41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Have Dixie Spayed?

41 100.00%
  • Let Dixie have another litter?

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conflicting decision

Conflicting decision

I scheduled a vet appointment to have my Dixie spayed on February 12th. Now I am sad and wondering if I'm doing the right thing. This makes no more puppies final.

As most of you know I had bred Dixie to a Champion Golden and we had 10 puppies about 9 months ago. One of the pups is my Dusty. I spent close to a year looking for the right Daddy and I enjoyed the experience with all my heart. We spared no expense in making sure we "DID IT RIGHT"! In other words, we did not do it for the money. Actually we lost a little because I even took 4 weeks of "FAMILY LEAVE" to be with the pups when they were 4 weeks old until they went to their new families.

My decision to have her spayed is two parts.
    1. I can not have an Intact male and female in the same house.
    2. Having a litter took a lot out of Dixie as it does any dog. Since I know I am not planning on keeping another pup I did not want to put her through this again since I still continue to show her in obedience, agility, and field and would have to take more time off with her if she did have another litter.

I know I am rambling but making the appointment sort of made it final. It makes me realize that I won't be raising any more puppies in the near future. I would like to Stud Dusty out after he becomes a Champion if possible but I'm just not sure I'm doing the right thing here. I know I can't get Dusty fixed because I won't be able to show him in conformation then. Only intact males can be show for breed in an AKC sanctioned show.

Thanks for letting me ramble! I just love puppy breath and puppy kisses and puppy everything!

Re: Conflicting decision

Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer
    Having a litter took a lot out of Dixie
    This was my reason for voting to spay.

When/if Dusty's pups arrive, maybe you could ask for paternal visiting rights. Puppies are wonderful & cute but remember to consider the health of the mother! (Which, I know you are doing thus, the reason for the poll!)

I'm sure your decision will be carefully thought thru and it will end up being the right one!

Good luck with the decision!
    {hugs}

Gosh Dixie - this is a hard thing to do, but I think you'll be doing the right thing by having her spayed in the long run. My female Chihuahua will be getting spayed in a couple months and I even have mixed emotions about that - but I definately don't want her to have puppies, I just don't like the idea of having her tummy cut.
    Maybe you can take a trip to the shelter once in a while, hold and smell the puppies to get your puppy breath fix

I think that you made the right decision to spay her. Although, the puppies have titled parents, I think there are enough puppies in the world already that need homes. That's just my opinion.
    Becky Weise & the German Shepherd
    Iris Von Der Felzen Haus CD, CGC, 2 legs of NA
    Iris' Den

Candice,

I don't know what to vote on! I usually NEVER agree with people breeding dogs or cats because of overpopulation...UNLESS the breeder does everything out of love, as opposed to profit, and they have perfect specimens to breed with and you have done EVERYTHING right! I think it does the breed good to have such quality pups added to the gene pool so that is tough. Also, I would LOVE to buy one of your puppies one day I want a golden real bad, but I would only buy a golden from a reputable breeder, and from champion and/or titled parents. Ever since I 'met' you through this site and found out how much time and effort you put into those lovely dogs, and learned about all of Dixie's titles and young Dusty already having his CGC, I wanted a pup from you.

You have done everything right in the breeding of Dixie. You have done the golden breed proud.

However, because of what happened to your friends' golden I feel that it may not be worth the risk. It breaks my heart to think of how incredibly devastating that was and that dogs poor owner may regret breeding that dog for the rest of their lives. I would not want anyone who I cared about (you or anyone else) to ever experience such a horrible tragedy.

I would like you to breed Dixie again, simply because I would be really interested in a pup if you would sell one to me. And I am also so thrilled to see the responsibility that went into the whole breeding experience, and I enjoy knowing that you are helping to better the breed by breeding such fine, beautiful, intelligent, devoted pups that are perfect representatives of the GR breed.

I, however, know how much Dixie means to you. I love her and she's not even my dog She is your dog of a lifetime and I know that her health and well-being can not be bargained with.

I would say that the pros and cons are almost equal, but because Dixie aged a little bit with her first litter, I would have to lean towards getting her spayed. That Dixie is an important girl and, even though she's such a good momma, and her pups are fine representatives of the golden breed, I think her health and longevity outweigh everything else. She's too important a girl to have anything like puppies shorten her time on earth in your loving arms.

Maybe when I am ready to get a golden (when we move into a house hopefully this summer, I have decided to get another dog and it's a toss up between a well bred GSD and a well bred GR) you can help me find a wonderful breeder? A breeder who puts the same amount of love and care into their puppies as you did with Dixie's litter?

I think you are a wonderful person and I completely respect you. Getting Dixie spayed is such a caring thing to do.

I voted to have her spayed. We can't have that Dixie aging before her time.

If I were as dedicated a mom as you are, Dixie, and I had decided to breed my female, I think I'd have as much of a struggle as you're having right now.

Honey and Lilly never even knew their first heat, having been spayed at 5 months old.

But dedicated breeders are important, to keep the quality of the breed alive. And you have made a significant contribution towards that effort.

I voted "yes" to spay, but did so knowing what a final thing this is. Dixie's done her part, and you certainly saw the "fruits of your labor" at the birthday party!! We all did, and loved the pictures.

I totally agree with the above!!! In fact, it brought tears to my eyes!!! We need Dixie to be healthy and happy for as long as possible...

Oh Candice...You're such a kind, caring and thoughtful person. I can understand how torn you are. Your beautiful Dixie sure is a great mom and has shown us all how capable she is of passing along all of her inner and outer beauty. And you bred her for the best of reasons under the most perfect of circumstances. Dixie's legacy lives on in those gorgeous baby goldens!! You have beautiful furbabies yourself, and your life is so full of fun doggie related activities. You will always be productively busy, in a doggie sort of way, I'm sure!! I think Dixie did a wonderful job as a mom and like Logan says, has done her part! I'm sure that all the puppies to be in the Dixie line will welcome a visit from their Aunty Candice!! I do vote for spay, but am totally understanding of your feelings, and I'm sure you will make the right decision for your beloved Dixie.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Re: Conflicting decision

Only you can make this decision.
    I think in your heart you have already
    made it, by mentioning: "having a litter took a lot out of Dixie."
    You can still show Dusty etc.
    I think spaying her is the most selfless act you can
    make, and I respect you for thinking about Dixie first.

----<---<--<{(@

Oh Dixie, what a heartbreaking decision to be made. I know how much you love Dixie and Dusty. I'm trying to find the words that I want to say and it's very hard to do. I feel that you have gone through motherhood with Dixie, she did well, she had wonderful pups and you got to have all that puppy breath during that time.
    Dixie did her job wonderfully, but it did take a lot out of her. I want to say yes, yes have more pups, wouldn't that be great, but I can't. Dixie is your love, your dog of all time. Our time with our pups is so short, why not enjoy her, have fun with her and just tell her how much you love her, and don't forget she gave you Dusty. I have to agree with the others that it is her time to be spayed and be left to enjoy her life. I wish there were more people out there like you who put their pup before their own wishes.
    Jackie

As wonderful and precious as new pups are, I vote to spay. There are so many wonderful and precious dogs and pups in shelters that will be killed if they don't find a home. I promote adoption.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT!

The overwhelming majority of you vote to spay. I guess in my heart I had already made that choice too or I wouldn't of made the vet appointment. She is scheduled to go in on Feb 12th.

Some of you brought tears to my eyes with your thoughts. Especially Leslie when she said she would want one of Dixie's pups if I did have another litter. What a high compliment since I know how much Graham is loved. Leslie, when you do want another pup and if it's a Golden let me know because I know many people who breed reputably for the betterment of the breed.

Several of you said Dixie has done her part and you are all right! She has and I don't want to see her age faster than normal. Our time with our beloved pets is so short as it is. Thanks for all the input and making me feel more comfortable with the decision to have her spayed. You guys are great cyber friends and I cherish each of you and your ability to tell it like it should be!

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    There's nothing that I could add to anything that is said here. I vote for spay, because you said that it took a lot out of Dixie.

I wished every respectable breeder would be so sweet and kind as you are, and not breed because of the money. Cookie's mom was spayed after her first litter, for the same reasons as you listed.

I know it's a hard decision to take but I believe that you have opted for what is the best for Dixie. We will be all thinking of you and her on February 12.

I would defenitely spay her. I wouldn't get another litter 'cause if you can't get rid of the puppies after they have been separated from their mother then you would have to cope to feed more mouths than you already feed. Also what would happen if you get an unwanted pregnancy? i mean she gets pregnant with another male instead the one you want her to reproduce with. You would enjoy Dixie to the best. You wouldn't have to lock her up and clean blood stains all over the house. Also you would be free of dogs waiting at your front door trying to matewith her.
    Many unwanted puppies have been left in shelters 'cause of unwanted pregnancies.
    Puppies are a bundle of joy, dogs, are life's happiness.