Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BIG problem with Max, need major help

I agree with obedience training whole heartedly. I also practice Nothin In Life Is Free. All of my dogs have to sit and wait before going outside. NILIF is an invaluable tool and helps to keep the dogs in check during various situations.

I have no knowlege to add but very sorry you're having problems. I agree that he's probably just very bored. I also agree about the NILIF. That could make a big difference. I think the training courses are a must. Just don't give up. He'll get back to normal with training. It'll just take a little time, is all. Hug him for me. Glad they both got back ok.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

I have nothing useful to add, except to say that I am really sorry to hear that you are going through all of this right now. I hope you can find something that works for you soon.

Definitely, definitely enroll him in Obedience, buy good OB books, and start NILIF diligently. I'm so sorry about everything you're going through, but I *promise* that extra training/attention and obedience work will make it a lot better. He does sound like he's not connected to you, out of control, thinks he's the boss and he can run anywhere anytime. Don't let him off-leash AT ALL until he has a very solid recall, only walk him on a leash or a secure long line for exercise. Don't tolerate pushing people over to go out. Whenever anyone is opening a door, Max needs to be on-leash and corrected if he charges for the door. . get him a rolled leather collar (adjust so you can slip two fingers in, and have it at the top of the neck) and have him sit before the door is opened. If he lunges toward it, jerk the leash sharply and get him to sit again before he goes outside. It sounds like he's taking his freedom for granted and he's just going wild. . it will take work but it'll be so much easier for you after Obedience and tons of reinforcing/training. I hope everything gets better soon

Gonzo was also super-drivey and crazy for a while, when he was about 12 months old. If he was off-leash, he thought he was completely in control and could go anywhere he wanted. . . so, he was never off-leash in unfenced areas until his recall was perfect (1 year of Obedience later. .). Now, I still have to remind him to stay close but he'd never run off. We have been walking on trails before, with him off-leash, and a deer has run right by and with just a stern "Leave It" he has completely ignored the deer. OB is SO worth it. We were really lucky to find amazing classes and I even got to be an Assistant Trainer last summer ^_~

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Originally posted by stacwase
    Thanks, all. I will repost in dog behavior.

Regarding his behavior with children: if anybody (child or adult) falls down on the ground, Max gets right on top of them. He doesn't growl or bare his teeth - he just runs around and jumps on them, making it difficult for them to get up. I really don't know what he's doing when he does that, but he's done it from the beginning. It scares the beejeezus out of small kids.

I have no advice - just a question after reading this.

Is he Neutered?
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Yup - he's neutered.

I appreciate all of the help and advice. I think I'll go with NILIF and see if I can figure out a way to exercise him better (maybe utilizing the 4-wheelers?). There's a months-long waiting list for obedience training here. I need it sooner. Do you actually have to attend the classes, or is there away to do it alone at home?

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Contact this man. He is great! I would send him an email right away. Have you ever seen his show The Dog Whisperer on National Geographic Channel? He is amazing.
    http://www.nationalgeographic.com/channel/dogwhisperer/

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Thanks for the link, Val - I'll try it. I've never heard of him.

I just got back from taking Max for a run (with me on the 4-wheeler). He pooped out after 2 miles at 17-20 mph. That's unusual for him. He usually goes about 10 miles, but I've had him inactive for so long that he's probably getting out of shape. Anyway - when it looked like he was good and tired, I brought him inside and he flopped down on the floor for a nap. Then - somebody was going out the door and he bolted. He's gone again. He's staying within sight of the house but won't let anybody catch him.

I guess I should look on the bright side - he's not running deer.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Oh dear . Did you get Max back?
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Is Max home yet?
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June