Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed please.......re-kitten....

Advice needed please.......re-kitten....(pics now included)

Not many of you will know as my thread was not answered by many, that we found a stray kitten two days ago, we are taking care of him, he is around 4 mths old , a beautiful tabby boy all fixed and in nice condition, he is a real love bug, a lap cat and very easy going and laid back wee chap.

I have advertised him as found, so far no response, and have an option to take him to the cat shelter on Sunday, there may even be a friend of my daughter's friend who might be allowed to adopt him, but that is not certain.

My problem is both Melissa and I have fallen head over heels with this young man, I cryed myself to sleep last night , just thinking about taking him to the shelter.

I have always told you I cannot really afford another kitty,(and that is true) as much as I would love to have one,however my daughter has put this option to me which I am seriously considering if hubby agrees, (we will really have to work on him) that it becomes her responsibility, she has a paper round which earns her twenty dollars a week and she will take care of his needs, he will also be mainly an indoor kitty, as he is quite happy being so, well so far anyhow.

I have given her no answer yet, and I am dying to say YES, Melissa is nearly 13 and she is a very responsible girl for her age, she volunteers at the local cat shelter, and has had her job for over a year now, she wants to prove to us she will and can look after him.

I am in two minds, I feel sick at the thought of letting him go, but part of me is torn,would it be right to let her have him, what do you all think, your honesty would be appreciated, in the long run it will be mine and hubby's decision, but I would like your input please, Thanks in advance.

I am also a little concerned how Ash and Lexie would take to him being here, Ash seems fine, but Lexie would be right put out I think, I would hate her to take off because she felt unhappy with a new arrival.
    Last edited by carole; 04-30-2005 at 05:54 AM.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Oh gosh, I would have a hard time letting him go too.

Just my opinion but I think your daughter sounds very responsible and is at a good age to take this on. As for Lexie, I think the key would be to introduce them slowly - if you haven't already - and to keep reassuring both Lexie and Ash of their positions as top kitties. Be sure to give them lots of extra attention.

Please let us know how it goes.

From Decker with Love

I think your daughter sounds really responsible and can do it!! Give her a chance! one question though what if she does at the start and then slacks off will you get rid of him or will you have to take him on?? Something to think about before you make you decision. Good luck either way. I hope your husband gives her the chance... And did you post pictures???? I'm gonna go check.

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month

Carole, I'm sorry I missed the first thread - was away for a day and half, and VERY busy leading up to that.

From what you've said of your daughter, she is an amazing young woman and will live up to her promise to take care of the little guy. Put the money into a special account just for him, and only pull it when he needs somethign. It'll be exciting to see how fast it accumulates. then when she heads off to college, she can go there either with him, or leave him home, with enough money in the account to care for him while she is gone.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Hey, Carole! I say YES! It sounds like you have a lot of trust in your daughter, and, that's where it starts. And, in the odd chance that she does slack off, you can always just make the arrangement ahead of time that she will have to forfeit the money she makes to at least pay for the cat's needs, even if she isn't the one physically cleaning the litter or feeding the cat. Does that make sense? I can't wait to see photos! I'll have to make sure you didn't post any in the other thread. I hope you decide to keep the cat, have you all thought of a name?
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Carole,

Keep him. He's only 4 months old and I think that in time Lexie will come around. Is Lexie an outdoor cat??? I don't think she'll take off from her food source just because of the little guy.

Your daughter sounds like every parent's dream (Just like my daughter Amy) . How about typing up a contract setting down everything you guys agreed upon with respect to the kitten. This way, just in case, although I'm sure there won't be any problems, you'll have something to refer to. This also might help in convincing Dad that it's going to work out.

He sounds like a keeper to me, Carole. Go with your gut instincts.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Carole,

I just read your other thread..and I'm happy to see this one now. I say "yes" as well. You've always spoke highly of your daughter and it seems like you all will find a way to afford the food and care of Jasper.

How exciting!!!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Your daughter sounds like a very good kid and that she might be ready for this challenge.

Have you decided yet?

Carole, Melissa, from what you have told me about her, seems to be a very level- headed young lady, and I believe that she will make every effort to raise this kitten as he should be. I agree with everyone else, say YES to Melissa!

In my heart I had already decided, but Dad did not think it was a good idea, but I do know that Melissa would have lived up to her end of the bargain, no doubt in my mind, it was the problem if he ever needed special care, or surgery, we would have to take that on, and we just don't have that kind of money and Ash and Lexie have to come first.

But I do have an update, that is exciting, I got a phone call about 20 mins ago from a lady who believes he could be her's,it is really her little boys kitty and he is heartbroken, so she is coming over in about 20 mins to see, she wants to take him anyway.

This is really the best possible outcome for us all, even though Melissa will shed many tears and me too.

He sounds so like the kitty they lost, apparently they shifted house and he was at her brother's home temporarily until they had shifted properly, and guess what the brother's home is not far from me, so it sounds like it is him, also he would not have gone back there probably , but journeyed on further to his originial home, which is quite a way away, and who knows what would have happened to him.

His name is Bobo, and he does seem to respond to that, better than any other name, we actually changed his name so many times, it was whiskey, then Jasper, then Cody and then Bubba, which he seemed to respond better too, similar to Bobo.

So fingers and paws crossed, she told me they had spent a lot of money on him, getting him fixed, and we really look after our cats, vaccinations etc, he has another older cat for company , which he gets along with too.

If this is not their kitten , I will be very suprised, nevertheless he has a new home with them.

I am still going to post pics, we took heaps this morning, but my Dad forget the USB cable, so we will have to wait, so be patient, will post soon ok.

Thanks for all your replys, they re-inforced what I already knew, and what my gut feelings were, still a happy ending, no doubt another kitten will see the invisible but visible to cat sign CATS DROP IN CENTRE, lol, and we will have another one to foster sooner or later, or a keeper one of these days.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    That's awesome that Bobo has a home, whether it has always been with this family or not. It does sound like you are doing the right thing, although it would have been nice for Pet Talk to have a new orangie! And, I am sure it would have been wonderful for your family, but, again, it does sound like this is the best thing for everyone involved. Can't wait to see photos!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

well the lady came, she did not seem to know for sure if it was Bobo, I think it was not, but she wanted to take him, I let him go, but now I don't know if I have done the right thing, it all happened too fast, I felt pressured because of needing to find him a good home, and now I am heartbroken, I just don't know if I have made the best choice for him.

I cannot tell you why, perhaps it was because I wanted him so much, he is going to a home with lots of other animals, another cat, older who probably won't be bothered by him,and four children, he just seemed so scared, and I am worried the children will be too much for him, I just feel bad, I did get her phone number and asked if I could ring to see how he is getting on, she was fine with that, and promised she would do all the right things, like vaccinations etc, but people can tell you anything if they want to.

I have no reason to doubt her, I just cannot explain how I feel,I have told her if it does not work out to let me know and return him to me.

I felt like such a mean person giving him to them, he was so happy and content and loved here, he was so scared of them all, I know that is to be expected, but it hurt to see him, as I loved him so.

Melissa is handling it very well, kids are so resilient, me I am a basketcase, I know why I can never foster, I am just too emotionally weak to handle it all.

BTW Finn's mom he was a tabby, but not an orangie, should have some pics up and running soon.

Life sucks so much at times. He had the best home and it was here.

Right now I just hate myself.

I can't help but feel resentful towards my husband, as I would have said yes, it only took him to agree, and he just thought it not a good idea, I guess he was right and being practical, but still I feel upset at him.
    Furangels only lent.

13. A stray showed here right on Halloween day last year. i manged to talk my parents into keeping her..(and trust me that was no easy task)

look at this way.. if you hadnt taken him,, he may have gotten hit by a car,, or attaked by some dog or something and be dead... i think you did not only one good deed by opening up your heart to him.. but possibly saving his life as well.

*hugs*
    hang in there.

I know what you are saying makes sense, but I still feel I let him down some, I guess time will ease the sadness, anyway here is the beautiful wee chappie that captured my heart and broke it all in a few days, now you can see how sweet he is, lots of pics, sorry they are in attachments, but ENJOY.
    Furangels only lent.

GOSH if anyone can re-size these pics for me, would be greatly appreciated, they are huge, BTW I rang two hours later to find out how he is doing, she said he was good and was on her daughter's bed asleep, he had peed in the cage on the way home and he was none too happy about it,(the kitty) she cleaned him up and he has been fed and hopefully he is happy. fingers crossed.
    Furangels only lent.