Thread: Cat wants out, what do I do?

Cat wants out, what do I do?

My cat is desperate to go outside, for the past 3 weeks she has been sitting in the windows meowing, begging to be let out. When shes not at the door or window, she is moping around the house, shes normally very spunky, but she won't play anymore. I love my cat more than anything but I want her indoors, I've had too many cats get eaten by coyotes. I just can't take the meowing anymore. She is fixed, so thats not the issue, and this is her first spring/summer, she was born last august. I was thinking of doing a run for her where I can clip her up near the house when I'm outside so she can't run away and I can keep her safe. Do you guys have any ideas? I am at my wits end and I need to do something fast. Thank you for any help!

Get a collar or harness and a leash. I did this when Tubby was young and the collar and rope never bothered him and he loved to go outside! Then when I got Peanut I did the same for her, and she adores being outside. CJ is already 7 years old and has never had a leash, so it kind of freaked him out, so it's going to be a little tougher to get him used to it, but since your kitty is still young, she will learn to adapt to it. T & P & CJ are/were never outside unless I was right there with them. We don't have a problem with coyotes here, but there are other stray cats around - and other house cats that people let roam - and it would be so unfair if one of them wanted to start a fight and Peanut or CJ were tied up and couldn't properly defend themselves.

Last year I got this little "pen" for them. It's not a great picture of the cage, but here is CJ's first time in it.

Unfortunately the website where I got it is not working right now - they may have stopped selling them - but it is only pvc pipe with some fencing around it attached by releaseable wire ties and a little netting stuff on top so they can't jump out. Should be a piece of cake to rig up, and is easy enough to take down and store in a small rolled up package. I can try and get better pics tonight if you're interested.

Good luck with getting kitty outside. I totally agree that she shouldn't be out without you near by, and either the leash or a little pen like this will make her quite happy I'm sure.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Thank you very much! I've never had this problem with my other cats, and I wasn't sure if a run or a cage outside would appease her. I actually have a cage outside that we used to let out chickens run around in, so they weren't roaming free, it should work nicely for her. I'll go try it right now, lol thank you for returning some of my sanity!

I have a portable kennel that I put my cats in. They love it.

Originally posted by k386trl
    Thank you very much!
    Glad I could help, and welcome to PT! If you haven't noticed, we love pictures here, so a few quick snapshots of your kitty in her new run would be awesome!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

what we do if she has to go out once in awhile, we jsut put her in her pet taxi and set her outside.

Thats tough,as Princess,and JJJ3,want to go out,as they love,to run out,and play,but this no longer,is a good neighborhood,for them,to go out in.

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS