks again. Joanna, Ali, Tino and Honey Bunny
    Paws in Greeting!

A cat that can't have shrimpies? That sounds like cruel and unusual punishment. Welcome to Pet Talk!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Oh poor Honey Bunny Too bad about the shrimpies but as long as there are other very special treats that ought to make it OK I had this very special cat that went crazy over fresh, raw green beans but they, too, would give him a strange reaction. Cats are strange aren't they? That's just one reason why we love them so, isn't it Welcome.

Cat na Prawns

Hi and welcome to PT. This is the greatest place to find out about our kittys, everyone is genuinely caring and concerned about everyones pet. If prawns are the only thing that makes you kitty act strange, definitely check with your vet as it could be a food allergy. Please be sure to let us know what doctor says
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

We really appreciate all your help. Honey Bunny is on my knee at this moment purring away like mad, as is normal for her. She is very, very affectionate. The "prawn madness has passed!! My husband and I love prawn cocktail as a starter (or do you call it shrimp cocktail) so now we will have a problem eating it without her seeing us. Maybe we will have to hide somewhere and eat it or else we will have to go "cold turkey" with her. I suppose it's like the extra glass of wine - seems great at the time, but we suffer later! We plan to take her to the vet this weekend so I will report back to you all after that. Thanks again for all your help. Honey Bunny sends oodles of kisses to you all xxxxxxxx
    Paws in Greeting!

Thank you all again for your help. We took our Honey Bunny to the vet and she had a full check-up and she is absolutely fine. So in fact the vet says it must be some sort of an allergy to the prawns. It's such a shame, but she now has developed a passion for Queso Manchego (Spanish cheese) especially the really EXPENSIVE vintage one. Honey Bunny is a lady of very refined taste!! She send oodles of kisses to you all
    Paws in Greeting!

What about avocados? Another one of my Krazy Kats just loves avocados and just for a treat it pleases him as much as cheese popcorn or shrimpies!

Oh poor Honey! What a shame that she takes such a bad reaction to something she loves. Our cats won't touch prawns, which I've always found peculiar, but they would do anything for smoked salmon or chicken.

Kisses to sweet Honey Bunny.

Our cat and prawns

Hi, Bamba! Glad to hear that HoneyBunny is okay. Of course she would prefer the most expensive cheese as a substitute favorite treat but at least around here, prawns don't come all that cheap either. Good to know the question has been answered. A BIG round of lovebug to HoneyBunny from me! Thanks for the update.....
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

Hi!
    just found your thread today.
    I'm being mauled by a needy kat as we speak.(baby Zuessy)
    So sorry to hear about honey bunny's allergy.
    I'm glad she likes other treats. Our katz too, seem to prefer the spendier treats - 7.99$/lb. deli roast beef is one of our katz favs.
    If I turn my back on my sandwich for even a minute, it will be gone in 10 different directions
    Welcome to pet talk. I've found alot of supportive & caring people here-all owned by katz like we are.
    Our katz say "whassup?" to Honey Bunny
    Joe & Debbie
    Kit-Kat
    Flashy Pants
    Brutus Tutus
    Baby Zuessy
    Princy-Wincy
    Tabitha
    Ozzy-Oz
    MamaKat
    Ginger-Winger (dolly)
    Little Libby