Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I failed foster parenting..........

I failed foster parenting..........

and have moved on to the adoptive stage!

Shadow officially, legally adopted us today! I called the Humane Society to ask how old he has to be before he can be adopted, and was told "8 weeks". He is only 6 weeks old right now, so I said "Oh, so I still have to wait two more weeks then, right?" They said "We'll be able to place him in a good home after that, we've had LOTS of people wanting kittens lately." I think they actually thought I was tired of him or something, and was dissappointed that I couldn't bring him back there to be adopted for another two whole weeks!

I quickly set them straight, telling them that WE want to adopt him, if that would be OK. My heart was pounding, and almost in my throat, because I thought they weren't going to let me adopt him! But they said "Oh, YOU want to adopt him? Oh, that should work out great. You can go ahead and adopt him any time. You can come on out and fill out the papers today if you want to!"

So I went out there, and took Shadow with me so they could see him. He was a little spitfire! He hissed at the lady who tried to take him out of the carrier he was in. But once I took him out, and he started feeling a little more comfortable there, he started exploring, and playing, etc. They all commented on how cute he is, and how much he's grown in the two weeks that we've had him. I completed the required paperwork, and payed the $75.00 adoption fee, and brought him back home to stay!

The adoption fee goes towards his first physical exam at the
    Vet's, which he had this afternoon already, as well as the neutering when the time comes. He weighed 26 ounces when the Vet. weighed him. He is healthy, and the Vet. said his approximate age is 6 weeks, exactly what we were thinking already. They are testing him for worms again, just to be on the safe side, but the test the Humane Society did on the 9th was negative. We should know the results tomorrow.

Shadow is down to only two bottles of formula a day now, and the rest of his food is canned Science Diet kitten food, and fresh water. He plays and plays and plays and plays! He attacks anything that moves, including ANGEL when she's in the same room with him! She must think he's about the peskiest little brother that ever lived! Yesterday he was chasing her around a recliner in the living room. She went all the way around so that she was behind him, but he didn't know it and he was still acting like he was following her! It was so funny.

He attacked her once by batting her mouth with his paw, and she reached out and knocked him on the head several times to tell him to quit it. Neither of them got hurt, and she has taken a lot more interest in him. I think she even likes playing with him sometimes, even though she wouldn't want to admit it.

I've taken some more pictures with my 35 mm camera, and will take some more over the next few days until the film is all used up, so I can get the pictures developed and post some more on here again. He is such a little sweetheart.....there's absolutely no way we could give him up now. Yesterday evening my husband was playing with Shadow, and I asked him if he could give him back to the Humane Society to let someone else adopt him, and he shook his head no and kept right on playing!

So now I have to figure out how to make my signature "SOAPets" have a shadow to it, to include him!
    Rest in Peace, dear Oreo: April 20, 1997-July 18, 2011
    :Rest in Peace, beautiful Sandi: March 18, 1994-January 23, 2010

::
    Rest in Peace, sweet Angel: July 1, 2001-May 14, 2009

Deb

Congrats on failing Fostering 101. Its the only class in thew world where it feels great to fail!

So, when will you be taking Fostering 102?

That is very, very cool, congratulations to both of you! Look forward to those pics...

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    Isn't failure grand sometimes?
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Awwwwwwwwww Congrats Never been in fostering ever but will when I get my own place hehe
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Congrats!!!!

From Decker with Love

LOL!!! I have certainly "been there and done that"!!!! Nothing to be ashamed of!!!!! Congratulations!!!!

told ya so!!!

DIDN'T I SAY YOU MIGHT AS WELL ADD ANOTHER S?

CONGRATULATIONS MOM OF SHADOW!!

I'LL BE ANXIOUSLY AWAITING PHOTOS

P.S. DON'T WORRY, I FLAT FLUNKED OUT....
    KITTY FRIEND
    TAKE CARE, GOD BLESS
    MULTICATMOM

So it is OFFICIAL, Shadow is YOUR baby and you are his MOM!! I just didn't think you could give him up after fostering such the baby doll that he is.. Your pictures reeked of "Proud Mama" and "Proud Catdad" ever since you got him. GREAT!! Now we can watch him grow up and hear all bout him discovering the world around him!

CONGRATULATION MOM!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

{{{HUGS}}} and Congratulations all around!!!

I'm so glad you failed and we get to watch that adorable baby grow up on PT!!! Tell the new Pappa congratulations too!

A big hearty CONTRATULATIONS on your new baby mom & dad.

Can't wait to see pictures.

The way you describe Shadow and Angel playing was a hoot.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

hee hee.......I knew it! How could ANYONE give up that little guy??? Now we want more pictures.... Mom.

That's what makes it so tough to foster kittens.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Originally posted by smokey the elder
    That's what makes it so tough to foster kittens.
    And young cats, and medium aged cats, and old cats........

Originally posted by jenluckenbach
    And young cats, and medium aged cats, and old cats........
    I HEAR YA!!
    KITTY FRIEND
    TAKE CARE, GOD BLESS
    MULTICATMOM