Thread: Scared Cat....Need Some Advice

Scared Cat....Need Some Advice

Good Morning!

I know I am usually on the Dog Side and no, I don't have a cat, but I need some knowledgeable cat lovers' advice. How do you get a cat used to a new environment after a move to a new place?

Let me explain. My best friend is a guidance counselor for an elementary school. They have an advice column that the kids write to and my friend answers them under the guise of "Stanley The Peacock" the school mascot.

So this little girl writes in and says that her family and her moved to a new place and her cat is scared. It's a boy cat apparently and all he wants to do is hide and seems sad and afraid. I think they've only moved in the past month or something. My friend really wants to know so she can answer this kid back. Her first thought was take the cat to the vet or ask the vet, but really, the area where she teaches, I'd be suprised if anybody took their pets to the vet.

So, any ideas? If you could come up with some suggestions by tomorrow night (Monday, April 25th), it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

R.B. - Bailey (pit bull/lab mix) (08/?/2002 to 02/02/2005) and Guinness (chow/sheperd mix)

I would suggest the little girl asks her parents to keep the cat in one room with his food litter tray and toys, to allow him to get use to the new house very slowly.