Thread: dry nose!

dry nose!

I know the whole wet nose dry nose myth about dogs, but my dog's nose really is dry! He's a 13 year old American Eskimo, who's sneezer is all dry, cracked, and flaking. Is the answer as simple as a little lotion on there, or is there something else I should know? any input appreciated!

I wish I knew what to tell you, but I simply don't. Seems like anything you tried to apply to it to soften it up would be licked off, immediately. You might try checking with you vet, by phone, to see if there is any reason for concern and what suggestions he/she might have on how to deal with it.

Good luck!
    Logan

I was wondering the same thing, my border collie Gibson, just had his check up last week, and the vet said he was healty, a bit well fed, but otherwise he is doing well, when at the vet I asked him about Gibsons dry chapped nose, he is sneezing, and looks like a small boy with a snotty nose. The vet told me it was nothing and if I was worried about his nose then I should just soak a hand towel in epsom salt and hold it on his nose. Eventually it would go away. I was a bit worried about that, as I figured the salts would dry out his nose more, so I have been putting polysporim on it. For the past few days it seems to be helping. I hope this helps, but when it comes to the health of your loved one, please call a vet.

That's actually a good idea roscoe. I have some epsom salt on hand, somehow I don't think Wolfy will put up with it well. been using some scentless lotions for sensative skin on his nose, it's helped some.

Does Wolfy drink enough water? Usually a wet nose is from the dogs licking it, drinking water, and panting. Try taking him on short walks and offering him fresh water often. sorry, I'm not very familiar with dry nosies. .

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

dry crusty noses

Causes can range from just natural aging, to endocrine/metabolic abnormalities. You may have to get a couple of blood panels, along with scraping/biopsy to be sent off to a dermatologist.

If everything comes back negative, try supplementing the diet with fish oil. Probably 2000-3000 mg 2X daily might help. There's also an outside chance that a bizzare allergy might be involved, in which case Benedryl might help. But have the tests run first.

Jillian usually has a dry nose ((makes for cleaner kissies! )) hers doesnt chap though I hope hes feeling better now?