Thread: Does your pet know when your calling his/her name?

Does your pet know when your calling his/her name?

My dog Tiger does. He's such a good boy!
    "Looking into a dogs eyes to me is like looking into life it'self"
    From Tiger and Chelsea
    (e-mail me at [email protected])

Yes, DogFan, Daisy knows when I call her, but most of the time she chooses to ignore me unless she feels like it.
    Perry comes as soon as I call him.

LOL! Selective doggie hearing! The Cody knows his name for sure: comes to:
    go outside to do his "things"
    go outside just to sit and do his thing
    eat
    treat
    walk (after he is actually walking..err..sniffing..it's debatable whether he knows his name, esp if I'VE had enough)
    Also responds to: Sweetie, pups, lovey, cookie-pie, puppyface, honey, sweet potata, pumpkin, toots, goofy, silly-willy etc, but ONLY if it benefits him (above list, plus tons of kisses and hugs) Too clever for his own good! Got me wrapped around his big ole paws!

I've been Boooo'd!

Daisy knows her name, but she doesn't always come when I call it

Speaking of knowing names... at the bottom of my street there is a little video store and ice cream place. The girl who works at the ice cream place loves Daisy, but for the longest time she kept calling her Maggie by accident for some reason. Now she knows that it's Daisy, but she still calls her Maggie, and Daisy now answers to that! Then again, she also answers to all the funyn nicknames my family has come up with... Daze, Daisy Mae, Daisy Maizy, Houndy, Hound Dog, Hound Dog Roo(roo because that is what her howl sounds like!), Roo Roo, Roobles, and Daisy Roo

[ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: Daisy's Mom ]

My Buddy will come when I talk to him - if he feels like it. He is getting much better. Praise and treats have helped. Sometimes he won't even lift his head to see what you want! All the dogs we have had b/4 at least looked up to see if it was worth getting up for

Ah, yes ~ FurKids and their selective hearing ~

"Cinder": Sort of depends on where she is... Inside we respond fairly quickly (at least raise an earbone and consider a response ). If the Master's Voice comes from the kitchen; don't get in the road - you'll get trampled! Outside, especially when running free - it's more likely "Chill, Dad; I'm busy right now." When she does finally decide to wander toward the voice, she'll ALWAYS pause, when within sight, to go through the motions of *go pee*. Her way of explaining why she couldn't come immediately.

"Smokey": Inside, outside; doesn't matter... "I'ma commin, Dad ; whatcha need!?" Wag, Wag, Wag!!

"Boots, the Kat": With two exceptions, the reaction is the same - "Huh? Kats don't *come*; ya oughta know that by now!" First exception: opening the bathroom closet (where his krunchies are kept) gets you a kat within 30 seconds from anywhere in the house. Second exception: opening the fridge and rustling the wrapper on a slice of cheese - gets you a kat, ON the counter and waving a paw, within 20 seconds!

Similar results can be had with the dawgs if either the biskit jar is just *bumped*, the cabinet where the biskit box is stored is opened (only cabinet with DOUBLE magnet latches - they hear the double-click!), and lastly if the hall closet (where the dog krunchie metal can is stored) is opened.

The most amazing sound they respond to is when the computer at work is being shut down prior to departing towards the home Ranch and dinner... Both mutts can be sound - really SOUND - asleep under the puter desk. Click Windows shut-down and the program starts packing up, closing files and gets ready to stop spinning the hard drive. They HEAR the hard drive slow down! Paws an Tails start to fly - it's a wonder they don't kill each other in the scramble to get out from under the desk!

Selective hearing? It's an art form practiced by every FurKid I've even known!

[ July 21, 2001: Message edited by: Cinder & Smoke ]
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Noah comes to "kitten!' in a high-pitched tone....We didn't take into account that when we said "no" and "Noah" that it sounded the same to him...oops!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Yes, Misty knows and comes to me when I call for her. Unless she is being naughty then she ignors me just like a human child. I swear she thinks she is human. She is a big cat and looks like a coon so my husband calls her Critter and she answers to that name too!! She answers to mama's Baby too!! She definitly knows her name and talks to us often.

Hi. My Toby comes when i call his name. But when he is slow coming to me I know he is up to something. [email protected]

Bo knows her name, and will lift her head and look in my direction when I call her. But she will only come when she thinks I will rub her tummy or give her some food

Drake knows his name when I call it. He also resonds to 2 dozen other nicknames I call him. He won't come if he is eating, thinks his daddy is going out without him, or if he is too tired.