Thread: help !!!!

Unhappy help !!!!

i am having a problem with my bull terrier bitch, she has just had a litter and this has calmed her down no end, but the problem i have is she keeps sneaking into my bed room and wetting on my bed, not wetting anywhere else in the house, even when left for long periods, just seems to be when we are at home.
    someone help cos its doing my head in.

Two of the last four dogs I have had have on a couple occasion peed on the bed. Not only that, they did it right in front of me. Of course this gave me the opportunity to confront the behavior head on which was an extremely stern scolding. Actually that is putting it mildly because I turned into *crazy lady*. The result was that they both got the message that this was unacceptable behavior....VERY unacceptable. I do not believe in physical punishment for my dogs, but my behavior put the fear of Mom into them. Thankfully the peeing on the bed did not happen more than one or two times with the one dog and probably three times with the other dog. Neither of them wanted to live with a crazy lady.

If your dog has just had puppies, you might want to have the Vet check to see she does not have any urinary problems which might contribute to this behavior.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

It could be a number of problems. She could have a unirary infection of some sort, and marking the bed is trying to tell you something's wrong! It could also be dominance, try not to allow her on furniture or the bed and start NILIF, it's probably somehow related to maternal instinct. Have a vet check her out at her next litter check-up (if she still has the litter?), until then close your bedroom door

Also, a litter "calming down" females is a myth. Only maturity, training, and exercise can truly calm a young dog down. Spaying your dog (of course once her litter is weaned and sold) will help 100% with marking behaviors of intact females, and also prevent many health problems.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

I agree with BCkrazy. Once that litter of puppies is weaned, don't expect her to stay calm for very long. You are lucky that she is being calm because she could be a hormonal terror. Unlike cats and people, when a dog has a bladder infection they pee more instead of just squatting and nothing coming out and they pee in places they usually never would, like your bed. If she has a urinary infection she probably won't be able to nurse the puppies anymore if she has to be put on antibiotics so be prepared to start bottle feeding. Welcome to the joys of raising a litter.
    Love is Adoptable. Adopt a Pit Bull.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Animals Die.

If Pit Bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Pit Bulls.

thanks all, your help and advice has been well recieved and i thank you again.

If she checks out with the vet then this behaviour is usually a sign of stress, especially in a new mum.
    Have a good look at her situation with the pups. Make sure she is in a private place and be very strict with visitors in the early days. She may be feeling insecure and is attempting to take a higher dominance in the pack to ensure her pups' safety and survival. Marking the "true" den area, the place where the "alpha" should sleep, suggests that she is reinforcing her ownership of the den and trying to increase security.

Oh - and - puppies do not calm bitches.
    Last edited by carrie; 03-30-2005 at 02:10 AM.