Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with Potty Training

I'm not mad, it says that at the end of my post if you read it.

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

I'm so sorry I made you feel like that - I was not talking directly to you but putting my opinion to everyone.
    I'm sure your trainer is great at training dogs - all I said is that they are not a behaviourist.
    I most certainly don't think you are stupid - I wouldn't spend time replying one to one with someone I didn't think could think for themselves.
    You are right that all dogs are different and each has different levels of instinct, different upbringing etc etc.
    I do, however, feel that I have to push the point ( I can hear everyone groaning, "No, don't do it!") that the method described for house training does not work, nor can it.
    Hope that has cleared things up?

Yes, thank you. I do understand where your coming from..I can see it making her see the feces as..well something she can eat or something. I guess thats where she got it. I saw her eat it once, like mary said. It was sooo..not right..ew. But only to the other dogs, not her own. It makes me sick thinking about it. I wasn;t sure how to train a dog when I got her though, and I thought that this trainer would know best, so I was like, hey, if she said it then I guess it should work! She also told me to put their noses right above it. I thought that was kind..well..gross, so I didn't really do it that way. I guess its the same results though. Thanks for telling me.

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Dog Training is an ongoing learning experience

As an experienced "DOG TRAINER" I would just like to say that teaching dogs obedience is an ongoing learning process. I have never trained two dogs exactly the same way. Even basic concepts change dramatically.

When I first started working with my first dog I was as GREEN as they come. I didn't know anything. That was over 25 years ago and the Koehler method of training was the big thing. Now many dogs later the Koehler method is still used by some but for the most part has been replaced with other methods such as clicker training. I have also moved onto more positive methods. They are more dog friendly and I have better success with them. I also work with several other people on dog training and teach obedience. Every dog I work with is an individual challenge and I learn with them!

To a small degree I believe I understand dog behavior but not enough to offer the invaluable advice that Carrie has in this area. I will stick to training and leave the behavior problems for the pro!

In short, owning an animal is a committment and an ongoing learning process. We all have to start somewhere. The nice thing about PET TALK is that we have a forum where we can discuss the topics that cause us problems and get advice.

Staci, has any of this helped you since you are the original poster of the question?

My Chihuahua is not completely potty trained, but she's well on her way and the way I did it for both poo and pee is consistently taking her outside after play, after eating and at least every hour at first, then every 2 hours. This was alot of going outdoors, but now I think she has the idea really well. However, we do have an occasional accident when I'm not attentive enough to notice the signs. Now she's really good about going to the door when she has to go. However, if I'm not watching her, she will do it on the floor, so I have to keep an eye on her at all times. Only once did I put her nose in her pee and it was one of those days when lots of irritations cropped up and I was not in the best of moods. That only happened once and I really don't believe it did any good.

In the same way - I wouldn't answer questions about the best way to train a dog to sit (no, really - go and have a look at that post... I didn't!) unless specific problems had arisen.

I advise all my clients to practice control and dominance techniques that I suggest and THEN go and find a good class with a trainer they trust.
    We, quite simply, don't do the same job.

Well, I have been using the "Keegan Shame on You" and saying No. Last night when she did it I whisked her outside and said Go potty and let her sniff around awhile. All the while I am remember someone saying "She is going to think you are nuts b/c she just went!"
    And I do make a big deal out of when she does go outside. And always give her a small treat when she does do her business like a good girl, but mostly lots of petting and praise.
    I know that consistency is the key, and it doesn't seem like every time I turn around now there is a puddle like it was going!!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Shais Mom - you got it - consistency is the key. I've been taking Tess out really, really often since I got her and it's really paying off. She scratches at the door now - I'm so proud and she gets praise, praise and more praise every time she does it. Even when she doesn't ask to go I take it out and almost immediately she squats, I'm not sure she really even goes sometimes, but she always squats . Probably because she knows that by doing that Mom is going to praise her and kiss her and praise her and kiss her

Help with Potty Training

Now that she goes to the door, how about hanging a bell where she can reach it ? She won't scratch up your door and you can hear it from another room.

Tess is pretty smart, but I don't think she's smart enough to ring a bell

Staci, I know you have to leave Keegan for a period of time while you are at work. What does she do for potty during that time? I guess my question is assuming that she can't hold it all day and either pottys in the house or in her cage? Is this the case? If so, it may be that it will take much longer to help her associate that pottying in the house is NOT the thing to do.

Not to imply that this would be the sole source of the problem because as you know my Hannah was just like Keegan and I was at home all day. And yes Dixie I did try crate training. Never had any problem as long as I kept her in the crate, but I didn't want a dog that lived in a crate, so eventually I would try giving her freedom and that is when despite my best efforts at a regular schedule, out after play, out after meals, out the very first thing in the morning and the very last thing at night, going with her and watching to make sure she went, making a big deal praising when she did go, teaching her the words *go potty* from day one, watching her like a hawk for that sniffing behavior, etc. etc. the puddles would occur just like you describe.

Hannah did drink a lot of water as a pup. I refused to restrict her water. Maybe that would have helped, but I just don't like that idea.

All I can tell you is NOT TO GIVE UP using the practices I describe about. Eventually the wet spots went from one a day to once every few days to one a week to once every other week to once a month, until I was able to say that Hannah was housebroken.
    I still have to be very careful with her. She has a tendency to go outside and forget to *go*. I always ask her when she gets ready to come in *Did you go potty?*. If she didn't, she will turn back and go. She is 6 years old now.

Help with Potty Training

Purrley, if you help her touch the bell every time you take her outside, she'll soon do it on her own when she needs to go out. And every time she does ring it, you have to take her out.

She really is that smart, if you help her a little.

KEEGAN IS DOING GREAT!! SHE HAS HAD MAYBE 5-6 ACCIDENTS IN THE LAST 10 DAYS AND TWO OF THEM WERE DO TO EXCITEMENT WHEN COMPANY CAME OVER! SHE HAS BEEN DOING PRETTY GOOD AT LETTING ME KNOW WHEN SHE HAS TO GO SHE GOES TO THE DOOR AND LOOKS AT ME, THE ONE TIME SHE HAD AN ACCIDENT SHE HAD BEEN OUTSIDE FOR LIKE 20 MIN AND WHEN SHE CAME IN SHE PEED AND SHE DID THAT AT MY PARENT'S HOUSE TOO WHEN THEY KEPT HER OVER NIGHT LAST WEEKEND.
    HOPEFULLY HER GRAND FINALE WAS ABOUT 2 WEEKS AGO WHEN SHE PEED ON MY BED!!!!! THAT WASN'T FUN AT ALL!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Oh Staci Bella used to do little "excitement pees" as I liked to call them. She was 100% housebroken but if company came over there would be a little spritz at the door as she ran to welcome them. Strangely she hardly ever did this when family members came home. Gradually over time they have stopped. The one place where this still happens is at the groomers. As soon as we get inside, and Linda comes over to pet her and say hello, a little dribble comes out. Fortunately Linda says that other dogs do that too. Maybe now she is peeing from stress (?) because I am sure this is not her favorite way to spend an afternoon.

Using the bell made me think of my brother-in-law's german shepherd. She asks to go in and out so much that they installed a handle on their storm door at the bottom. She now goes in and out at will, just moving the handle with her paw!

Sounds like there is progress, Staci. Just keep in mind that even the worstest dog to house break (Hannah) eventually made it. Yes we had the peeing on my bed (three times total) with a down comforter which had to then go to the cleaners and peeing on her own dog bed several times too. Those are the things that make you the craziest, aren't they?

I wouldn't count the submissive peeing when company comes. That's really something different. And of course Hannah did that as well. If we know someone is coming over, I always make sure that she has been outside before they arrive so at least she has an empty bladder. It really helps if you can get the guests to ignore her when they arrive. (That's the hard part.) Once she is more used to their being there, it isn't as likely to happen. Another thing is to try to engineer the greetings to take place on a surface that can be easily cleaned, such as the tile instead of a carpeted area. I know that has nothing to do with eliminating the problem, but it makes life easier in the process.