Thread: i'm going CRAZY!!!

i'm going CRAZY!!!

i need incouragment. Gracie is driving me crazy and when i get upset, my mom gets upset, then my dad gets upset.

Gracie gets sooo much exercise it's stupid. the first thing we do when we get up is walk a mile. i come back and feed her and take her out to use the bathroom. when i bring her back in and put her on the porch....she screams and cries and i can't let her do that because i have neighbors that don't like dogs. so i bring her in and she chews on everything else but the toys i gave her.

the dogs love to play. they would play all day long if they could. my mom hates it when they play. who knows why. i think she says they look too mean when they play. so i have to stop whatever i'm doing and take them to my room to let them be dogs and play.

please tell me this will end soon!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Re: i'm going CRAZY!!!

Originally posted by lute
    please tell me this will end soon!
    Oh please forgive me but I can't help but laugh right now
    Husky pups are so very demanding and I for one couldn't wait till Roxey grew up. Of course it took her about 2 years
    Not much incouragement is it?

The best thing I can tell you is what I did.
    I have to say I never really had any problem with her chewing on things in the house but that may have been because I kept her with me everywhere I went no matter where I went in the house. So she never really had the chance to chew.
    Now of course when I would let her outside with Angus and I wasn't watching, she did her fair share of tearing up anything she could get her little mouth on So I guess what I'm saying is keep her with you at all times!
    Now I also suggest taking her to obedience classes. This did wonders for Roxey, just ask anyone here who has met her. She really listens very well for a husky. She loved going so I just kept taking her (we even went through the same class 3 times!).

I hope things get better for you and Gracie soon!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I agree with anna_66. A training class would definately be a benefit.

This is perfectly normal husky behavior, especially for a pup. You haven't even hit the worst of it yet. Wait till she's about 9 months old and realizes she's a husky! Huskies go through an acting out teenager stage around then. I have found that somewhere between 2 and 3 their brains turn back on, but they still need an extremely high level of activity and exercise.

Is that mile walk in the morning the only one she gets in the day? That's not nearly enough exercise for a husky. A tired husky is a good husky. She's a smart little dog. If you don't find ways to tire her out and keep her occupied, the chewing will continue. I have 12 year old huskies who will still find something to wreck if they get bored enough!

Earle's puppyhood was enough to convince me that we will never have a puppy again!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I have never been through husky puppy time. We got Sequoia when she was 3 and a half. But she is VERY demanding of attention when we are home. She HATES being left in her kennel if we are outside and will cry and howl. So we take her with us almost everywhere we go. She is good once we drive off to go to work. Everyone has said she doesn't make a peep. However, once she sees our car coming down the driveway she will start to fuss. But she isn't destructive. She hasn't destroyed a single stuffed toy yet. She barely chews bones so she doesn't chew the furniture at all.

Good luck and keep exercising your pup!

Denyce

You can also tire a pup out mentally, not just physically. A basic training class would probably help a lot, and keep practising her commands when you are home.

When Tito was a puppy, he sounded exactly like Gracie, sometimes i wanted to cry! He is now18 monthes and still a little crazy, but getting better and better.

thanks everyone.

i do keep her with me at all times. i keep her on a leash so i can watch her. she hasn't really ruined anything with her chewing, she just ignores all her toys and prefers to chew on anything she can get her big mouth on.lol

as for obedience classes i can't really tak her to them because she's a showdog and we are going to conformation classes(starting next week)i don't want her to get confused.

Actually, all conformation dogs NEED obedience training, thats basically the first step. Basic commands and focus is definitely needed in the show ring, as acting up can get you kicked out. I don't think it would confuse her at all The more obedient and focused on YOU your dog is, the better they will do in shows.

It sounds like, welcome to puppyhood!! Our nieghbors got a Border Collie puppy, and I warned them about their energy level and intellegence, and right about now they're pulling their hair out and wishing they listened to me . . . if she is put outside alone, she also screams. She has turned into an escape artist. She chews everything, madly wants to chase cars, chases their 4 year-old, normal puppy stuff. When they walk her, she yanks them around and jumps up next to them to bite the leash and their hands the WHOLE time. . I just see them walking by my house, with Layla bouncing up and down next to them it's sad, but way too funny. They're like, "WOW how did Gonzo get to behave so well?". . TONS of OB and just maturing, thats all you can do. Huskies are even more demanding then BC's, in a lot of ways. We DID warn you !! I do not think I could handle a young Husky, even though I love them to pieces. . She definitely needs more than a 1-mile walk. Try jogging/walking, and if she's still energetic run her around the backyard, throw a ball/frisbee for her, and keep her mentally stimulated. Teach her all of the basic commands with hand signals, pratice daily if you haven't already, and feed her meals/snacks in a buster cube or a talk-to-me treat ball. Puppies need plenty of mental and physical challenge to develop into a smart, well-adjusted adult.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

thank you bckrazy. i knew what i was gettin into gettin a husky, i know i can handle, just the past two days Gracie has been a lot more trouble.

she knows how to walk on a leash really well and when i say "leave it" she leaves it. she's almost always going to her crate when i say "crate". i havn't taught her OB because i thought that she would get confused. now that i know she won't i'll start teaching her the basics.

i'll start walking her longer also. we walk a mile 3 times and play with her fellow puppy friend ,Cookie ,almost everyday. i thought that would be enough for such a young puppy, but i guess if she needs more i'll do more. no problem.

(i don't want to upset anyone, but Gracie is a showdog and yes, she's a family member first, but she's just a practice dog. she will be the last sibe i get. they are not the breed for me. don't think just because they aren't the breed for me i won't love her just as much. she's my baby and i love her to death, but after i'm done showing her and she's retired, i'm done with sibes. on to the breed i was ment to be with...great danes.)

Kennel training could help, I doubt basic training would stop her from chewing lol Shes got new teeth and puppy energy, the only thing that "fixes" that is TIME! Something that will save you ALOT of time and energy, is find a very large completely fenced baseball field, take a toy thats easy for you to throw long distances - and let her go at it! The difference in Frankie and Jillian before and after visiting the field, is like night and day. Much more relaxed, calm, lately we've actually been able to leave Jillian out of the kennel when we go out, and she hasnt destroyed anything in a long time!

remember their only puppers once, enjoy the holes in the couch while they last lol