Thread: urinating on sofa

urinating on sofa

my five month old pup is paper trained, but sometimes he will urinate on the sofa. he knows that is wrong, but why does he keep doing it? will neutering him , help?

Neutering may not help for this problem, but he is the right age to have it done so that marking does not become a problem along with other health and behavioral problems that are associated with an unaltered dog.

If your pup is paper trained, then he thinks it is ok to go potty in the house whether it's on the paper, the floor, or furniture. Another reason he could be peeing on the couch is because of a UTI which you will have to get a fresh sample as he's going potty and have it tested by a vet.

If he doesn't have a bladder infection, then you need to start working on housebreaking him so that he learns that outside is where he needs to go potty, not in the house. Paper training is ok for little puppies who can't hold themselves, but a pup his age should be housebroken.
    Love is Adoptable. Adopt a Pit Bull.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Animals Die.

If Pit Bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Pit Bulls.

Oh my goodness.

When I adopted Bella (she was about 3) I had the same problem, but with the extra bed. The only was i got around it was lots of supervision, and LOTS of patience. Whenever she jumped up on the couch or extra bed, I took her outside for a potty. if she didn't go pee within 5 minutes, we went back inside. It may take awhile, but eventually your pup will get the hang of it.

Good luck!

Hello, thanks for the replies..
    I feel that my pup knows that what he did is wrong, he will hide after he urinate on the sofa or potty near the study table. i realise that he likes to potty near the study table,, although, he knows it is wrong.. he has that guilty look on his face and will start hiding after he did that. why keep doing it? is it because my cat's toilet is nearby and he wants a stronger smell than the cat? really puzzles me.

So it's not just the couch he's going on? Ok, well, that still tells me that he doesn't know that going potty in these places is wrong, but he has associated going potty with getting in trouble.
    Love is Adoptable. Adopt a Pit Bull.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Animals Die.

If Pit Bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Pit Bulls.

haha.. no, he has not associate going potty as getting into trouble, because when he potty in the right place, he will be running to me for compliments,, or pat on the head..
    dogs are smart, i think they just try to act dump, when they don't want to do what u want them to do.. when i command my dog 'crate'.. he just give u the look 'what are u talking about?'.. but i am so sure he knows it!