Thread: dog run

dog run

I am a firm believer in having the dogs run without being cooped or tied up. However, this puppy is pressing her luck. Does anyone have any feedback on dog kennel/runs? What do you think of them etc.?

Chow
    D

hm. . do you mean letting them run around without a fence around the yard? No, I don't believe in that. Its not even legal

Dog runs can be handy, they're a secure place for dogs who are known to dig under or jump fences. . if the dogs cant be kept inside while people are gone. I don't think dogs should live in dog runs, at all, and they should get plenty of exercise and inside time when people are home. Your pup sounds bored and destructive. . . give her plenty of entertaining toys (Buster Food Cube), chewies (Greenies, Edible Nylabones, large rawhides, Galileo, Kongs, etc) and exercise her as much as possible. Most large pups her age need 1 hour or more of running exercise, and lots of play sessions. You might try taking her to the dog park to get some excess energy out, as soon as she learns some manners and has decent recall. There are puppy play classes everywhere, which would help socialize her. Obedience classes are also VERY essential for pups her age, 6 months is actually the latest you can start puppy kindergarten so try to get her into Basic Obedience. 15-30 minute training sessions at home every day always tire out a puppy

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

dog run

no no no, I mean free run within a fenced yard. As for toys, she has it all....kongs, nylabones with nibs, balls, frisbees, tug a war toys...and lots of other things, all bought for her. She's more interested in digging my back yard up and stealing items that aren't hers. I was thinking of the dog run (the long wide/tall ones), that way she would still have room to roam and perhaps her own digging spot and it would only be when I cannot "supervise" her playing. I know some people who have them and love it and their dogs also love it. Easy to clean up as everything is in an area, not all over. The dogs love it as they know it is their area only. Not sure yet if I will go this route, but she needs to stop digging or I'm gonna have problems. I have a daycare from my home and my kids are small - the holes she's putting in the yard are big enough for a child's foot to get stuck in, trip over - possibility hurt themselves....so this is why I need to do something. As for the chewing, everyone knows if they see her with an item of "clothing/shoes", take it away from her and say "No Sadie"....
    Chow
    D

thats good . . I'm sure a run would be fine for her, theyre a lot more safe in case she gets the idea to dig under the fence!! There are really nice runs available from most feed stores that are large with a nylon covering on the roof for shade and rain protection. Like others said, it would be nice to give her a little sandbox in the yard! Or even in her dog run! When you find her digging, tell her "wrong", immediately take her over to her sandbox and encourage her to dig there, then fill up the hole she dug in the dirt right away. Burying biscuits, toys and bones in the sand might encourage her too. You can just buy a cheap kiddie pool and fill it half-way with sand And, about the clothes-stealing, nothing to really do about that except to puppy-proof everything! Tell your kids if they don't keep their clothes in their drawers/closets, theyre going to get chewed up and if you catch her doing it, tell her "NO" and immediately give her a dog chewie.

If she seems over-excited, she might need more exercise. . I cant imagine she would be SO into digging if you tired her out before going into the yard with a jog around the nieghborhood or a 1/2 hour of ball-playing. Or maybe she's just a digger ^_^ good luck!! Its great that you already have all of those fun toys for her, and its soo awesome of you to rescue her!

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Thanks for the welcome...I will be looking into the dog run as I think it's a safe bet right now. My puppy seems to not be digging as much, but still stealing things. Actually I try to get upset with her, but she's so darn adorable and gives kisses galore, that I can't stay mad. I'm just a big suck and animals and kids can push me over most time. Have a good nite
    Chow
    D