Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me please

Help me please

My question is this....
    Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get my dobies to gain some weight. I just got them from someone that was very neglectful of them. They are healthy other than being under weight by about 20 pounds each.

There could be alot of things you can do.... One question is have they been dewormed? Or what food are they on?
    I own a Dobe now..Have to see pictures of these 2 .

They have been dewormed. They are on a 22% protein dog food.
    i am attaching a pic of one. and nove not seen a pic of your two.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

When we got Kaedyn, he was severely underweight. I put him on the puppy formula of Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul and he gained weight in no time.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

If they are underweight then

there is no reason why you couldn't put them on a puppy formula of dog food which by definition is usually extremely high in protein and fat. Allow them free choice. Don't know that much about Dobies and their eating tendencies. Free choice may or may not be a way to go for life.

Beautiful dogs. They hold a special spot in my heart. Now I have mine on a maintenance formula with 22 or 23 % protein. You could find a formula for active dogs that might have 26 or 27 %.or even a puppy formula for a quick fix..I have seen some puppy food with or 30%.Now it was hard to tell by the pics but they should be sleek and lean.Are they really underweight?
    Here is Nitro... I only have 1 Dobe.

that pic was taken by the previous owner before they got underweight. I have attached a recent black and white photo of my demon boy.i do not know how much you can tell by it. their hip bones stick out sadly...they have almost no muscle it would seem on the behind and you can see let alone feel every single bone in their bodies. i know they should be lean but they should not weight about 50 pounds either.

forgot to attach the pic last time

here is a pic i just took of diablo. my poor sad little boy. he is the love of our hearts.

I personally would not put him on a puppy food. I'm not a fan of puppy food for puppies, so I would suggest feeding him 1/4-1/2 cup more food every day. If he doesn't gain weight that way, you can add Satin Balls into his meal.
    http://www.njboxers.com/satin-balls-recipe.htm
    If you're worried about raw meat, you can lightly cook them to enhance their aroma and flavor.

Awww poor Diablo... He certainly needs some meat on him. And I wouldn't just keep feeding him more because you could be opening a whole other can of worms. How long have you had them? With a regular feeding schedule, they should come around.Maybe throw in some extra TLC. I can't wait to see them fit and trim.

Another hint my vet told us.......use Parmagain cheese (sprinkle kind) on their regular food. Most all dogs love cheese and my girls gobble up their meals with this stuff on it. We have two picky danes that will only eat with cheese on their food Also, I have a dobie....she is eating the puppy food that the danes are on because it would be practically impossible to convince her to eat her own food. No harm done for her We do have to monitor her activity level and weight though, because she will get too big on the puppy food.
    ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <><

<>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><> <>< ><>

Faith is being able to jump first and grow wings later

When a waterbug leaves his friends and climbs the stalks, he is unable to return. But he gains a beautiful new body and a glorious perspective on a new world. He knows his friends will join him with their new bodies one day...one glorious day

thank you thank you thank you

I can not thank you all enough for your wonderful advice. We have only had them about a month now. And they have gained weight but only about 3 pounds. Is this a proper weight gain? I have never had an underweight dog in my life. I trully want to see them at their full potential. I do not want to get them too big too soon though. Demon seems to be bouncing back emotionally faster than Diablo. Diablo seems very depressed a sullen. Demon refuses to come indoors at all. Diablo has willingly come in and now lays in our bed with us at night down at our feet. The two of them do not get along well at all. They always wish to fight. So I suppose seperating the two of them is best. What do any of you think about them being outdoors all the time? I have heard various aspects on this and would trully like to know whether being outdoors all the time is good for them or not. I would bring in during extreme weathers of any type no matter what. I wouldnt want to be out in the cold or the rain or the extreme heat. I would rather have them both indoors but Demon refuses. Have had to carry him in when the rain was terrible 2 weeks ago. Am working on getting a nice big shed built for him to be out of the weather in. Dog houses just seem to small to me. hee Anywho.....I trully appreciate everyones help in this matter. I am glad that I found this place. I have met a great bunch of people!!!

Hello.. I too own a dobie girl,, your kids are gorgeous and will be even more so once they get some weight....

I suggest a good looking over by your vet and get some suggestions from them too..... Welcome to PT and I am so glad you rescued these two lovelies!! Heres my girl!

Keep us all posted on their progress. I don't think you would want them gaining the weight back too fast. You can always give them some special little extras!