Thread: Anal irritation??

Anal irritation??

My 6 year old yellow Lab sits on his "butt" and tries to "scoot" like it itches or is irritated somehow. Can anyone suggest what is going on and how to treat?

The most common reason is to express the anal glands (which have a horrible oder) If it gets to be to often have the vet check him. I haven't found a way to stop it .although embarassing at times its actually a good thing.
    This is what I have seen in my dogs others may have ideas for other reasons.

Check for worms

Check for worms when this happens. That can be a cause. Also does it happen after going to the bathroom? He/she may have a "Dingleberry" hanging. Maybe a good cleansing might help occassionally. Good luck!
    Scooby, Shaggy the "Dogs", Ms. Thang the "Cat" and introducing Measley Weasle "The Ferret".

Due to the broadness of a Lab

they are very prone to Anal gland plugging. The folds of the muscle tissue just doesn't lend itself to the dog being able to express the glands on bowel movements. My previous Lab dog played scooty butt regularly. My current two mixes don't seem to have the problem, although they are not as broad in the rear area.

Dry food is better than canned or moist food for dogs with this problem.

A friend of mine had his dog's anal gland burst, it was horrible!
    You should take your pup to the vet!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Our dogs are pretty good at not needing their glands emptied, but we do it ourselves if they get bad. You should take your dog to the vet and have them teach you how, unless its too gross for you.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

My dog use to scoot his butt also he had his anal glands removed due to such a bad odor all the time. Still he continued wormed him and every other thing we could nothing seemed to work. We started him on the BARF diet which is raw food diet with in the first couple of days we noticed that he was no longer scooting although we changed his diet for other reasons.