Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best breed for me? PLZ READ!

Whats the best breed for me? PLZ READ!

I want a small but not to small dog, that likes to ride in a car and does not mind staying in the house. Thats smart soft and cuddley. I really need some opanions on what breed or mixed breed i sould choose. Thanks for all the help.

2. Its really what the dog's temperment and personality is like for you. You go to the humane society or shelter, and you'll see a dog, you'll know if its the one!

I have a Jack Russell, but you have to train them. Shes smart, stays home 7 hours a day sometimes and loves car rides. Those are things you train the dog to do though.

What is your reason or purpose for getting a dog?

What do you plan to do with it?

What is your lifetsyle like?

How much exercise are you willing to give to the dog?

Are you dedicated for grooming care for a long-haired dog?

How many hours will the dog be home alone?

Would you be willing to take it to lessons?

Do you have the money for vet care, supplies, crate, brushes, hair care, toys, leashes, collars, tie-outs, etc?

There are many things to consider before getting a dog.

What is your reason or purpose for getting a dog? I need a friend and Im lonely.

What do you plan to do with it? umm everything

What is your lifetsyle like? I stay home and do computer repair and much more at home but do go out to the stores alot.

How much exercise are you willing to give to the dog? as much as he or she needs

Are you dedicated for grooming care for a long-haired dog? Yes I would groom a dog.

How many hours will the dog be home alone? NONE! Always with me.

Would you be willing to take it to lessons? I will teach him or her myself

Do you have the money for vet care, supplies, crate, brushes, hair care, toys, leashes, collars, tie-outs, etc? I have many dog supplies and can get more if needed.

How much would a Jack Russel Be? There sooo cute.

You should go to your local shelter and see if there are any smaller dogs that need a home. You aren't really narrowing down the options, so it's hard to say which breed is best...However, if you aren't going to go to obedience classes, I wouldn't reccomend a terrier -- they can be stubborn, and they need lots of socialization..Go to www.dogbreedinfo.com to see a huge list of breeds.

Here are some more questions that might help narrow down your search...

-Do you mind a breed known for digging and/or barking?
    -Do you want to dog to get along well with other dogs, cats, or small animals?
    -Do you want an obedient dog that will always follow your commands?
    -Do you want a breed that will do well in dog sports (agility, flyball, etc)?
    -Do you want a watchdog?
    -Is the dog going to be spending most of it's time indoors or outdoors?
    -Would you mind having a breed known for health problems?
    -Would you pay for professional grooming?

How much would a Jack Russel Be? There sooo cute.
    It depends on where you get one. They are pretty common in alot of animal shelters because people think they are so cute (result of alot of movies), when they are really very energetic, needing tons of exersise and socialization. They also have the tendency to dig, bark, and kill small animals. And they are very smart so they need alot of mental stimulation. Animal shelters are usually the cheapest places to go -- a reputable breeder would be ALOT more expensive. Around $400-1000. Please make sure, that if you want to go to a breeder, it's a good breeder. Do you know what a good breeder is?
    I've been BOO'd!

I went to that web site and did a test thing and it said the best breed for me is a Beagle, what do yall think?

6. Its totally up to you! Research the breed, find out all about it, find a breeder and ask them if you can play with a couple of their beagles to see if you like them or not. I still say go check out a shelter as those tests are not always approximate, its just a suggestion. LOL! Hope we helped!

you dont know how much you guys helped i will keep you updated on what breed i pick :P

just keep in mind, beagles tend to bay and if they get loose, they will wander.
    How about a Japanese chin?

they come in two colors!

from the akc standard:
    The Japanese Chin is a small, well balanced, lively, aristocratic toy dog with a distinctive Oriental expression. It is light and stylish in action
    Last edited by Suki Wingy; 04-28-2005 at 09:05 PM.

Niņo & Eliza

i will look into the japanese chin thanks

also whats a good thing to get parvo out of the yard?

It's virtually impossible to get parvo out of your yard because the only thing that removes the virus is clorox bleach, and you can't exactly bleach and scrub your entire yard. I would keep the dog out of the yard until it's 4 months and had all of it's shots. Parvo has been known to stay in one place for up to 7 years.
    I've been BOO'd!

Did you have a dog with parvo? Was it in the house at all? If so I would get a puppy that's old enough to have had all of its shots or rescue a dog that has all of its shots. No matter how well you think you got the parvo out, it is still a huge risk.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

i think you should get a shih-tzu, because they're soft and cuddly, make great family pets, and if you get a really good personality dog then they might sometimes watch tv with you. some of them enjoy that. LOL

Originally posted by Roxydog251
    i think you should get a shih-tzu, because they're soft and cuddly, make great family pets, and if you get a really good personality dog then they might sometimes watch tv with you. some of them enjoy that. LOL
    yeah also I had 2 and they need to be brushed everyday and a bath every week just about. Have you ever had a dog before?
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Yes i had a dog with parvo never know what parvo was until he got it I got him free from this lady off of http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WinstonSalemFreecycle/
    MY FIRST do that I ever OWNEd I had other dogs in the house but not mine. He stayed out side and he would follow me everywhere and play all and ride in the car with me all the time. I never left him alone. I miss my Lil Buddy so much. only friend I had. He died at 6 months old the IV bags did not work like the vet siad it would. I pour like 5 things full of bleach out in the yard and scruped the carpet places where he was. I just need a friend again Im sooo lonely without my Lil Buddy.