Thread: Agility

Agility

Anyone here doing agility with their dogs? I like doing fun agility (i.e., not competing, just doing it for fun). I would like to know an easy, quick way to build an A-Frame that is light enough for me (a 5'6" woman) to put up and take down. Plywood can be so heavy, but I don't know what else would work as some of our dogs are big (Rotties) so it needs to be something stable enough for them to go over.

Any info would be appreciated
    Have FUN with your dog today!

Hi Raian Welcome to the site, I don't think I have welcomed you before

I did agility with my dog, and I was planning on competing at some point but we never got there and I had to retire him due to an accident. I do know that the contact obsticles are some of the hardest and most dangerous to build.

I went to www.google.com (excellent search ingine in case you were not aware!!!) and found two how-to lists. I would say that I never built contact obsticles because they are so hard and there is so much work involved. I stuck with the easier weave poles and I was going to make a tire jump, and practiced the rest in our agility class.

The first one: How to build agility obsticles II

The second one: How to build agility obsticles III

Good luck

I don't really know how, but it looks lke Adoremydogs took care of that one for you.
    My lab was in an agility training thing. She loved it! It's greay exercise as well for the dog as is fun :] She came in 3rd in that.
    Our HS has some agility stuff at it. I duno does anyone elses HS have agility stuff?/ They made a HUGE dog park in back for anyone to come and use it, they have the stuff in their.

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Well good luck. We've built all the agility obstacles except the A-Frame (and the tunnels). Just haven't figured that one out yet!

I've been doing agility with Iris for 1 1/2 years. I think the sites that AdoreMyDogs suggested are good! Some other sites with some other good info are:

The Dog Agility Page

CleanRun.com

I've started competing with Iris, and we're close to some titles!
    Becky Weise & the German Shepherd
    Iris Von Der Felzen Haus CD, CGC, 2 legs of NA
    Iris' Den

Thanks everybody for the input. I've built the seesaw, a small A-frame (half the size of regulation for beginner dogs to learn on) weave poles, tons of jumps (I have horses, so I know how to build jumps!!!) and I just got two blue barrels to make the chutes with. In fact, on Saturday I cut the ends off of them. Now I have to go get some material and get them ready for our fun show on March 16.

If anyone wants to see what our club is all about, check out our website-- http://www.geocities.com/chascanineclub
    Have FUN with your dog today!