Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: indoor or outdoor pet???

3 of my 4 cats are strictly indoors. Panda Bear (my semi-feral cat) is becoming more and more indoors, especially now its getting cold - she spent all last winter outdoors so I'm sure she's happy as a lark being inside now. She doesn't bolt for the door near as often as she did. She's turned into such a loveable doll so she enjoys all the loves she gets from me. The other 3 have never been outdoors and seem really afraid of the outside.

When we got our back yard fenced in, I thought my dogs would enjoy spending a little time outdoors, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Despite the fact that they have each other for company, they don't want to stay out for more than 5 minutes at a time. Although if conditions are ideal, occasionally they can last for 15. Now when it is time to play, and I go out with them, they have a grand time and enjoy the out of doors immensely. They would stay out for hours if I were with them.

3. Edwina is allowed into the fenced (six foot) backyard only with her harness and leash and with adult supervision. Although she loves to go out we have found that she has absolutely NO interest in being outside the fence -- in fact she shakes and cries. She will ask to go into the house when she has had enough fresh air. If I tell her it is time and pick up her leash she will walk to the door with me.

(BTW, the purpose of the leash is to be able to find her when she hides in the bushes or to stop her when she decides to chase a bird. It trails behind a bit like a train on a ball gown!)

Glad also to see PJ's mom back missed you too.Winky the old cat spends summer days out winter just long enough to do his biz ,(arthrites had hit him)Ebby (midnight) stays in. Merlin on the other hand only to do his biz in the summer, But winter let me out till I'm and ice cube(weird dog)He is on a run line as we have no fence yet (this spring I hope) has a 25ft lead on a 50 ft teather between trees.
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel

King likes being inside and outside. but what he really wants is to be at my side, so he spends most of his time indoors. but i think a lot of that has to do w/ spending ten years of his life on a chain. sometimes we're outside playing and he'll ask to come in. but if being outside consists of a leash and leaving the yard, he loves being outside.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by catwoman:
    [QB]What?!! Go outside?

NEVER! The VET lives out there ...

My cats' thoughts exactly!

My dog, Bella, would go out 1,000,000 times a day if I would let her. I know a lot of it is just regular "doggy exploring" to see what new smells are out there since her last trip outside. She also loves trying to catch the occasional rabbit, squirrel or bird. Sometimes she goes out just to plop down and sun herself. Often as she is standing by the door for the umpteenth time we have to say to her "but Bella you were just out!"

Sadie is pretty much an inside doggy!!!

Sarah & Sadie*

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

My pets are all outside kind.
    5 horses, 1 burro, 1 llama, 5 fainting goats
    5 sheep, 3 cows,100's of chickens,& guineas
    3 geese, and about 25 peacocks.
    What a mess if they weren't!!
    Ps. also 2 dogs and 6 fat barn cats.
    I love them all

Ollie

We let the Pixelcat go outside when we lived on a quiet street and had a yard. Our apartment was very small and poorly ventilated, so having a catbox, no matter how often we cleaned it, didn't work out too well.

Then we moved to a bigger place on a busy street, and The Pix became an indoor-only cat. (Sorry, buddy!) He adjusted very well. We've since moved again to another place where it would be inappropriate to let him outdoors, but we have some great windows for him to look out of, so he's happy.

And the bunny always stays in, of course. She likes the carpet!

Simba like being inside on the lazy boy, or on our beds.. but he LOVES laying in that Florida sun outside! Everything from chaseing lizzards, sticking your nose threw the hole in the fence and saying hi to neighbors, to rolling around in your own poop and digging holes to find bugs such as big fat nasty grubs that you chew up and show to mommy to freak her out!!! SOOoOOoOoooOOo Much fun!
    Hes a Florida boy.... me and my mom tease that is why he is soooo tan cause hes always out back laying in the sun!

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    My 2 cats go out during daytime, come in in the late afternoon and than they sleep on the beds, heaters or laps. They know this is the rule until early morning when they back door goes open again. My male cat was living on the streets for a long time and he likes to be outside, but stays around all day in case I call him. He comes within 2 seconds. The girl is very independant and comes when it suits her. There are a few other cats walking around here, and it's nice that they can spend time in the wintersun on the roofs, lay under the trees in the summer, and generally enjoy a wonderful catlife.

My dog is where I am; we go for walks together or to the dog play field. She's not allowed in the garden without supervision because we're not too happy about her views or gardening (digging & pulling out plants).

I have 5 INDOOR house bunnies. They might get to go outside 3 times a year under strict supervision and only then in a pen. There are just too many predators...kids, dogs, hawks... Occasionally I feel guilty about it but the secret with bunnies is that the more attention you give them, the more they turn into these really great friends. Bunnies kept in barns or outside cages don't get near enough attention and don't really develop their personalities or turn into loving companions. There are a few exceptions. I also volunteer at a rabbit sanctuary and some of the bunnies crave human companionship but most are leery. Buns can be litter-box trained and can also be destructive so it's vital to bunny-proof their living area but it is well worth it. They are truly great companions.
    Mom to 9 wonderful bunnies and an energetic young cat from you-know-where.
    Bunny Basics educator
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Noah, Casey, Daisy, Marie, Velvet, Emma, Robbie, Chocolate