Thread: Bitsy got a haircut ~before/ after pics

Bitsy got a haircut ~before/ after pics

I gave Bitsy a haircut today, well actually I totally shaved her down.
    It still needs a little touching up, especially her feet, but we were both getting tired. I'll finish up the last little bit tomorrow.

Bitsy Before:

Bitsy after:

I have to admit I don't love it, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I miss the hair, but it will grow back.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Still got the beautiful fluffy tail.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole

...and the sweet face!!!

~siggy by LEXILOVER~thanx~

Just wondering why you shaved Bitsy? She had such a lovely coat .

5. Yeah,, im wondering that too. whyd you shave her?
    now it ill grow back in twice as thick.

She was pretty before..I am sure she will be cool for the summer tho...just a big shock, I bet..she is still a cutie. I don't want to get Gracie shaved for the summer but I may have to, she has such a thick coat..has to be more comfy tho

Actually, the long haired dogs are more comfortable in summer WITH their hair than without. The hair actually insulates from the heat. And if they do get shaved, they are suseptible to sunburn!

I'd love to cut all of Bella's hair off, but I'l just thin the really thick parts, trim some of the extra-long, and brush a lot.

And shaving does not make hair come in thicker. There are still the same number of hair follicles, which is where the hair comes from.

Mary
    Last edited by mruffruff; 04-01-2005 at 10:07 AM.

I have to tell you that I love to see my Goldens with the hair they were born with, but we are going to trim down ours in the coming weeks as well. The hair grows back, but it does mean that they will not have the constant shedding for a while. A good haircut, not a shave, is not terrible for them. Shoot, we get our own hair trimmed periodically. I can't help but think that my Honey, especially, is going to feel much better with that sheep like wool removed, brushed out, and a good bath to give her a fresh start for spring.

KBlaix, I'm assuming your thoughts were the same for Bitsy! She is adorable!!!

Looks like a mini lion!! I like her new haircut. I gave Bouncer a hair cut a few days ago too. It don't look the best, but hey he's much cooler, and it was free. lol! I think Bitsy is cute with her new due!

I like her spring doo.
    It sure will be easier to keep up.
    Cute.

----<---<--<{(@

I shaved it for so many reasons. 1 being that we live in florida and it gets HOT!!! Last year during the hurricanes I worried about her getting over heated. Not only did we have no power or a/c for days (no a/c for 2 weeks the first time), the air was also very thick and still, it was the most uncomfortable weather I have ever experienced. Sunburn isn't an issue as she doesn't stay outside, she just goes out to potty and then comes back inside, not to mention our yard is very shaded.
    reason 2 is she has horrible allergies and all that hair really holds the pollen and other allergens. I have to bathe her often in an allergy shampoo, but her hair made it hard.
    Reason 3 is she hated to be brushed, and let's face it, that hair is a lot of brushing.
    Reason 4 is her hair likes to mat, even with daily brushings. After a bath it's mat city.

I have to say the last 2 days she has been acting like a puppy again. I think she is more comfortable. I should have been shaving her down for the last 4 years. I do think she is prettier with her long hair, but she does look really cute now, like a puppy.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

i am thinking about getting bella trimmed for the summer too. she gets to many knots and HATES to be brushed. the only think that is stopping me is she looks like a little white rat when she its trimmed.

Bella will definitely get a trim for the summer. South Carolina has some awfully muggy weather too. And I sure get tired of cleaning up the fall out.

Scruffy needs a good trim also. He hates to get brushed. His hair is double coated so it mats easily.

Scruffy

Stewart says whats wrong wif a white rat?

Originally posted by mruffruff
    Actually, the long haired dogs are more comfortable in summer WITH their hair than without. The hair actually insulates from the heat. And if they do get shaved, they are suseptible to sunburn!
    I've heard this, mostly about Huskies, but Gonzo is shaved every summer (2 or 3 times) and he loves it. He has 5x more stamina, and during shedding season his coat can be a mess... it gets really dry and irritated because it requires thorough brushing twice a day, he itches more, and leaves tons of hair everywhere in the house! it's really not fun for anyone. He's only really outside when we exercise him or he's going potty, and they don't shave him all the way so he still has short fur He's going in at 1 today to get his cut!

I think Bitsy looks adorable! You did a good job on her... I've tried to trim Gonzo, it just doesn't work for me

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz