Thread: Being Avoided

Question Being Avoided

We just got a 6 month old male cocker spaniel. It really seems to be a good dog. It listens to my wife and is good with my children. It just will not come close to me at all. I have even tried to give it pieces of hotdog. It will only come close enough to me to get the hot dog, but it will not warm up to me. I

I am really looking for help here.

Time and patience!

What's the pup's history? Is she a rescue? If she's been abused by a man, it will take her awhile to trust you.

We've had several really timid dogs here who wouldn't go near my husband. We try to make it so that he gives the dog only good things--treats, toys, praise. He never disciplines or even raises his voice. He gets to be the good guy!

Taking a puppy class might help too. It's a good way to bond and your pup might gain some confidence from being around other puppies.

Good luck!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Glacier's advice sounds right on the mark! Where did the pup come from? Was she with another family first? It certainly sounds like he is afraid of males..do you have a beard by the way...? I know it sounds strange but I have heard stories/myths? of dogs not liking men with beards because they are afraid of them. (The beard makes the crucial "face reading" features more blurred and they are not sure of your intentions) It's probably just a myth but...you never know!

Enjoy your new puppy and good luck!!

I think advice that has been given is really great! You might also try feeding the dog his breakfast and dinner that way the dog will look forward to seeing you. Good luck.