Thread: Incontinence problems (Reggie)

Incontinence problems (Reggie)

Reggie has been having some problems with urinating in the house. It's not a territory marking problem he's doing it because he can't help it. He'll just be walking around then start squatting and going, I'm not sure if he even realizes he's doing it. He doesn't bother to let us know when he wants outside anymore...occassionally he'll bark but that's maybe once a day. We just have to let him out really often but even then he's still doing it. This morning he had just been outside within a half hour and he just squatted and starting going right in front of my parents.

So my question is...is there some sort of medication that could help with this? I'm going to try and figure out if I can make something he could wear to prevent more accidents.

Oh and if you don't know Reggie is a schnauzer and he is 12 years old.

Hi Amy....Tori takes Proin for her spay incontinence and she hasn't had any problems or accidents since she started taking it. Ask your vet about it and see what he/she says. I'll be thinking about Reggie. Let us know how is he.

I'd suggest taking him to your vet. Bladder stones are VERY common in schnauzers. This actually sounds more like stones than normal age induced incontinence. That usually occurs when they're sleeping.

Hope he feels better soon!

Originally posted by micki76
    I'd suggest taking him to your vet. Bladder stones are VERY common in schnauzers. This actually sounds more like stones than normal age induced incontinence. That usually occurs when they're sleeping.

Hope he feels better soon!
    I agree. Hope reggie gets better soon.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

If it were bladder stones would he act like he's in pain? He doesn't act like he's in pain at all. He's been doing this off and on since last year...have a couple accidents one week then go weeks with no problems.

Originally posted by wolf_Q
    If it were bladder stones would he act like he's in pain? He doesn't act like he's in pain at all. He's been doing this off and on since last year...have a couple accidents one week then go weeks with no problems.
    Not at all. It just makes them suddenly have to pee because their bladder doesn't have enough room. Chester did this for a looonnngg time before we discovered his stones, by accident. Our vet thought it was a stubborn bladder infection.

He would occasionally stand there like he was peeing for a long time, with no urine coming out, but that and the sudden pee "attacks" were his only symptoms. I used to know someone who bred & showed schnauzers ages ago and this was their most common ailment. It may not be what's going on with Reggie, but since it's an ongoing problem, I'd want to have the vet check him out.

Amy, rule out all the medical stuff, then have your vet pursue Proin or something like that. I think Anna used it with Angus, and we use it with Murphy (but she's a girl). Good luck to you and Reggie.

Logan

Yes, you need to take him to the vet asap to rule out anything medical (most likely it is something medical, and there might be a trial and error period).

In the mean time, I'm sure the dog doesn't enjoy going potty in the house, and doesn't like getting in trouble for it. But as you said, he just might not be able to help it.
    So go ahead and keep him crated when you can, and/or keep him on a leash, tethered to your belt loop. That way you can keep an eye on him, and catch him from peeing while your walking or sitting around the house.
    In addition, take him out every hour, on the hour to help lessen the chance of accidents.
    "If you won't rescue, don't breed"

Originally posted by Logan
    Amy, rule out all the medical stuff, then have your vet pursue Proin or something like that. I think Anna used it with Angus, and we use it with Murphy (but she's a girl). Good luck to you and Reggie.

Logan
    Yep Logan is right, we did use it for Angus because of his dribbing problem.

Good luck on finding out what the problem is Amy.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Thanks for the advice. I talked to my parents and my mom is going to take him to the vet sometime this week.

Hi there, i didnt read the other posts, but my Senorita has a urinary incontinence problem and she will be starting medication soon, she doesnt squat and go in front of us, she just leaks it sometimes in her sleep or while sitting when she gets up there is pee in the floor , (thankgoodness for hard wood floors)

The vet said there were 2 kinds they could take, i cannot remember the names of them, but we are going to give it a shot after her urine test.

So, yes i believe meds can help , but we will see.