Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apartment rules about pets

Apartment rules about pets

Collin and I have to move again as his work has transferred him to York PA. I have been trying to get a headstart on the apartment hunting online since finding a place that takes pets, especially large dogs, is usually difficult. I was actually quite pleasantly surpised to find that most of the complexes do take pets! But I received this from one of the agents and I thought it was interesting but illogical!

Small caged animals that are permitted - hamsters and guinea pig.
    No small caged animals-example - rabbits, mice, rats, chinchilla, ferret,
    hedgehog or prairie dogs.

No Exotic pets – example - reptiles, spiders, insects.

Birds will be limited to - Finches, parakeets, Cockatiels, and Love Birds.
    No large birds, example - Cockatoo, African Grey, Macaw.

Fish - permitted, fish tanks that are larger than 30 gallons will be required to be insured against damage in the renters insurance policy.

Dogs:
    Small to medium size dogs – Under 40 pounds ---$200.00 per pet non-refundable pet fee. $10.00 pet rent per pet accessed every month.
    Maximum 2 at the managers discretion. Additional non-refundable pet service fee of $100.00 and $10/month pet rent.

Larger dogs – Over 40 pounds - $400.00 non refundable pet fee. $20.00 pet rent accessed every month. Larger pets permitted in townhouse buildings or first floor private entrance apartments only. Maximum one pet.

Breeds not welcomed: Rotweiller, Chow, Doberman, Pit Bull, St. Bernard, Great Dane, New Finland, German Shepherd, and French Mastiff.

Requirements: All dogs must have proof of all shots and properly licensed prior to move in, a copy of all vaccination certificates are required.
    All dogs must be one year old. A picture of your dog will be taken at the rental office prior to move in.
    Larger mixed breeds are accepted under the managers discretion only.

Cats - $200.00 per cat non-refundable pet fee, maximum two cats. $10.00 pet rent per pet accessed every month. $100.00 non-refundable pet service fee and $10/month pet rent for 2nd cat.

Requirements: Proof of all current vaccinations and copies of vaccination certificates required prior to move in. Must be one year old, spayed or neutered and front paws de-clawed or capped.
    A picture of your pet will be taken at the rental office prior to move in.

Dumping of cat litter outside as well as flushing of cat litter is prohibited. Resident will be charged for the clean up of cat litter outside the building as well as any sewer back-up experienced due to the flushing of cat litter.

What exactly is a New Finland? And a pet service fee? Are they going to walk him for me? And why is a large dog twice the amount? Strange....I always find it interesting, the rules these places come up with and often wonder about the reasoning behind them...sometimes, I just can't figure it out....
    Last edited by jennifert9; 04-21-2005 at 01:40 PM.

It's the new way of spelling Newfoundland. lol

This made me angry, but I guess it shouldn't be a surprise...

Breeds not welcomed: Rotweiller, Chow, Doberman, Pit Bull, St. Bernard, Great Dane, New Finland, German Shepherd, and French Mastiff

Yeah, that breed thing made me angry, too. I'd like to know where they get their reasoning, other than stupidity and ignorance.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

I'd refuse to live at such a place. They don't deserve all of that money.

I guess Rottweiler has a new spelling as well.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Isn't it illegal to charge monthly rent for your pet? The damage deposit is understandable, but I've heard that charging rent for a pet is illegal because pets don't have jobs...

The breed thing annoyed me as well.

Things like this make me wish I was rich enough to afford a whole bunch of houses -- I would rent them out to people with animals. Over here it's practically impossible to find a house that allows pets. You have to buy the house. And apartments either ban all dogs, or dogs over a certain height. I'm really hoping that someone I know will buy a house and allow me to rent it out. I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't find a house to rent.
    I've been BOO'd!

Yes it is sad that most people will not rent out to pet owners.
    But honestly i understand why some landlords are so anti pets. I have seen absolutely DISGUSTING apartments that were ruined by the tenants.

People seem to have a lot less respect when they are not the actual owners. And these selfish people ruin it for all the responsible pet owners out there.

If I was renting out an apartment I would probably add extra security deposits for animals too. If the tenant leaves the house in more of less the same state as they entered it, the money would be returned, no problem.

Jen-

Don't know if it will help in you situation, but does Duncan have a resume... I know it sounds funny.
    LOUD Louie has one and so do The Beans.
    It includes a picture and health info, and references from previous landlords and neighbors.
    It helped us in renting our home. The agency was impressed that we provided references for the furkids... they waived all pet fees.

Just a thought...
    Katie

Katie,

Not a bad idea!!

When I was looking for a place to live in Michigan, I couldn't believe some of the apartment complex rules. MOST of them required that the cat be declawed and proof of declawing!!! I would NEVER living in a place that required that. It's barbaric!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Good idea Katie! Unfortunately, Duncan is NOT friendly and I probably would not be able to get any neighbors to say anything good about him!! He thinks the street belongs to him!
    He has never done any damage to any apartment though so I may be able to get references from my previous landlord.
    I really don't understand why they need so much $$ for a deposit or why the large dog deposit is twice the amount!?!
    And it's NON-REFUNDABLE! So whether he does damage or not, they still keep the money...that makes NO SENSE!!

Those breeds are all banned by certain insurance companies. This complex probably has liability insurance through one of those companies so they have to prohibit them in order to keep their insurance.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Strange rules. I don't understand the limits on small caged animals. And fish tanks shouldn't require insurance, damage should be at your own risk.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Having 2 newfys what the heck are they talking about? I've never seen them on a breed list before. I know none ever need to be there but that s the first time i've seen that.

Originally posted by Corinna
    Having 2 newfys what the heck are they talking about? I've never seen them on a breed list before. I know none ever need to be there but that s the first time i've seen that.
    Get a list from an insurance company (not yours! just in case). You'll be stunned at the breeds on them. Huskies are on almost every insurance "bad breed" list out there. I saw one a few weeks ago that banned Jack Russells and Dalmations. Lots of them limit dog numbers too--no insurance for more than three dogs, even if they are teeny little ones!
    Last edited by Glacier; 04-21-2005 at 08:12 PM.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I don't undestand the caged animal rule at all. I used to have hamsters as a kid, and I remember that when they escaped they were so hard to find, infact I remember once I wasn't ever able to find my hamster. With the rats I have no problem, if one gets out I just shake the container with yogies and they come running to me.

I never understood pet rent. Most apartments in Tucson charge a pet rent. I understand paying a deposit, but pet rent? I mean if I had an extra roommate I wouldn't have to pay $10 a month for them, but I'd have to pay $10 to have a cat in my place. It makes no sense at all, other then they get more money. They know that most pet owners will pay $10 a month to keep their pet.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I was dumbfounded to read all this. Come and live in Australia Jennifer, where pets are generally welcome in rented houses and to some extent in some apartment blocks I can understand maybe asking for a bond, but extra rent? I hope you find somewhere nice to live where you can take your furfamily. Best wishes
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. (Albert Schweitzer)