Thread: Question About Grooming

Question About Grooming

Hope somebody can help me...I went to book a grooming appointment for Fenway. He is a 20 pound terrier/mutt (kind of looks like a Border Terrier/Schnauzer type of dog). Anyhow, I normally have his hair cut and sometimes I get him shaved (when it's super hot out). Today, they asked me if I wanted to do what they normally do for terriers. I think they said stripping but to be honest, I've totally forgotten! Anybody out there own a terrier? If so, what kind of haircuts do your dogs get? Have you ever heard of stripping? I couldn't find anything on the web about terrier haircuts or terrier stripping. Does stripping let them keep their hair length? Any advice or comments?

Thank you!

http://members.aol.com/msbritmor/hndstrip.html http://www.zooclub.ru/eng/dogs/uhod/7.shtml
    These websites should have good info for you. It's not absolutely necessary, some like the softer coat, but if your dog has a wiry coat and doesn't shed much the dead hairs should be removed using a stripping knife or by hand. I'd assume that the grooming place would use a knife because its faster and causes less stress to a dog that's never been stripped. I use a stripping knife on my toller in the summer to trim her overblown undercoat so she stays cooler. I also think it looks better as she doesn't look so lightly coloured. It completely up to you to decide if you want the coat stripped or not. Any pics of your dog?
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

stripping is when they pluck the hairs rather then cut or shave, all show dog terriers with a wire coat are stripped as its the only way to keep there hair coarse, when its shaved it gets soft and for a showdog that is bad. we have to strip our JRT, while she mostly has a smooth coat, she has a part on he back that is wire, and brushing does nothing to remove all her loose hair, so we have to pluck.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Thanks for the explanations. I only have old pictures of Fenway. I don't have a scanner so I can't attach new ones. So, find Fenway attached.

Thanks again.

oops
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I am confused, do they simple shear the dog with this "stripping knife" or do they pluck out the hairs? when you say plucking, do you mean actually plucking the hairs out, like i pluck my eyebrows? isn't that painful for the dogs?

you pluck the loose hairs lol, you use your thumb and curled index finger, and sort of rub you thumb and finger upwards and it removes all the loose hair. a stripping knif I believe is a metal thing with a handle and teeth along the metel, its generally for romving the loose undercoat of longer haired dogs.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

sorry , my mistake, I was getting confused between a stripping knife and another tool. apperntly a stripping knife removes the old topcoat and alows for a nice new undercoat to grow in. I dunno I have never even heard of it lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:

"sister" to:

Snowy is broken coated so I need to brush her and strip her loose hair as well She doesn't need a haircut though.

thanks k9krazee for the signature!

Aww what a cutie. With the stripping knife they go along smaller areas of the coat in the same way you would shear a dog. When you hand strip the coat it is much the same as plucking the eyebrows one at a time but it is in much less sensitive areas. Compare it to when you brush your hair and dead hairs come out on the brush, you usually don't feel the hairs come out.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton