Thread: Blood in stool

Blood in stool

Hello;

I have a 7 yr old english cocker spaniel. Today I noticed some blood in his stool which was very wet (ie, diarrea). I've noticed him eating grass when he's been outside. I'm just wondering how concerned I should be by this.

Thank you,
    Gregg

I would get him to the vet right away! Wet bloody stool is very serious. Dogs will eat grass when they feel sick.

Does he have any other symptoms?
    I've been BOO'd!

The most likely cause

if that's the only symptom are intestinal parasites such as worms. It's also possible puppy has a slight case of food poisoning or a bacterial infection. Blood in diarrhea is not unusual for a bacterial infection, and the usual treatment of metronidazole plus antibiotics clear it up.

The guess here is that a quick trip to the Vet for a fecal examination and treatment will resolve the problem.

Food poisoning

The blood in the stool can be a sign of food poisoning. I had no idea that is how food poisoning shows up in dogs/cats until mine got it. Eating grass is a good thing for them to do as it settles their bellies. Just make sure the grass hasn't been treated by chemicals.
    You may give the dog some Pepto Bismal if you think the dog just ate something that didn't agree. Maybe ate some bad table scraps.
    However, the dog may be allergic to milk, eggs, yeast, or other ingrediants in it's food. That will require a vet's visit and a watchful eye on it's diet. Be careful the dog didn't eat chocolate or a strange plant. This will take immediate trip to the vet.
    To induce vomiting give the dog a teaspoonful of Hydrogen peroxide. May give more to a bigger dog but NOT too much. The dog will vomit within about 10 minutes. My Scooby ate chocolate chip cookies while I was talking to a neighbor. He didn't like "tossing his cookies" but I felt better.
    Good luck!
    Scooby, Shaggy the "Dogs", Ms. Thang the "Cat" and introducing Measley Weasle "The Ferret".

Re: Food poisoning

Originally posted by Scooby4
    Eating grass is a good thing for them to do as it settles their bellies.
    Grass actually induces vomiting. I don't think it's a good thing as the grass-vomit often ends up in the nasal passages and causes infection.
    I've been BOO'd!

No results yet

Thank you everybody for the advice.

The earliest appointment he could be seen with was today so we just got back from our exciting trip to the vet's office.

I brought the sample stool in for analysis, but they have to send it to another lab and I won't hear those results until Tuesday at the earliest. He also was given a rectal exam and the doctor didn't find anything with that either. Plus, she drew a blood sample and ran that and didn't find anything unusual (ie, no high white blood cell counts). So, it's unknown what caused it right now. In thinking back, I have been feeding him turkey slices, but I've been eating them, too. And, he's often had turkey and/or chicken before.

He's shown no signs of problems. He's had good appetite, is in good spirits, shows no signs of pain or discomfort, isn't vomiting or anything. And, he did great at the vet's office! I watched as she drew blood from him and he showed himself to be a brave boy and a completely cooperative patient in there.

The doctor prescribed some bitter-tasting pills to treat colitis so I'll be administering those for the next week.

If I know anything more, I'll post with a follow-up.

Thanks.

I'm glad to hear you took her in! Is her stool still bloody or runny? You can try feeding her a diet of boiled chicken, rice, pure pumpkin, and a bit of cottage cheese to help the diahrea.
    I've been BOO'd!

I hope you pup gets better soon.

No such thing as a

bitter pill when it's coated with peanut butter.