Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Single Cat Question

Single Cat Question

Hello!
    I am starting to feel so guilty about my lil man Jaxon...everyone I talk to tells me to get him a friend, that he is bored at home all alone. I spoil him to death and when I get home from work till I go to bed I am playing with him. I hope he is happy...but everyone seems to think he'd be a lot happier with a pal....but at this point I am not ready for another cat in the house. Is there anyone here that has only one cat? I just want him to be happy...but I feel like he is bored. Thoughts?

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Kuhio was an "only child" for 17 years. Towards the end of her life, we realized that she was lonely and bored. We feel badly that she didn't have a furry brother or sister to keep her company when we were gone all day. We have been adopted by Halo, Cammie and Pepper now. I don't think we'll ever been single pet-owners again. They seem so much happier to have each other.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

personally,I think,that Cats,should be in pairs,as I think,that every Creature,needs someone,of his own kind,to play,and be with.And there are so many Wonderful Cats,that need a home.

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

There are several solitary cat households here, I am not one of them though.

If you think the cat is happy and YOU are happy, why change what works for you?

On the other hand, 2 is a nice number?

Single cat

Hi! I have only one cat, Groucho, who is four years old and was adopted at seven weeks. He has been the king around here since the day we brought him home. There have been no problems with Groucho while we're gone. He sleeps, he plays, he sits in the window for hours at a time. Maybe it's his personality but Groucho seems to enjoy his alone time. Even when we're home he will often go into his pet carrier which is in a quiet, out of the way corner and always open. Cats seem to have this incredible ability to amuse themselves with the darndest things. They also are extremely territorial. Since your kitty is the only one, he most likely has staked a claim to your place as being his own. He may resent an "intruder" coming into HIS turf.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

BeeBee was an "only cat" for the 19 1/2 years that we were together. I would have loved a companion for her, but she didn't like other people, dogs, and especially, other cats. If she even saw another cat through the window, she went berserk. "Flying solo" worked for her, but now I have 3 and absolutely love having a "multiple" family. I think they do keep each other company and they get along most of the time.

I think that as long as you give your cat plenty of love and interaction, it will be content and happy.

No single cat here either but if you are happy and Jaxon is happy then don't worry about it. Some cats would prefer to be an only kitty. You have to take on the responsibility of another cat so you have to make the decision.
    Personally, I think cats are very social and most of them like company, but that's not always the case.
    Last edited by catcrazylady; 05-06-2005 at 10:01 PM.

I have only one and he truly thrives on being the only one, he's very happy. I would love to have more cats but Sash is FeLV positive and I would worry so much about causing him any stress, that's my main reason I don't have another. Sash also has become quite irritated when he's seen other cats outside and attacked me then, so I know he wouldn't take to another kindly.

If your kitty is still young though it might work out, it's really up to you if you truly want another one, but I'm sure he's happy being the only one too.

I agree with the others...if you and Jaxon are happy, there's no need to add another cat.

When we first got our first cat, Noah, he was the type that needed another friend...he use to use ME as his kitty pal and that hurt!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Tubby was an only cat for a little over 2 years and he had no problems with it. Also, those 2 years were his kitten years when he was most active. Of course I'd come home from work to find the place in shambles since he had to entertain himself all day - one day I came home and every single cushion from the couch was on the floor! - but other than that he didn't seem to mind being alone at all. I also think that him being an only cat is part of the reason we bonded so much. It was just the two of us for those 2 years (no hubby or bf or anything like that) and I think back on those times fondly.

However, on the other hand, having two isn't really much more work than having one, it can be so much more entertaining at times and Jaxon would probably really enjoy having a friend around while you're away at work all day. But you have to be happy too, and if it's not the right time for another kitty then there's no sense in getting one. If you just keep your mind open and if an opportunity arises (like, say, if I happen to come across another overly friendly stray here at work ) then you will know when the time is right for a friend for Jaxon.

Oh, and by the way, we're leaving this Friday for a week's vacation, but when we get back I'm going to go to that store you mentioned and get some of that food you mentioned. CJ is still having his diarrhea problems and it's time to start getting serious about doing something about it since nothing I'm doing is working. So once I get it I'll let you know how they like it and what I think of it.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

When I had a single Siamese cat whenever we went away for a weekend and this was just overnight when we came home he cried and cried so see us back. It was hard to leave knowing he was so lonely.

Now with two cats when we come home they just look at us like oh you've come back. LOL

It was cute to think I was so important to the first kitty but I prefer it this way. No worrying if kitty is lonely or looking for me to come back. There is someone there to interact with and sleep with.

The have never been as close to me as the first one but it's a trade off and I feel better that they have each other.

Chuck has been an only cat for almost 11 years. We did get a dog last year and he just loves her. They snuggle all the time. But if it was another cat, watch out. Hiss, growl and fur flying! He hates other cats. Would be a nightmare!
    "The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen or touched - they must be felt with the heart." ~~ Helen Keller
    ------------------------------------------------
    Chuck (rb) meowmie misses you!

------------------------------------------------

thanks kittycats_delights for the sig!

do you have any friends that have cats too? maybe u can have jaxon play with them.. or just to see what kind of cats he would get along with.
    =)
    i am a volunteer staff.

Tigger was an only cat for about 7 years!

Almost 7 months ago we adopted Emma, and Tigger has changed alot. I didn't think he would like it at all, but I was very wrong.

He is alot more playful, he loves to watch Emma all the time, and they are even using the same litter box now.

I feel bad that I waited so long, and I'll probably always have atleast 2 kitties

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

My sister had a dog that was getting up in years and could hardly get up and down the stairs. They adopted a dog that was abondoned on their country property and that dog got like a puppy again. She was running around with the other dog and it really helped her. We think it prolonged her life.