Thread: Frogs and Dogs

Frogs and Dogs

I heard that Frogs are bad for dogs rather it be eating or simply touching them, anyone know?

I heard that they can be poisonous to dogs, even looked it up on Google after someone told me that. I think it said they have to bite or eat a frog (or toad) and can get very sick.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

It depends on the species. I can try to find you a website I've seen. I know in parts of the south near Florida they have cane toads that are deadly to dogs, and other creatures that eat them.
    Here is the website: http://www.petplace.com/articles/artShow.asp?artID=2752
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

YIKES! I didn't know this! I'm going to have to check on this! I let Fenway go after the TONS of frogs near our home. He's never eaten them or biten into one. He just chases them! I always say he's going to get warts but I didn't think they could poison him! I'm such a bad parent! First I let him eat grapes when he was a puppy and then find out they can be deadly and now frogs! My poor baby! I'm so glad somebody posted this!

We're in south florida, and the frogs here are very bad. Greta, the terror ummm terrier, will chase anything that moves, and has gotten frogs a few times. They've made her very sick, frothing at the mouth, lethargic, etc. We've always caught her before she's actually eaten them, but the contact itself has been bad enough.

We also had our neighbor's dog wander into the abuttment next to our back yard. She was in very bad shape, and it was from eating, or just licking, a frog.
    honor

Greta & Cassius

honor_fl, that's horrible! I NEVER knew frogs could do that! I just read on the website that was posted that those poisonus frogs are found more in the Southern part of the country. But I'm going to do some more research. I have to bring Fenway to the vet this Saturday for a kennel cough vacination so I'll ask about the frogs up in the Northeast part. Poor little Greta. Has she learned her lesson (not to go after frogs anymore)?

Has she learned her lesson (not to go after frogs anymore)?
    Nope, she's a pretty stubborn girl. We have to keep a close watch on her when she's out in the back playing. But you can always tell when she's hunting :-)
    honor

Greta & Cassius

When I was a kid we had a yorkie. Shortly after we moved to florida he got a toad in the backyard. He didn't actually eat it, just bit it. He started foaming at the mouth and we took him to the vet. I don't remember what the vet did, but in the end our yorkie was fine. After that we learned to watch him better when he was outside.

The southern five-lined skink is also dangerous to pets. My cat Roxy had eaten one before I had gotten her. She got very sick. Her owners at the time paid all of her vet bills and then decided they didn't want her anymore. The previous owner got my number from a friend of mine who used to work at the vet clinic and I took Roxy. When I got her she was in bad shape. She fell down a lot, tilted her head almost all the time and drooled. I've now had her 3 years and she's improved, but is still a little off. She no longer drools at all. Her balance still isn't great, but she can walk pretty good, she just can't jump. She can't stand in the litter box too well either, so we have a pee pee pad down for her that she uses. We have to keep her in our bedroom away from the other cats because she is afraid of them.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

KBlaix, it was so nice of you to take in Roxy. It's a shame she's not 100%. But it sounds like she's doing okay. I just never knew a frog could do so much damage!!!! What next? Turtles?

Gravity used to eat toads. My bf and his mom lived in a rural neighborhood where there are lots of critters, toads and tree frogs being a couple. She would chase the darn frogs around and come in foaming at the mouth. I think the urine is what causes the foaming? Anyway, one night we caught her with a toad in her mouth and when we told her to drop it and approached her, she swollowed it whole. She was ok though.

However, a dog at adoptions that was notorious for eating stuff....first he lost control of his bladder and when I took him out of the cage to clean it up, he collapsed on the floor. I picked him up and he went limp as I rushed him to the vet in the store. His pupils were dialated and not responding to light and his gums turned white. The vet said the only other time they had seen this was when a dog ate a frog. He came through it ok, after giving us all heart attacks.
    Love is Adoptable. Adopt a Pit Bull.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Animals Die.

If Pit Bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Pit Bulls.

QUOTE: when we told her to drop it and approached her, she swollowed it whole.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gross! I'm glad she was okay though! Maybe she thought it would turn into a prince!

Seriously, I'm so glad she was okay.

this was our potential frog chaser at
    3 mos. old...that was a day or two before
    we moved to califonia...and we never gave
    it another thought...now that we are back
    in arkansas...we were concerned, because
    he still chases things like a puppy...he won't
    eat anything, he just pokes at it (bugs...
    lizards..etc.) until they stop moving...his
    favorites are crickets...we'll just have to
    keep a closer eye on him...

~siggy by LEXILOVER~thanx~

What an adorable puppy! Why do dogs touch, poke at, roll on and eat everything they see??!!!

you got me..? why couldn't he roll in the
    cinnamon i spilled on the floor the other
    day?... then he would really smell
    yummy...

~siggy by LEXILOVER~thanx~

Funny!