Thread: Prosthetic Paw Could Give Cat Second Life

Prosthetic Paw Could Give Cat Second Life

NBC 17
    Prosthetic Paw Could Give Cat Second Life
    N.C. State Vets Perform Groundbreaking Surgery

POSTED: 6:30 pm EST March 22, 2005
    UPDATED: 8:02 pm EST March 22, 2005

RALEIGH, N.C. -- George Bailey has never taken a step in his life, but that could soon change because of a groundbreaking surgery by North Carolina State University veterinarians.

The tuxedo cat was born a year and a half ago with only part of his hind legs. His owners said he made up in personality what he lacked in physical size.

Prosthetic Paw Attached To Cat

"George Bailey is the runt of the litter, so he's very small. But he fights, knocks around. He doesn't know he's this little bitty runt," Al Simmons said.

But the Simmonses wanted to make his life a little easier, so they called Dr. Denis Marcellin-Little at the N.C. State College of Veterinary Medicine to do something that had never been done before -- attach a prosthetic paw to the cat's actual leg bone.

The surgery is so rare it's been performed on just 70 humans worldwide.

The inner core of the prosthesis is made of porous metal -- material that actually allows the bone to grow into the new foot with the help of tiny screws.

Prosthetic limbs usually act as sleeves and are attached on the outside of the skin. Marcellin-Little, an assistant professor of orthopedic surgery who operated on the cat for more than two hours Tuesday, said that would be nearly impossible with a frisky feline like George Bailey.

"After a month, the bone will have grown into the prosthesis. I will place the lower part of the leg, and then we train George Bailey to walk on his new foot," Marcellin-Little said.

It could take four to six weeks to figure out how well the cat's paw heals. If all goes well, Marcellin-Little might perform surgery on the other leg. The vet school picked up most of the tab for the initial surgery.

"We've gotten so used to his little cock-side pirouette dance he does. You'd say we might miss that, but not really because he'll be able to actually walk," Simmons said.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    I bookmarked that article in case I needed to have legs made for Gabriel, my two legged tabby lump! Great story..and here's the one I stuck aside (with pics)
    http://rdu.news14.com/content/headli...=66026&SecID=2
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

How remarkable! I hope his new leg works!!!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!! I sure hope it works for the little guy. What a difference that would be for George Bailey. WOW!

,thier Friend Gerge Bailey,named
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS