Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What kind of phobia do you have?

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    I have a phobia about being in a lake, or other deep body of water, and not being able to touch bottom. I know this one was brought on by my older brother (who I rarely if ever speak to) who used to hold my head under the water when we were kids. I'd be struggling to get air, but he seemed to have this perverse enjoyment out of seeing how long he could try to drown me. Nice guy huh?
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

I don't mind spiders, but cockroaches I really don't like - or anything crunchy like them. Many years ago, I rented a room in a villa with lots of them (the owner got sacks of bread from the baker for the chickens etc.) We all tried everything and finally we got some blue stuff to smear on doorsteps and around edges - that killed them!! However, behind the the fridge were all those eggs. Ewww!!

Vomit I just can't stand!! I'm like you Kirsten, I dissapear! Also, if it's about to happen on TV, I turn my head and cover my ears. If Fister does his little pile of it, I can handle it, but I'd rather be without! I've often wondered why Bar keepers don't have a sack of cat litter in the Bar, if it should happen. I was working on a ship once, and the boss showed us how to clean up the vomit if someone got sick - luckily, I didn't experience that.

Blood I can cope with, if it's not huge amounts.

Heights I'm OK with, but I was better as a child. I also climbed the tallest trees.

I was trapped in an elevator once - with a 90 year old lady (ON HER BIRTHDAY!) We were 5 of us, the only one who panicked, was the only man there.

Oh btw, I suppose I have a fear of being stuck in "quicksand". That must be the worst way to go!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quite a few things I don't like the sound of have been posted on this thread (such as waking up to a burning house, being stuck in quicksand etc), but my only real phobia is of needles. I can't even watch someone getting an injection. I'm not fond of blood or anything vaguely medical! I certainly couldn't hang around if someone was being sick. I've always put this down to the fact that I have never actually been sick (stomach of cast iron!)

There was a woman on the radio this morning talking about the birth or her son, which was by caesarian section. She came round just after the operation started. She was totally immobile and aware that she was not breathing, and thought she was dying. After a while she realised she was getting air somehow, but she was aware almost for the whole operation. She was aware of what the medical team were saying to each other. When it came to sewing her back up, she could hear them say they didn't have enough staples and thought that they weren't going to be able to put her back together! They were almost at the end of the operation before the anaesthetist noticed that the tube which was supposed to be administering anaesthetic had become disconnected and sorted it.

What a horrific experience!

Many things mentioned here scare me also, like death, fire in the house and heights.

But I'm really surprised that I'm not alone with my fear of vomiting!!! I always thought it was just me...
    And I didn't know there's even a name for it.

Kind of makes me feel better to know there are other people like me!

Kirsten

Originally posted by Kirsten
    Many things mentioned here scare me also, like death, fire in the house and heights.

But I'm really surprised that I'm not alone with my fear of vomiting!!! I always thought it was just me...
    And I didn't know there's even a name for it.

Kind of makes me feel better to know there are other people like me!

Kirsten
    Yes, I know what you mean ... makes me feel a bit less "freakish" too! You know what is really sad though, Kirsten? I do fear Cancer like most of us do nowdays ... but the part I fear more than possibly dying from it ... is throwing up from the treatments! I have even stated that I would elect not to have treatments and just let myself die rather than having to throw up from them. Now that's bad, huh?
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Originally posted by kimlovescats
    Yes, I know what you mean ... makes me feel a bit less "freakish" too! You know what is really sad though, Kirsten? I do fear Cancer like most of us do nowdays ... but the part I fear more than possibly dying from it ... is throwing up from the treatments! I have even stated that I would elect not to have treatments and just let myself die rather than having to throw up from them. Now that's bad, huh?

Yep, but I can relate to that very well. Had the same thoughts already, to be honest...

Kirsten

I too can relate to the cancer fear, since my mother has Breast Cancer a few years ago, I feel paranoid about it too, of course there is a real reason for me to have this fear, but still it is horrible to have.

I am also a little claustrophobic., have alway's had a fear of heights and the dark.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Quite a few things scare me like...the dark, but only if I'm alone, spiders, ewww can't stand them!
    But a phobia, no.

The only thing that has truly ever made me sick and feel like running away (maybe a phobia) would be watching someone else in tremendous pain. A couple years ago after my parents had a motorcycle accident I was at the dr with my mom & dad. Dad had to have his staples out. Just the thought of that made me literally want to throw up...good thing I didn't have to be in there with him.
    Then I went with mom and they had to remove the dressing from her arm, omg! she didn't scream but let out this little sigh and all of a sudden I had to sit down. I thought I was honestly going to pass out just seeing how much pain she was in.
    It truly hurts me to see others in pain

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Drowning...I almost drowned when I was 5 and again at 15 and remember both very very clearly..so I hate when I can not see or touch bottom.
    Family members dying..I am 500 miles away from all of my family..and my son was in an accident and in a coma almost 5 years ago and we didn't know if he was going to make it..I had to get to him as fast as I could with the "not knowing" (he is ok today, thank God)

Heights..general fear..and it does paralyze you when you get in certain situations..I can go up..just can't come down. I freaked out 2 years ago on a ferris wheel with my 4 year old granddaughter..and SHE was calming me down..but the WHOLE family heard about it forever..she is almost 6 now and still talks about it

Getting hit by a car..I don't know where this comes from but i think of it at least once a day...irrational fear, I think..

My biggest phobia is of needles. When I am faced with getting one, my heart races, I break into a cold sweat and get chills, I start crying, get nauseous and then pass out. It is more than just a slight aversion, it is a full-on phobia. It oughta make the next 7 months interesting now that I'm pregnant and can't avoid them. *sigh*

My next biggest phobia is death. I do not like the unknown. I do not want to think about what happens to my body when I'm gone. Just about everything about death disgusts me.

I also do not like spiders. I can't look at them in person or on TV. I also hate anything like silverfish or millipedes. And ticks. I hate Hate HATE ticks.

My least "big" phobia is fear of heights because I'm really only phobic about it when I do not feel secure. If I feel secure, I'm okay. But if I had to cross a rickety rope bridge that was 200 ft. up, my knees would be jello and I couldn't do it.

Originally posted by anna_66
    The only thing that has truly ever made me sick and feel like running away (maybe a phobia) would be watching someone else in tremendous pain.
    It truly hurts me to see others in pain
    thats not a phobia thats called a: Big Heart

Spiders !! I also hate bees.....!
    I am very scared in small rooms and even more if the ceiling is low...! This morning I had an NMR-test , and I had to dissapear completely into that narrow tube . It was VERY difficult to stay in there for 15 minutes...
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

My biggest fear is probably dieing alone..

I'm also terrified of heights and the dark. My teacher also said that you dream about your deepest fears, and most of my worst nightmares have involved people breaking into the house, so I guess I'm also terrified of robbers. My list goes on.. I can be such a baby.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Originally posted by primabella
    My teacher also said that you dream about your deepest fears
    Well if that's the case then I'm going to be killed I always dream about being killed in my dreams

Originally posted by LKPike
    thats not a phobia thats called a: Big Heart
    Oh how sweet of you

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Flying (I'll do it, but I have panic attacks during if there is ANY turbulence)

and Social phobias

I see others with Social Phobia. I've not been treated for it, but I know I have it. I get EXTREMELY stressed out when I have to interact with others socially. I start to panick, want to back out, just dread it. This even happens with family members. Once I'm there, I'm usually ok (after a couple of drinks), but it's the anticipation that kills me.

I'm also afraid of death and the act of dying. Mainly being shot or a car accident. I have dreams about it often. Unlike a lot of you, I'm not so sure what's there after we go. What if we just disappear?
    Last edited by CatMama78; 05-13-2005 at 10:59 AM.
    Angela's beautiful furbabies, Wilber and Oreo.

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." Anonymous

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." Albert Schweitzer

A meow massages the heart. Stuart McMillan