Thread: Friendship question?

Friendship question?

I want to know what you all think about this small friendship problem that has come up, with us.

The story behind the question:
    My husband manufactures and designs custom car parts, for specialty cars. Well a friend of his asked a while back ago about something being made for his car, that's not on the market. So after some time and figuring, my husband came up with how to make this part, but he did need one bar off this kind of car to work with. So friend goes out and finds, 3 of these part at a U-Pull it place.

He said he got 3 so he could sell the other 2 after there where done and if those sell, he wants to make more. No problem there.

The friend bought the one part for $12. Now the husband designed it, bought the other steel needed to complete the job, and he welded it. Friend stood around and watched.

Here's what we are not sure about. My husband said to the friend, "Now if you make some bucks on these, your going to cut me in, for my part on it, Right?"
    Friend says "no"

Now should we be offended by this, sense husband did do all the work, our power, our welded our steel?

Or should we just let it go, because he's a friend?

Or build the 3 and then not be available to do the others later and let him hire a welder to do it?

Oy. What a predicament. How good is this friend? Best friends from years and years ago, or just somebody you enjoy hanging out with? At the very least, your husband should be reimbursed his time if the friend is going to make money off it. Did you mention anything about this to his wife? Sometimes if the wife knows her husband is doing something wrong, she might "set it right"

If the friend is going to stab him in the back, why can't your husband beat him to the punch and market the prodcut himself? It would kill the friendship, so I'd only do it if they were friendly acquaintences.

That's pretty crappy his friend isn't willing to share the profits. From what you've said, its a mutual project.

If it were me, I'd help with the three and let the friend figure it out from there.

Hugs, Kelly
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

What kind of "friend" would take advantage of another "friend"? I would either charge him, or simply not do the job.
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Originally posted by catnapper
    Oy. What a predicament. How good is this friend? Best friends from years and years ago, or just somebody you enjoy hanging out with?

If the friend is going to stab him in the back, why can't your husband beat him to the punch and market the prodcut himself? It would kill the friendship, so I'd only do it if they were friendly acquaintences.
    We haven't known him that long, but at the same time, he has been a good friend and has helped us out a couple of times. So we are kind of at a cross roads with him, friend wise, if you know what I mean. My husband liked him well enough to set him up with one of our suppliers, so this friend could open a E-Bay store and make a little extra money.

We did already talk about making and selling them ourself, but like you said, that might end the friendship.

We would really like to get the point across to him, that being friends does not mean, you can take and not give back. To show some concentration for the time, trouble and money, we put into it. Somehow making him see from our side as well as his.

Re: Friendship question?

It would have been nice/the right thing to do
    for the friend to share the profit for 2 of the
    weld jobs with your husband.

I say bite the bullet and be gracious about the
    the first 3 which your hubby
    already agreed to weld.
    If his friend wants any more jobs welded in the future
    than your husband at that time can say he would
    like to his share for his work and they can
    come to an agreement.

JMHO since this friend has helped you out in the past.

----<---<--<{(@

I would make the first three and then no more for the "friend". I think he should make them himself and sell them.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Present him the bill for design and time. If it's your husbands"job" he should be compancated friend or not. .

Originally posted by kimlovescats
    What kind of "friend" would take advantage of another "friend"? I would either charge him, or simply not do the job.
    Absolutely.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole

Thanks for the advice.

I think we decided that the ones that are done, we will let be, but any more work, wont be done by us. If he ask why, we will explain to him, why and hope he understands.

Sense last night I learned that my husband also asked him, "Sense your not going to share in the profits, how about letting me put my mark on them, to advertise of site?"
    Friend said "no" again.

So with that the friendship, took a hard hit.

If it wasn't for us, he would not have a E-bay store, he is working under our retail license, getting items at dealers cost and we ask for nothing back on that. If we wanted to we could put a complete stop to his selling, he should be a little more understanding, sense we hold the key to his $$$ and let us mark the parts. Shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you, without that hand, he's back to part time stock boy.

Sounds pretty greedy to me...I don't think you will all be "friends" much longer...sounds pretty one sided..