View Poll Results: Does your cat know how to open a door?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 73.91%
  • Nope

3 13.04%
  • Only cat doors

3 13.04%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does your cat know how to open a door?

Former User Guest

Does your cat know how to open a door?

Casper has figured out how to open a door (esp. bathroom door) but has yet to try it out. Luckily bathroom door is the only one he can open, others are too heavy, like the outside door.

Does your cat know how to open a door? If so, is it a problem for you and you have to keep your doors locked?

Yes!

Mocha opens cupboard doors. Kitchen and bathroom ones. She likes to hide in them. We have designated cupboards for her. They aren't a problem, but she ALSO opens drawers and we have had to tape/tie/lock some of them.... She got stuck in our dresser once!!!

OH YES - AND HOW!!!
    When I'm in the bathroom - at least one of three will push open the door and join me!!!

Ketchum even sits on my knee

But when I'm sat in the lounge they suddenly forget how to push a door and have me up and down like a yo-yo - opening the door!!! I reckon their trying to keep me fit!

When Fister first came up, he just could not figure out the doors, but now he can certainly open them - and not only doors!! If he thinks we're out for too long (more than 4 hours) we can be pretty sure that he has opened every single cupboard door in the flat, he especially likes to lay on our shoes in one cupbopard.

The funny thing is though, that he can only open doors by pulling them - he hasn't figured out yet that they can also be pushed open!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Yum Yum and Dutchess can open doors but when they get in they don't know how to get out!

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    They know how to use the catdoor after dad spend a weekend teaching them by example (the example was the dog) who was still a puppy that fitted through the opening.

For other doors they think they need their personal door opener: me. If you scream long enough, mom will eventually get up and open the door next to the cat door. It's always very funny to see Rudie with his mouth in 'yell' position because he starts silently and increases the decibel.

The livingroom door is always for so much that a cat fits through. If a door upstairs is closed, the cats start ripping away the carpet (not funny anymore!)

I have probably told this story before but....not long after Edwina joined us I took a couple months off between jobs. I spent lots of time with Edwina...sitting outside, reading books (she's quite the reader!)
    My step-son was living with us at the time. The first day I went back to work I returned home and I COULD NOT FIND EDWINA. I searched the house -- all of her secret hiding place -- every where. She was not to be found. I repeatedly asked the step-son, "Are you SURE she didn't get out???" We circled the complex looking for her outside.
    Desparate and frustrated I finally opened a seldom used closet in the basement. There she was in the closet behind a safe with a look of pitiful abandonment.
    Not only had she opened the bi-fold door -- she had closed it behind her!
    It took her about a week before she would look at me or acknowledge my presence -- other than to accept her food of course.
    Once I had apologize enough (both to her and the step son for my accusations!) life returned to normal.

Since they almost always have a doorman handy they hardly bother .

Except for the living room, where they are only allowed when one of us is in there, they have the run of the house and the doors are always slightly ajar so that they can fully open them so we never really tested their skills. We were thinking of getting a cat door so that they could have easy access to the balcony but probably they would wait for us to open that one as well. With half of her front leg missing Prema would have problems anyway.

When she wants a door opened for her (she loves to go on the balcony for a quick tour even if it's freezing cold outside) she just sits in front of it and gently meows. She hates it though when I lock myself in a room though, I was taking a shower once and she head butted the door until she managed to snap the lock!

I knew someone that put a cat flap in the door, his cat would just rattle it and pretended that someone opened the main door for him!

Re: Does your cat know how to open a door?

Misty love our linen closet. She opens it and lays on towels. She likes opening up my kitchen cupboards too. I hope this works. http://community.webshots.com/storag...VqzWqn_ph.jpeg
    Misty's Mom

Heavy doors, "no". And Mimi doesn't open anything. She doesn't need to because we wait on her hand and foot! Butter though, has figured out that the catch on the glass storm door on the front door is an easy one. He bangs against it over and over until it opens just enough for him to slide outside when I have the main door open. I usually hear him fast enough to come running and open it for him. I would hate for that striped tail to get caught in the slamming door! Butter's other habit is to "find" me in whatever room I'm in (usually my bedroom) and bang on the window screen to come inside. His favorite one is the bathroom window where the screen is loose. Then I just pop the window open and he comes in that way!

My Spencer is the cabinet door opener in my house. He opens the one under the sink in the kitchen really easy, but has a hard time with the one in the downstairs bathroom. This one he opens, but it slams as soon as he lets go which tunes me in on what he's doing so I can yell STOP. Then he'll walk away from it until the next time

Sable could open the bedroom doors. He loathed being shut out.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

The broom closet in the kitchen-not only do the cats know how to open it, but the turtle does, too! Yertle loves to sleep in there; I call it his room. The door doesn't lock or anything, so Yertle and the cats know how to push the door aside and get in.

Many thanks to Kay for the fabulous sig!

Thelma,
    I'm getting off of the cat topic for a second. I'm dying to know more about Yertle. I have been fascinated with him since you first introduced him to us. Does he have free run of the house? Or do you just let him out at certain times? He sounds like quite the comedian!! I would love to meet him!
    Logan

LOL, Logan! Yes, he's quite the character. When my friends come over, they're always like, "Where's Yertle? Find him for me, I want to see him!" He's got a little fan club going, LOL!

He has free run of the house. He has a little "swimming pool" in the corner of the kitchen. It has a little ramp, so he can climb in and out as he pleases. He's a funny little guy, and people are always amazed that he will follow me when I get up and walk towards the kitchen (kitchen=fresh tomatoes!).

Yertle is about 4 1/2" across and about 6 1/2" long. (I'm estimating, because I have never measured him, but I'm looking at my ruler and that's about right.) He is an Eastern Box Turtle, and his shell is domed, not flat. He has beautiful bright orange eyes and yellow markings on his front legs (which means he's a boy).

He and the cats live together peacefully. He doesn't seem to be afraid of them at all, and they just seem curious about him. They may sniff him, but that's about it.

I have a framed picture of him that I have been meaning to bring to work so I can scan it and post it here. Hopefully, I'll remember to do this soon.

Thanks for asking!

Many thanks to Kay for the fabulous sig!