Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breeding Rabbits

Breeding Rabbits

I need help big time! How often can u breed your rabbits apart? My rabbit gave birth to 5 rabbits on Monday April 11, but lost 3 of them today. I may lose the last 2 babies. When can I breed her again? Please help!!!!!!

Its not really safe to breed *any* animal within a few months of them delivering babies. They need enough time to rest, or you risk losing the next litter and possibly the momma.

Ok Thanks. I guess I will wait for about 4 weeks from the day she delivered and then try again.

I've read that you should wait six weeks before re-breeding.
    I've been BOO'd!

may i ask why you want to breed? is it for you or you sell them? cus you can spay her, and just adopt some homeless bunnies.. thers tons that need homes. AND you dont risk loosing your bun to breeding'

I am breeding my rabbit for a profit. I have 2 females that I'm going to use for breeding. I have one male in which I'm going to use for the breeding.

Ok I will wait until 6 weeks from the date she delivered and then breed her again. Thanks.

Breeding animals for a profit is NEVER a good idea. Most city shelters euthenize (sp?) on averege 15 dogs a day, 20 cats, and I'm not sure the exact number of small pets, but there are a lot of homeless rabbits out there too, not just dogs and cats. The only reson to buy is if you are showing them, like me. That is why I bought mine from a breeder instead of rescuing him. Oh, and my breeder has been doing it over 10 years. I sure hope your rabbit is ok.

Niņo & Eliza

I don't believe in breeding unless it is for the better of the breed. Most animal shelters are up to their knees in rabbits. My local animal shelter usually had 15-20 rabbits at a time. Only reputable breeders should be breeding.

Remember, when breeding, that you should have hundreds of dollars on hand incase your rabbit needs an emergency C-section or she dies unexpectedly and leaves you to care for her babies. Breeding can be very expensive.
    I've been BOO'd!

crazy4lops,
    good luck in breeding! I love Holand lops. What kind of lops do you have? I'm trying to get my Holands to breed successfuly. Mine will be sold to kids in 4-H or at an ARBA show if they breed this time.

There isn't much of a problem in rabbits ending up at the shelter where I live. I work w/ a rescue group and they get alot of the animals from the shelter and I believe in the last 2 years only 5 or 6 rabbits have shown up.

I'm not too sure what kind of Lops I have. I think they are called Neverland lops, but I could be wrong. I'll find out for you though and then I'll post it here.

Well I may be able to breed my rabbits but for some reason my female won't feed her babies. I just lost the last 2 babies today(Apr 17). Maybe next litter will be better.

Originally posted by crazzy4lops
    I'm not too sure what kind of Lops I have. I think they are called Neverland lops, but I could be wrong. I'll find out for you though and then I'll post it here.

Well I may be able to breed my rabbits but for some reason my female won't feed her babies. I just lost the last 2 babies today(Apr 17). Maybe next litter will be better.

you can't breed them too often, thats why they need times to rest. imagine how you'd feel to be pregnant 3-4 times immediatly after giving birth to the last. I don't think you'd feel much like feeding them either, then.

If you don't even know what type of rabbit you are breeding you shouldn't be breeding them in the first place. Lord only knows what flaws are being created and what is happening to the babies. Backyard breeders are the best!
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

I'm not too sure what kind of Lops I have. I think they are called Neverland lops, but I could be wrong. I'll find out for you though and then I'll post it here

Time to find a new hobby/job. If you don't even know what kind of rabbits you have, you should NOT be breeding.

Just be careful when breeding your rabbits, because you never know!Well I know I am not t alking about advice in what I will say next so is ther anyone near Beloit, Wisconsin want to use my blue rex buck for breeding?I am not sure how much yet but I will TRY to get pictures up as soon as possibale or else I will try and get pics up on my website!!Just let me know!
    Love always to my Lovely paso fino!!!

Ok everyone sounds like they mad at me or something. I have Loped Eared Rabbits. I don't know if they are Holland Lops or Netherland Lops. All 3 of my Lops are from the same breeder. Just different parents. The way I look at it the Pet Stop I deal with needs more rabbits. I am helping him out with breeding my rabbits. There is alot of people in my town who want a Lop rabbit. The way I looked at it they are my rabbits and if I want to breed them to help out people in my town then I'll do it. The vet told me that with a first litter it sometimes happen. Well this was my first litter. I'll know what to look for the next time. People need to stop worrying about how often I breed my rabbits. I just asked a question about how far apart I should wait before I breed her again since she lost the litter. It was my first time I ever bread her. I'm sorry if I pissed any body off.