Thread: Iams

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)

Iams

I just did a search and saw that this was mentioned back in August. But, I had no idea that there were even allegations against IAMS. And, I tend to take everything PETA says with a grain of salt, but, I thought I would at least post this. I'm not saying one way or the other whether I believe in all this, but, the video definitely made me sad. I just wonder how they can prove that that is an IAMS lab. I don't know, it's sad, and, I wanted to post the link. I don't feed Finn dog food, anyway, so, it doesn't so much affect me. Anyway, here it is and the thread from August.

http://www.iamscruelty.com/

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...s&pagenumber=1

and, here's a link to some companies that don't test on animals, and, you can also get to it from the first link i posted

http://www.iamscruelty.com/notTested.asp
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I feed my dogs Nutro and I didnt see their name on the list. I was surprised to see Paul Newman also has dog food. I wonder if its good?

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~

Originally posted by Jadapit
    I feed my dogs Nutro and I didnt see their name on the list. I was surprised to see Paul Newman also has dog food. I wonder if its good?
    I fed my dog and my roommate's dog and my two cats Nutro for a long time, but, my vet was against it 100%, so, I changed them all over. I've heard several vets say that Nutro is just too rich, but, man, did my pets love it! But, yeah, I wondered the same about Paul Newman, I love his dressings! I wonder if he doesn't make any money off the dog food, either. I know all the profits off his dressings go to charity or something like that. I wonder if he has a site....

EDITED to say that I went back to the link and am now on Newman's site.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

There's still only one source of meat, at least in the adult formula. But, there are a lot of bad things that AREN'T in the food, which is good. Better than a lot of stuff out there, and, the proceeds do go to charities. What an awesome guy Paul Newman is. I've always admired he and his wife.

Oh geez, I wonder if I should switch my fur kids off the Nutro I was feeding them Kibbles in Bits and I found out thats really not good and I felt really bad for giving it to them.
    My dogs do love the Nutro. Do you think it's bad for them? What do you feed Finn? I agree about the Newmans I admire them also.

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~

My dogs do love the Nutro. Do you think it's bad for them? What do you feed Finn? I agree about the Newmans I admire them also.
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. Nutro is supposed to be a really good food. I wish I could remember more details as to why my vet was against it. I just remember "too rich" coming up, but, I don't know why, so, I'd hate to say "oh, man, don't feed it." It is one of the better foods out there, but, I wouldn't put it in the category with like Royal Canin and those other harder to find brands. As for Finn, I feed him a raw diet, mostly chicken. He gets beef, fish, and pork also. I feed him cheerios as a training treat, and, whenever I eat veggies or fruit, I always give him some. A lot of people disagree with it, but, I've seen nothing but good come from the diet. He does toot a lot, though, but, that's what chicken does!

I wouldn't say that all foods that are tested are bad (PETA doesn't tell you which companies test on animals that treat them well), after all you would want them to be tested somehow so that you know they are safe, but the way they go about treating the animals they use to test on is the concern. Proctor and Gamble has had so many lawsuits and investigations that I try not to buy anything from them because I'm not sure its even safe for people to use many of their products. No, PETA does not make these things up just for attention, it is an actual IAMS lab, they just sometime forget to leave out positive information in their campaigns, like the fact that some companies test foods on pets that live in homes and are given samples of the food as their "job".
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

i am going to be switching Tikeya to Nutro Lamb and rice... I think it is an alright food... not the best but it is better then most..
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Oh geez, I wonder if I should switch my fur kids off the Nutro I was feeding them Kibbles in Bits and I found out thats really not good and I felt really bad for giving it to them.
    My dogs do love the Nutro. Do you think it's bad for them?
    Nutro isn't a bad food -- But they have varying degrees of good and bad in their products. Nutro Ultra definatly has the best ingredients, then Nutro Natural Choice, and at the bottom would be Nutro Max. They made three brands specifically for three types of people. The people that feed "grocery store brands" are more comfortable with Nutro Max because it's cheaper. That's why they use worse ingredients, to make it cheaper. The Nutro Natural Choice is pretty much just for the average person. Then, when they realised people are starting to want something more holistic, they made Nutro Ultra which as better and more expensive ingredients. Nutro is MUCH better than Kibbles N Bits. Kibbles N Bits is as low as you can get. I had the great pleasure of attending a Nutro convention and they said that their ingredients actually are human grade. Plus Nutro is privately owned. It's not a huge corporation like most of the the bad food companies.

Iams has admitted to all of the testing that went on...But they still haven't changed anything as far as I know. Ralston Purina (Purina, Pro Plan, Beneful, Alpo, Friskies, Whiskas, One, Dog Chow, Puppy Chow, etc) also does animal testing. Though I wouldn't grade it as far down as Iams/Eukanuba. Not only are their tests apparently much worse, but the entire Procter and Gamble corporation is responsible for animal testing on all of their products.
    I've been BOO'd!

Great. Purina isn't on the not tested list and neither is Science Diet. I have to be very careful of what I feed Duke. It's not like I can just decide to switch. Since his pancreatitis, I've had to be super careful. He almost died. So, does anyone know of anything similar to Purina EN? It's got lots of rice in it(canned) and I use the dry kibble, also. I definately DO NOT want to contribute to animal testing.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Here are some foods that test on animals. I'll see if I can find anymore. http://www.uncaged.co.uk/petfood.htm

IAMS / Eukanuba owned by Procter & Gamble

Hills Science Diet owned by Colgate Palmolive

Nestlé Purina/Friskies: Alpo, Bonio, Felix, Go Cat, Gourmet, Omega Complete, Proplan, Spillers, Vital Balance, Winalot.

Pedigree, Masterfoods (Mars Inc): Bounce, Cesar, Chappie, Frolic, James Wellbeloved, Katkins, Kitekat, Pal, Pedigree Chum, Royal Canin, Sheba, Techni-cal (US & Canada), Whiskas. Pedigree also manufacture Thomas rabbit food and Trill bird food.
    I've been BOO'd!

Here is a huge list of companies that practice animal testing. No dog/cat foods are listed, but their companies are. If anyone has any worries, they might want to look up the companies on here to see of their foods are owned by them.
    I've been BOO'd!

I know they test on animals, but I have always fed Niño, and ever Clark and Layla when we had them, Iams.
    I have to do a lot of research before I get a dal, though. All I know is that I either need a diet low in purines or high in purines, I'm not sure which.

Niño & Eliza