Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: did it again

did it again

added2 more levels, do u think they r spoiled?

lol, I think they are spoiled!! that's neat though, LOTS of room for your bunnies!!!

Thanks Kay!!

~It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you~ -Batman Begins

Looks fab! You are an inspiration for me to get myself in gear. I was wondering, what do you use as a door?

Also do they get along better now?
    Mom to 9 wonderful bunnies and an energetic young cat from you-know-where.
    Bunny Basics educator
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Noah, Casey, Daisy, Marie, Velvet, Emma, Robbie, Chocolate

My buns and I are jealous!

not just spoiled....SPOILED ROTTEN!!!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Definatley spoiled! They are very lucky to have a mommy like you, I know I love it when I'm spoiled!

Chrissy [human] Snowy [bichon/maltese] Buttons ['tiel] Bubbles [CT betta]

-the zoo crew-
    RIP Taffy, Fluffy, Rainbow, Sushi, and The Fishies
    thatDARNhorse <3

That is FANTASTIC, if only more bunnies were as lucky as your two, to me that is what every bunny deserves. good on you for making their home so wonderful and Roomy. hopefully you will inspire other's to build one like yours.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

i have a row of the grids loose, and tied together, and i keep it locked with a pad lock, because anything else, roby will get open, hes an escape artist, it seems they are getting along, but since i made it bigger, they havent been eating as much . is this because they are using more energy, o wait, that would cause them to eat more, are they eating less because they are less bored to overeat? i dunno, its like they refuse the pellets lol, but they LOVE when i give them veggies.

WOW, what lucky bunnies!! ^_^

Good for them for refusing pellets........many, many rabbit vets have come out against feeding buns any pellets at all. Adult buns (over 1 yr old) especially don't need pellets. Alfalfa pellets are very high in calcium, so the extra calcium goes into the bladder. Babies are fine on pellets and need the calcium for growing bones. But for adults, the calcium that doesn't get excreted in their urine stays in the bladder and can form bladder stones, and then you have a very sick bunny that may require surgery.

If you continue to feed them pellets check urine puddles for a white center....the excess calcium will look like white/light yellow powder if the urine puddle has dried. That's a danger sign and you need to cut back on the pellets immediately.
    Last edited by Daisylover; 04-15-2005 at 03:53 PM.
    Bunny Basics educator
    Ann Arbor, MI

i need to go to store and get some tons of veggies, i give them carrots and cilantro, im gonna look up what else is safe, what do ur buns love?

That is some Taj Mahal ya got happening there, AshleyCat. I notice you don't use any shavings for them as bedding, just carpet. What do they need shaving for anyway, right? It just get stuck in their hair, gets all over the house, you then have extra vacuuming chores, you don't have to worry about any toxic fumes, and hey, you save yourself a bunch of cash. Am I right?

DaisyLover: I just read your comment to ashleycat about it not being such a great idea that bunnies eat so many pellets. Seriously, I'm not being cheeky or anything by this next question, but what on earth would you feed them? Other than the fruits and veggies that you normally would. I've always thought that, that was what you were supposed to be feeding your bunnies (pellets) Please enlighten me, the suspense is killing me. I suspensfully await your answer. Thanx.
    We shut up our loved ones with years of "helpful criticism"

they are litter box trained, well, i didnt really have to train them, they wanted to do it anyways, they are clean animals. except for happy pills they leave behind, lol.. i have a hand vac with an extension that i use to clean their cage. roby used to chew the carpet, but i kept a close eye on him, so far so good. they used to have that kitchen flooring, but i upgraded to carpet. luxury living, i would put pet beds in there if i knew they wouldnt chew on that too. i have cardboard boxes,and tubes for them to chew on..
    as for food. fruits veggies and hay oh, and water, is all they need, if you give enough of it. pellets? i dunno why.. WELL, i gotta question, what would cats eat if there were no dry cat food or the wet kind, made for them? go out an catch some mice and birds, lol i think im gonna grow a garden for the bunnies,

Sorry not to have replied before now...I'm at work and it's been a very busy week.

RE your questions about a rabbit diet: many, many rabbit vets don't like the pellets for the reasons I stated: it's a man-made product, too high in calcium and protein, too low in fiber. The high calcium can cause the bladder problems, low fiber can cause digestive problems and too high protein adversely effects their organs.

You might look at www.rabbit.org This organization is the premier experts in having rabbits as house pets. They do allow pellets but only about 1-2 Tablespoons per 5 lbs of bunny...so it's a treat and not the diet mainstay:
    1. number one food should be unlimited amounts of timothy (not alfalfa--again too high in calcium) should be the primary food for rabbits. Great for the digestive system, which is delicate in rabbits.
    2. Then dark green veggies: green leaf lettuce, romaine, spinach, collards, dandelion greens (my buns favorite food), turnip and mustard greens (my buns won't eat either one), endive, outer leaves of boston lettuce. Notice I did not mention iceberg lettuce.....it has too much water in it and not enough nutrients and can cause diahrea in buns. Buns can have a limited amount of broccoli, cauliflower, the dark green outer cabbage leaves. Just like in people these can cause excess gas in the tummy which is very painful and, if bad enough, can kill rabbits. My buns love kale too but it needs to be given in limited amounts as it contains calcium. Regarding carrots....carrots are high in sugar so the carrot should be limited to 1-4 inch piece per day. My buns love parsnips, beets, kohlrabi (peeled). Never ever give cucumbers, tomatoes, any kind of beans or peas, no corn. No cereal, bread, crackers, cookies, popcorn, etc. Fruit: they can have small amounts of blueberries, strawberries, applie slice, raspberries, a small piece of banana (1-2 inch). Never overfeed fruit as it can cause runny poo.

There are a number of rabbit care websites and most of them will all say the same thing about diet. Rabbits as pets really became popular about 12-15 years ago; before that most were considered farm animals and raised for meat. Pellets were developed for the farmer as a fast way to feed them. Also, since their life expectancy was so short no one ever worried about the contents of pellets or the imbalance of calcium, fiber and protein in the pellets.

When people began to realize that buns made good pets, researchers and veterarians started studying their diet, health and social needs. Information about the care of rabbits has changed dramatically with these studies and unfortunately much of the old theories of rabbit care remains, handed down by word of mouth. Improved diet, treatments for ill rabbits, medications and their social requirements have led to rabbits having a longer life span. Life expectancy for rabbits, esp house rabbits, as gone from 3-4 years to an average of 7-11 years, while outdoor bunnies in hutches still tend to have a much shorter life, due to weather, being forgotten, lack of plentiful food, water and limited, if any, interactions with people or other bunnies.

Sorry didn't mean to make this such a long reply or for this to sound like a lecture....but I DO teach rabbit care classes and it's pretty hard for me to get off my soapbox! They are the BEST pets and I would do anything for mine so I seldom pass up the chance to spread the word about these furry bundles of affection.
    Hope this info helps.
    Last edited by Daisylover; 04-15-2005 at 11:59 AM.
    Bunny Basics educator
    Ann Arbor, MI

Spoiled, spoiled, spoiled!! Lucky wabbits!!
    DeviantArt
    Beth-
    Maggie [lab x germanshepherd], Autumn [Cattle dog x chow], C.P. [Domestic short hair] Henry [domestic short hair] Mittens [siamese/ x ], Buck [paint horse], Indy [Paint horse]